PDA

View Full Version : Everest 2008

Bill O
04-14-2008, 09:13 AM
If you like following climbers on Mount Everest this guy has a great blog and video feed setup for his attempt on Everest this spring. He is climbing with Alpine Ascents and has hauled some pretty impressive technology to basecamp.

Mount Everest 2008 (http://www.mounteverest2008.com/tabid/83/Default.aspx)

The "blogs" and "videos" link have the most content, but the rest of his site has some great trip reports from around the world.

Brad
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Great - thanks.

BlueDog
04-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Let's hope all the teams actually have a chance at making a Summit attempt this year! I've been keeping up on the activity there.

Sounds like in the last day or two, military are keeping things under lock down at Base camp, even on the Nepal side, to make sure noone is going up the mountain.

They've also banned any commercial flights to-from basecamp and sightseeing around the mountain (unless its an emergency.)

This is a great blog that I subscribe to. It's my morning ritual reading material. The Adventure Blog (http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/everest-2008-nepali-military-in-bc.html)

Bill O
04-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Sounds like Russell Brice will be sending his crew up the south side with the rest of the climbers this season. I wonder if The Discovery Channel will be there this year.

BlueDog
04-15-2008, 09:57 AM
If you are interested in Everest, have you seen the Rest of Everest (http://www.restofeverest.com/) podcast?

Having watched the Discovery productions on Everest and then this podcast series, I feel like Discovery is really ripping me off in their stuff and that they don't give a true picture of whole journey.

Jon Miller, the producer of it just does an incredible job at painting the whole picture of planning, traveling to Nepal and Tibet, the people and culture, what basecamp is REALLY like and long process it is to making the trek to the summit.

I HIGHLY recommend subscribing and downloading all the episodes, and start from the beginning! Once you get hooked (and it won't take long) send him a donation and he'll give you the download for the movie that he made from the footage.

I have no affiliation with him other than I was so impressed by the podcast, I've communicated with him several times, as he does love to hear from his viewers. This series now have me dreaming of making the trip to Tibet to explore and hike!

Bill O
04-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Don't forget. On the south side you trek 50 miles or so to basecamp. In Tibet you drive to basecamp and have only a 1-2 day trek to ABC.

Discovery has left out quite a bit, but remember the show is not for mountaineers, its for everybody else. They've also done an amazing job filming at high altitudes and showing what the upper part of the mountain looks like.

MelNino
04-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Will Brice able to take a team up this year? I loved the Discovery show (its on my iPod, watch when I go to the gym...to train for Mt Washington, lol)

I tried downloading "The Rest Of Everest" from iTune....never worked,,,grrrg

Bill O
04-28-2008, 08:45 PM
I heard they moved their expedition to the south side. I have no idea if The Discovery Channel crew is with them though.

Should be interesting. I'm sure he's familiar with the Nepal route, but its not his expertise.

MelNino
04-28-2008, 10:52 PM
I havent seen anything on the Discovery site...oh well.

LOL, after I mentioned I couldn't download the Rest of Everest....iTunes decided to work, and it's downloading :)

Bill O
04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I havent seen anything on the Discovery site...oh well.

The show is not on until the fall and they tend to be very secretive about the production. We'll see.

BlueDog
04-29-2008, 04:58 PM
LOL, after I mentioned I couldn't download the Rest of Everest....iTunes decided to work, and it's downloading :)

Very good! Let me know how you like it. Jon's a great guy, I'll be wearing one of his t-shirts from Tibet when I summit on STP day! If you look at my STP page he actually was one of the first to sponsor me. :)

MelNino
04-29-2008, 07:51 PM
I've watch the first 4 ep so far, and I'm completely hooked :) I like the "behind the scenes" aspect of this podcast

MelNino
05-05-2008, 09:16 AM
There's a new Everest book coming out..."Dark Summit" or something similar, about the 2006 year and Brice's involvement. I'm thinking of getting....comes out this month.

BlueDog
05-05-2008, 03:10 PM
I'll have to look that one up. I think I missed the recent documentary that was on NGC (?)... called "The Storm on Everest" or something like that.

Glad to hear you like the podcast! His stuff is great and so addictive! The second round he and a friend just go back to visit Tibet and focus on the culture and is just fascinating.

MelNino
05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Very cool.....right now I am up to where they are about to arrive at base camp :) I watch an ep or two on my lunch breaks

Bill O
05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
The Olympic torch is just about to reach the summit of Mount Everest...if it hasn't already.

If you can leave politics out of this, its actually a pretty cool accomplishment. Its even better news for the Everest climbers that have been waiting for the mountain to re-open.

Bill O
05-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Unreal....live coverage on Chinese tv right now.

http://en.beijing2008.cn/video/activities/pxplive/

It has the quality of a live sporting on US tv.

Bill O
05-07-2008, 09:11 PM
9:10pm edt. I don't know exactly what is happening, but I think they are just below the summit about to light the official torch (the one you see on tv). The summit is capped in clouds and it looks very cold. Which is to be expected this time of year.

9:13pm. The torch is lit, the flame looks like a blow torch and they are feet from the summit. I'ver never seen so many people on the summit ridge.

9:15pm. The climber just handed the torch off to another climber and said "One World One Dream" in english.

