PDA

View Full Version : Tuckerman's Ravine - Sat 4/19

Tim&Val
04-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Hi!

We had a great time in Tuckerman's Ravine on Saturday. It was an incredible day with lots of warm sunshine, lots of skiers and spectators. We'd never been into the bowl during ski season before, but even the veterans that we spoke to said that the crowd was much bigger than they'd seen in the past.

Our Trip Report can be found here. (http://www.barkeater.ws/NH48/images/TuckermanRavine/20080419/TuckermansFrames.htm)

Brad, we looked for you and your son, but no luck. You were obviously there hours before we were, based on your earlier postings. As we entered the bowl, we took an immediate 90-degree left and were up there sitting amongst the tree-tops.

Valerie

Acrophobe
04-20-2008, 08:55 AM
That musta been great. I was hoping to go to Washington too yesterday, but my dad didn't want to. Did Jackson instead. Did you summit, or just stay in the Bowl?

What perfect weather yesterday, though, eh?

mtruman
04-20-2008, 09:04 AM
What a great day - and excellent TR and photos as always! Nothing like being out in the snow in shorts. :cool:

Your photos really capture the atmosphere of a perfect Spring day in Tucks - particularly the panorama at the end.

Brad
04-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Val, great report and wonderful pictures. I am still going through my pictures now. Some have started to be uploaded but will finish after church.

From where you had your mat Left Gully was on your left and a large rock. We were to the left of that rock and up a bit. In your pano we were to the left of the pirate flag. We left the area and started down at 12:30 PM. You captured the day and spirit of the event!

Bill O
04-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Did you say the helicopter rescued somebody off the headwall? Please elaborate. Does anybody have video of this?

Tim&Val
04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
That musta been great. I was hoping to go to Washington too yesterday, but my dad didn't want to. Did Jackson instead. Did you summit, or just stay in the Bowl?

What perfect weather yesterday, though, eh?

We just stayed in the bowl and watched the skiers. No aspirations for the summit that day. Jackson must have been a great hike too. Probably a few thousand less people :D How was that trail? Still holding together or also getting sloppy? Do you have pictures to share???? :)

EDITED BY VAL: Just found your pictures on the other thread! Looks like you had beautiful views. Sorry the trail was so bad.

We couldn't have asked for better weather!

We left the area and started down at 12:30 PM.

Brad, you must have arrived before most of the crowd. Did you get into the parking lot at Pinkham? If you left the bowl at 12:30, then you were probably fighting against the waves of people who were still coming up the trail. That must have been tight. We decided to wait it out until the tide seemed to start flowing the other way. Still it was challenging when we did come across people coming up from the shelter. Snow was getting softer too.

Valerie

Tim&Val
04-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Did you say the helicopter rescued somebody off the headwall? Please elaborate. Does anybody have video of this?

This is all I know...

The radio of the ranger sitting behind me starting going crazy. He got up and headed away in a big hurry. We hadn't seen anyone injured while skiing, so we didn't know what was up. Less than 5 minutes later, a black helicopter with a red cross on it came up from the direction of Rt 16 and right over the bowl. It went out of sight above the lip and was gone for just a couple minutes. Then it was back across the bowl again and gone.

When I said "top of the headwall", I may have misled. It was not close enough to the edge for us to see what was going on. My supposition that someone was being rescued was based on circumstantial evidence.

This was probably about 12:30pm.

Bill O
04-20-2008, 09:49 AM
I understand now. If it was gone for just a couple minutes maybe it didn't rescue anybody. That's very fast to set down and pick somebody up in a non-hostile environment. I guess we'll find out.

Acrophobe
04-20-2008, 09:57 AM
We just stayed in the bowl and watched the skiers. No aspirations for the summit that day. Jackson must have been a great hike too. Probably a few thousand less people How was that trail? Still holding together or also getting sloppy? Do you have pictures to share????

It really was great, but the trail was absolutely dismal. Hardest hiking I've ever done. I kept slipping off the trail into deep snow on either side. Closer to the summit, it was so deep that I'd sink to mid-chest. I'm new to non-summer hiking, so I didn't expect anything like this - back home, the grass is green with no snow in sight. Even Conway was relatively snow-less. But it was still neat - I had the summit to myself for most of my stay (my dad had turned back a while back). I've posted a few photos in another thread (I don't know how to display them like you do. I like that format), but here's one with Washington in the background. Can't quite make you out though, Valerie. :)

EDIT: Ah, yes. Guess this is kinda redundant, then. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Geeeeeeek/100_1364.jpg

spyboy
04-20-2008, 10:50 AM
You could have used a Chill Stick on the way up :) http://tinyurl.com/65j2am

K

Steve M
04-20-2008, 04:21 PM
You could have used a Chill Stick on the way up :) http://tinyurl.com/65j2am

K
Yea, load it up with beer!;)

Great day! I enjoyed both yours and Brads photos of the day. Thanks!

