PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Solo?

BlueDog
04-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Does anyone enjoy hiking/camping solo? I might have some time soon to o some hikes in southern Virginia, but given the short notice, my normal hiking partners wouldn't be able to make it. I'm thinking of hiking Mount Rogers Its a good distance from home in an area of the state I'm not familiar with.

Does anyone here go solo? If so, what kind of planning/precautions do take differently? Any other advice?

JimS
04-15-2008, 01:37 PM
I really enjoy hiking solo, but recognize and do my best to minimize the risks associated with it. You must realize that hiking alone means that you alone have to deal with any problems that arise...alone.

Solo hiking means that you carry all your own supplies, gear and safety equiptment, and alone possess the knowledge to use them. Hiking alone means that you have the experience to make consistently good decisions. It means that you take the extra responsibility of leaving detailed plans with someone, and make the effort to be out when you say you will be out. Hiking solo means that you have the skills to recognize changing conditions and respond within personal limits to situations that arise.

That being said, hiking alone allows you to engage youself wholly in the wilderness experience, to enjoy the beautiful solitude that surrounds you, and to undertake the experience at the pace that you desire. To me, these are worth the added risks ...

edog2007
04-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Sorry,I don't care if I was the best hiker in the world.I would never hike Mt Washington alone.

Every thing he said above is great advice.

KD Talbot
04-15-2008, 03:52 PM
I think the major thing about hiking solo is to leave an itinerary with someone you can trust to look for you or call SAR if you don't return when you are supposed to. Family and girlfriends are not good for this because they will try to talk you out of going in the first place.

Just write down where you will be and when you expect to return and leave it with a trusted friend. Make sure there is some leeway on the return time." I expect to be back Sunday night, but if I'm not at work Monday morning and I haven't called, send out SAR."

Otherwise, go have fun!

KDT

BlueDog
04-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks all for the good words! Good points on leaving an itinerary with someone. I'd make sure to have a good Topo, compass and my GPS with me. Food and water in case I get stuck somewhere and have to stay in one spot longer than planned.