PDA

View Full Version : A few quick questions for those more knowledgeable then I.

Acrophobe
04-17-2008, 10:31 AM
My dad has a couple days off, from tomorrow till Tuesday, and we're planning to seize this opportunity to go hiking. So far this winter, we've done a few climbs, but nothing serious. Tecumseh, Wonalancet and a few others. Fun, but I don't like having to climb trees at the summit to get a view, if you know what I mean. :)

We haven't yet decided where we're going, though, and I thought I'd seek advice here. My preference would be Washington itself, of course, but he's hesitant (understandably, I suppose) to risk the world's worst weather in anything but the height of summer. Though, did I read the weather report right - windchill of 45 today? That's warmer then when we went in July. Anyway, more realistically, I was thinking about Jefferson. I did it when I was a wee lad - 7 or 8 or something, but I don't remember much. In it's favor, though, is a 3000 foot high parking lot, which means by the time you park the car, you're halfway there. But I read in a guidebook that access is by a dirt road. Is that open in early spring? We have only a sedan, so couldn't really go off-roading to get to the trailhead.

Another climb we were thinking about this weekend is Cannon. A four thousand footer that we've never done, and only a four mile round trip. Anyone recommend it?

Also under consideration is Moosilauke. 4800 feet, and reputed to have a good view. And again, another 4000 mountain I haven't done. My concern is that it might be a bit much for my dad.

What do y'all think? Have any good mountains in mind that both have a good view, but aren't too much for my dad, a man nearing 60 now? Also, how far along is spring up there? Here in southern NH, the grass is green, the tulips blooming, and the snow but a distant memory. Obviously, we'd encounter snow at the upper elevations, but what about down below?

Thanks for your help. :)

FisherCat
04-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Below is a link for the status of the Jefferson Notch Road with access to Caps Ridge Trail. Don't let the starting elevation fool you, though it be 3000ft, it makes you pay for it anyway elsewhere. Right now Jefferson Notch Road is closed, but at least you can monitor it with this site. Moosilaukee is a GREAT hike, we wne tup via Gorge Brook Trail this past summer and it was one of our favorite ascents, not too bad on the bod. That doesn't provide for its condition at present, but for views it is definitely worth it!
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/roads_status.php

Bill O
04-17-2008, 01:13 PM
The weather on Friday looks to be pretty forgiving. If you are well prepared, sneaking up Washington could be easily accomplished.

Normal precautions still apply.

rockin rex
04-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Parking at Lowe's store and then taking Lowe's path up and around to Jefferson is a nice hike. This is a nice approach to Jefferson.

KD Talbot
04-17-2008, 07:21 PM
As previously stated Jefferson Notch Road is closed. If you choose to do Gorge Brook Trail on Moosilaukee add 4 miles to the trip as there will be a two mile road walk to the lodge. There is considerable amount of snow still in the woods. The trails down below are very slushy and walking on the formerly packed trails is like walking a balance beam. If you slip off you will post hole to your hip. Snowshoes will still be the preferred method of travel.

That said, Cannon from Lafayette Place up the Lonesome Lake Trail to the High Cannon Trail would be a good hike. Don't let the mileage fool you. It ain't the mileage, it's the elevation gain! The shorter the mileage just means the steeper the trail.

For a really great hike with your dad that neither of you should find too taxing and will offer great views, I would suggest the Crawford Path from Crawford Notch up to Mount Pierce. Tim took his dad there a few weeks ago. TR and pics from their trip here:

http://www.barkeater.ws/NH48/images/MtPierce/20080325/MtPierceFrames.htm

KDT

Acrophobe
04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
The weather on Friday looks to be pretty forgiving. If you are well prepared, sneaking up Washington could be easily accomplished.

Yes, if it's anything like today, it'll be great. All I could think about today was how I was wasting the day down here when I could have been up there. :) It was actually warmer and less windy today then on my July trip. Not to mention, better visibility: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Geeeeeeek/100_0578.jpg

Moosilaukee is a GREAT hike, we went up via Gorge Brook Trail this past summer and it was one of our favorite ascents, not too bad on the bod.

Yes, that one is looking better and better. Plus, I could check another one of the 48 off the list. :)

And thanks for that link to the road closure list - that's really handy.

The trails down below are very slushy and walking on the formerly packed trails is like walking a balance beam. If you slip off you will post hole to your hip.

Sounds a bit messy. Out of idle curiosity, when do the trails normally clear up? We've got King's Ravine and Mount Lafayette on our good weather to-do list - I was thinking maybe mid-May?

FisherCat
04-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Sounds a bit messy. Out of idle curiosity, when do the trails normally clear up? We've got King's Ravine and Mount Lafayette on our good weather to-do list - I was thinking maybe mid-May?

I think that will be the question of the year, with the snowpack its hard to tell. This thought comes only from the mind of a trailworker-trails are super susceptible to damage during the thaw months, if ruts and trenches that cause further damage are to form, the month of May is usually it. As a rule, trailworkers don't usually start work till after June 1, that is indicative of the vulnerability of our valuable trails.
That being said, wherever you go, have a blast.

Acrophobe
04-18-2008, 09:18 PM
You're one of the people who help maintain the trails? Allow me to thank you on behalf of my family, then. We've gotten a lot of satisfaction using the trails of the White Mountains over the years. :)

And I think we've decided on an attempt on Washington tomorrow - the forecast looks promising. I couldn't believe it today - 50 degree high? Is that a record? All I could think about was how I was squandering the day here. :)

Acrophobe
04-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, I tried to get my dad to do Washington, but he didn't think he could do it. And after today, I have to agree - the trails are terrible. Over the winter, they've been packed down, of course, and now that spring has arrived, the snow on the side of the trail is melting faster then the trails themselves. Like Talbot said - the balance beam really is an accurate way of describing it. And of course when you fall off, you fall to your waist or chest. I love spring hiking, with the great weather, but that really made the trip seem long. We did Mount Jackson today and it took about two hours round trip, but I've never done it before, so I don't know how that compares with a normal trip. I'm sure it's a lot less in full winter or in summer. :)

It was so bad that my dad actually turned back before the halfway mark. :(

Still, a glorious day. Perfect weather. Y'all want to see some pictures?

Here's the presidential range from the summit, tempting in it's apparent nearness:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Geeeeeeek/100_1376.jpg

This is looking south-ish, over Crawford Notch. I think. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Geeeeeeek/100_1393.jpg

And here's an extraordinarily friendly little bird at the summit:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Geeeeeeek/100_1388.jpg

And this, neither my dad nor I could identify. I think it's Tripyramid, he thinks it's Carrigain. It was taken looking roughly south-west:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Geeeeeeek/100_1382.jpg

And lastly, my faithful traveling companion:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Geeeeeeek/100_1432.jpg

A great day, but I don't think I'll go again til the trails clear up a bit.

billysinc
04-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Nice pix, your dad wins the prize, it's Carrigain.

Acrophobe
04-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Ha, oh well. Shows what I know. :)

KD Talbot
04-20-2008, 07:47 PM
I concur, that is Carrigain. Great pictures, glad you got out there!

KDT

Acrophobe
05-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Another question, comrades, I didn't want to start a new thread. We're planning to do Lafayette tomorrow, and were curious as to snow conditions on the trails. Will we still have to contend with the 'balance beam' in the middle of the trail, or is it largely gone? Anyone been up that way in the past couple days?