9:18pm. The torch is on the summit.

MelNino
05-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Leaving the politics out, it is cool they were able to do that.

I hope everyone gets down safely

Bill O
05-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I hope everyone gets down safely

I hope so too. Sure are a lot of people on the mountain. Many have had their oxygen off for several minutes and they are using a lot of energy celebrating.

MelNino
05-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I wonder how die-hard Everest climbers feel about this? Me thinks I'll pop over to their site, :)

Bill O
05-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm biased, but I don't care. I consider myself a die-hard mountaineer and I think its really cool. It doesn't hurt that I also love the Olympics. I'm also capable of differentiating between politics and the Olympics.

Bill O
05-07-2008, 09:45 PM
The summit is still capped in clouds, but the winds appear light. Its around 10am local time so the time window is still open.

I just lost the English feed, but the Chinese version is still going. If my wife wasn't busy upstairs she could do the translating.

MelNino
05-07-2008, 10:04 PM
lol, awesome Bill :)

I have mixed feelings about this, just hope all come down safely! (and with all their fingers and toes)

(and I am not the biggest fan of the Olympics....only because they rarely show Equestrian.....grr)

Bill O
05-07-2008, 10:16 PM
They're showing some "highlights" now from below the summit ridge. The footage is as good as what we have seen on the Discovery Channel, but this was also being broadcast live in China.

Magpie
05-15-2008, 07:59 AM
I hope so too. Sure are a lot of people on the mountain. Many have had their oxygen off for several minutes and they are using a lot of energy celebrating.

They will. Vern T and the other guides know what there doing.

Bill O
05-21-2008, 05:52 PM
The first wave of climbers is off to the summit on the South side. Thankfully our AAI blogger is hanging back a day to wait for weather and these 200 climbers to clear the route.

http://www.humanedgetech.com/expedition/curtin/images/Lhotse.jpg

mtruman
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
The first wave of climbers is off to the summit on the South side. Thankfully our AAI blogger is hanging back a day to wait for weather and these 200 climbers to clear the route.

Seeing that line of climbers heading for the summit is unreal. Looks more like a summer day on Mt Washington or Franconia Ridge than on Everest. Let's hope that this doesn't keep escalating until it creates an even greater disaster than '96. Too many people up there that have no business being there.

Bill O
05-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Seeing that line of climbers heading for the summit is unreal. Looks more like a summer day on Mt Washington or Franconia Ridge than on Everest. Let's hope that this doesn't keep escalating until it creates an even greater disaster than '96. Too many people up there that have no business being there.

It does include Sherpas that could just be ferrying gear to Camp IV. On the other hand, most of the teams from the North Col route are in Nepal this year. Its going to be interesting over the next two days.

Bill O
05-21-2008, 09:29 PM
It looks like something is going on up there. I got this from everestnews.com

High drama and major concern on Everest as not everyone made it back to high camp yet. It is now dark in Nepal. Climbers going up are to run into climbers in trouble..... Numerous climbers are headed up......

While several climbers summited, others were still headed up late and "slow" as described by Sherpas ...

Stay Tuned..

This was posted today. AAI was at Camp III today, moving to Camp IV on the 22nd and summiting the 23rd.

Mark, have you seen anything on the other mountaineering forums?

mtruman
05-22-2008, 11:02 AM
It looks like something is going on up there. I got this from everestnews.com

This was posted today. AAI was at Camp III today, moving to Camp IV on the 22nd and summiting the 23rd.

Mark, have you seen anything on the other mountaineering forums?

I haven't seen anything - I've was out of town and a bit out of touch. Trying to catch up on the news today. Also saying a prayer for everyone up there...

Bill O
05-22-2008, 12:52 PM
I haven't seen anything - I've was out of town and a bit out of touch. Trying to catch up on the news today. Also saying a prayer for everyone up there...

I'm not sure anything happened. No bad reports coming in. The AAI team is at the South Col, its sunny and warm and they haven't reported any accidents. I think the nice weather has allowed climbers to take their time.

mtruman
05-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure anything happened. No bad reports coming in. The AAI team is at the South Col, its sunny and warm and they haven't reported any accidents. I think the nice weather has allowed climbers to take their time.

The latest on everestnews.com shows 73 summits and no deaths. Nothing about significant injuries or issues.

This article on MountEverest.net (http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=17295) says that there have been injured/ailing climbers being brought back down to camp and a report of 4 potential deaths yesterday which is later corrected to one and more rescue activity still going on. Also issues on the other peaks including a death on Makalu. Sounds like the weather today is good and hopefully the traffic jams don't cause more issues.

mtruman
05-27-2008, 09:29 AM
This weekend a 75 and 76 year old reached the summit of Everest! Oldest ever to reach the summit. The full article is here: http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=17306

Hopefully they aren't heading to NH this summer - I'd hate to get shown up by these guys at STP :rolleyes:

http://www.explorersweb.com/sitemedia/TSthumbs/everest/20080525xmiura4.jpg

RI Swamp Yankee
06-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Here is a story from the Providence Journal yesterday about Timothy Warren from RI that sumited on May 23. He was caught in the gridlock of climbers.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/mount_everest_man_06-15-08_CJAGU3E_v23.3db892e.html