Tim&Val
04-20-2008, 05:35 PM
If we'd had a Chill Stick full of beer, I'm quite certain we could have made some serious cash!! :p

This was the first and only time when the hikers around us have been drinking Coors Light on the way up! I don't know how they did that and still made it up there!

As we were coming down, Tim said something like "You could have brought some wine for yourself..." and then we both said "NAH". I don't need anything to help me tangle up my feet on the way down. I do that quite well when I'm sober.

Valerie

Charlie
04-20-2008, 05:46 PM
very smart your not going there to drink

is there a lot of park rangers there ?

and very nice pictures

Tim&Val
04-20-2008, 06:00 PM
is there a lot of park rangers there ?

We saw rangers, ski patrol/first aid personnel (?) and some national guard members.

KD Talbot
04-20-2008, 07:49 PM
I guess you guys had a good time? Now, would I steer you wrong? ;)

KDT

Brad
04-20-2008, 07:55 PM
This was one great day! we had lawn chairs near us - a plastic palm tree - pirate flags - all sorts of characters. My son had not been back into the bowl itself in the winter. He loved it - as did I. Just sorry we did not meet up with Tim & Val especially since we were probably 40 feet apart.

Steve M
04-20-2008, 09:01 PM
This was one great day! we had lawn chairs near us - a plastic palm tree - pirate flags - all sorts of characters. My son had not been back into the bowl itself in the winter. He loved it - as did I. Just sorry we did not meet up with Tim & Val especially since we were probably 40 feet apart.
I don't understand why you didn't have ski's with you. The whole point of going into Tuck's at this time of year is to ski.:confused:

Brad
04-20-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't understand why you didn't have ski's with you. The whole point of going into Tuck's at this time of year is to ski.:confused:
I went to take pictures of others skiing.

Patrad Fischroy
04-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Not to mention the crowding. From the pictures, I would have to say that I have seen shorter lines at the lifts in Vail, Breckenridge, and Winter Park here in Colorado than the line of skiers walking up the slope there. Looks like it was a beautiful day there.

Tim&Val
04-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I guess you guys had a good time? Now, would I steer you wrong? ;)

KDT

You steered us 100% right! And it *was* your advice that set us on that path on that specific day! Thanks Kevin!

Steve M
04-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Not to mention the crowding. From the pictures, I would have to say that I have seen shorter lines at the lifts in Vail, Breckenridge, and Winter Park here in Colorado than the line of skiers walking up the slope there. Looks like it was a beautiful day there.
Skiing in Tuck's is free though. All you need is the energy to hike yourself and all your gear 2.5 miles then up the steep slope (each time you want to ski).;)

Charlie
04-21-2008, 07:47 PM
I went to take pictures of others skiing.

if it was all water you would have had your skies :D

KD Talbot
04-22-2008, 08:41 PM
It may have looked something like this:

http://www.ghostflowers.com/forumshots/12arangeley4182008.jpg

KDT

Brad
04-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Nope - my boots are smaller.

Charlie
04-23-2008, 07:08 AM
now that looks cooooooooold :eek:

Steve M
04-23-2008, 08:54 AM
now that looks cooooooooold :eek:
The water may be but the air looks warm...everyone has on short sleeve shirts.

Magpie
05-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi!

We had a great time in Tuckerman's Ravine on Saturday. It was an incredible day with lots of warm sunshine, lots of skiers and spectators. We'd never been into the bowl during ski season before, but even the veterans that we spoke to said that the crowd was much bigger than they'd seen in the past.

Our Trip Report can be found here. (http://www.barkeater.ws/NH48/images/TuckermanRavine/20080419/TuckermansFrames.htm)

Brad, we looked for you and your son, but no luck. You were obviously there hours before we were, based on your earlier postings. As we entered the bowl, we took an immediate 90-degree left and were up there sitting amongst the tree-tops.

Valerie

WOW that looks awsome. Very nice site too.
I already responded to some posts today and didnt want to seem like I was spamming, but I had to reply to your site and trip report. Excellant job.