PDA

View Full Version : Considering doing Seek the Peak...

h2oeco
04-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I am considering doing Seek the Peak this year (haven't signed up yet). I have some hiking experience, but have only hiked on Mount Washington a little bit. I'm wondering what to expect. i.e. - what is a "typical" time for getting up and/or down? What is a good trail to start with?

Thanks for your help, ideas, and information.

Ed

Brad
04-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I like going up Lions Head - gets you out in the open with great views. Then summit and down Tuckermans. If you feel the whole thing is too much, then go to the Junction after getting above treeline and down Tuckermans without the summit portion. Still a great day.

This way you are also close to dinner when you get down.

Tim&Val
04-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Last year for STP, Tim & I went the same way as Brad. The views are very nice. I don't know what's 'typical' or 'book time' for that hike, but we started at 7:30am and got to the summit around 11:30... left the summit around 12:30 and finished at 3:30pm.

I was very slow and deliberate on the downhill hiking in Tucks. Others do that downhill faster than I.

I've also done the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail to Crawford Path. I like this trail a lot!! On STP day, this trail probably gets less traffic than the trails that lead from/to Pinkham, because as Brad said, the dinner's on the Pinkham side of the mountain.

Valerie

Bill O
04-13-2008, 08:26 AM
The typical book time for a round trip is around 8 hours. At just over 8 miles you can imagine thats a fairly slow pace.

Either way, nobody said you have to make it to the summit to participate in STP. You could always just hike to Lions Head or enjoy the deck at Hermit Lake.

Brad
04-13-2008, 08:36 AM
That is why it is called "Seek" The Peak.

I used to hear 1 mile an hour and an extra 30 minutes per 1,000 foot elevation gain as a rule of thumb. 4 - 5 hours is a good time going up, especially for a "desk jockey" like me. Coming down is normally faster. Last summer my time up was slow partly because of all the stops to take pictures (good excuse). Going down was slow because my progressive lens did not help me see where I was stepping - and there was a slight drizzle making the rocks slippery. It was a long day but I was in time for dinner.

Here are pictures from that hike.
http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/hikes/2007_hikes/2007-07-28-stp/

h2oeco
04-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the tips, ideas, info. I haven't signed up yet, don't know my plans yet, but it would be good to meet up with some of you.

Ed

KD Talbot
04-13-2008, 01:33 PM
The AMC White Mountain Guide 'Book Time" is calculated at 1/2 hour for each mile or 1000' of elevation gain. Of course, there are many variables such as, fatigue, weight of pack, weather conditions, to name a few.

The climb up Tuck's is estimated at 4 hrs and 15 min. to cover the 4.2 miles and 4250' of elevation gain. Up Lion Head is only slightly shorter at 4.1 mile, same EG and 4 hrs 10 minutes.

For anybody that is not sure of their ability or who may just want a taste of what hiking on MW may be like without tackling the entire climb to the summit, I would suggest hiking up the Boott Spur Trail to Harvard Rock. It is 1.7 miles, 1750" EG and offers a tremendous view into Tuckerman Ravine and across to Huntington Ravine, Lion Head and up to the summit. Leaving from the Pinkham Notch visitor Center on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail Boott Spur Trail diverges left at .4 miles. If at Harvard Rock one decides they would like to go on it is another 1.2 miles and 1450' EG to the summit of Boott Spur. From here one could continue to the summit, or descend through Tuckerman Ravine.

KDT

Bill O
04-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Just sign up. Figure out the details later.

You'll have a great time and Obs will benefit.

h2oeco
04-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Just signed up...

http://www.seekthepeak.org/mypage/ecomalley

Thanks for your ideas and encouragement...

:-)

Ed

Brad
04-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Excellent! We will see you there - assuming I can get my act together and figure out a workable schedule also.