PDA

View Full Version : a few questions on the upcoming hike....

mary
04-27-2008, 07:47 AM
what time does everyone try to be on the trail?....we started at 6 am last year and im thinking id like to leave even a little earlier this year....we were so close to making it to the top and having it be clear but didnt quite make it....i know its not a guarantee but i was interested if anyone ever started out earlier than 6am....also....it wont stop us but i was wondering will anyone be re considering the hike due to the gas prices?....i know some people travel a good distance....

Brad
04-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Mary - nice to see you again. I think I started last year around 6:30 or 6:15. Normally when I go to the summit I try to leave Pinkham by 7:15 or 7:30 at the latest. Last year for STP I knew I was out of shape and started a bit earlier than normal.

I think the answer is based on the condition you are in. Bill O will say you could leave Pinkham at 9AM and be finishing lunch at the summit by noon. But, that is Bill O :) My plan at this point is Lions Head - summit - special treats at MWO made by Steve - down Tuckermans Headwall - great dinner. I will probably aim for a 6:30am start.

Bill O
04-27-2008, 08:42 AM
There's no reason you can't start earlier. I always like getting on the trail as early as possible. Its not unusual for people to leave before sunrise.

With that said, the time you leave usually doesn't translate to getting to a clear summit. It depends on the weather pattern. During a fair weather pattern arriving early does increase the odds of beating clouds and storms. When the weather is more changeable it doesn't matter. You might beat a storm or arrive before it leaves.

If gasoline accounted for 90% of my monthly spending and prices went up 50% there would obviously be a problem. Since that's not the case current gas prices shouldn't effect my trip.

mary
04-27-2008, 09:05 AM
hi brad....ive been keeping up with the boards although i havent been posting all that much....youve been well, yes?....and i agree....bill o is exempt!....his time was incredible last year....i remain in awe of him....lol....i know that time of leaving doesnt guarantee a clear time at the summit....but we just missed it last year and my son would really like to leave as early as possible....so i thought id put it out there....

gas prices wont stop us but we hiked mt monadnock in jaffrey saturday and a ranger there was saying how many cancellations theyve had for the camp ground this year.....mostly due to gas prices....pretty sad and i wondered how it would possibly effect others for this trip....

i hope everyone has been well....we are very anxious and looking forward to this years hike....

Debi
04-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Not to get off the topic, but how was Monadnock? I plan on either that or north/south pack in the next few weeks and was wondering how the trails are.

Rich
04-27-2008, 09:39 AM
What if no one physically participated in STP and just donated the dollar amount that would be spent on their trip to the area to participate, gas money, hotel/campground fees, meals, etc.

The amount would for sure be greater than what we raise. Not to mention the amount saved on goodie bags, T-shirts, after hike party and any other non donated goods. I know, I know...I'm no fun! :(

Great Guinness Ghost
04-27-2008, 11:40 AM
What if no one physically participated in STP and just donated the dollar amount that would be spent on their trip to the area to participate, gas money, hotel/campground fees, meals, etc.

The amount would for sure be greater than what we raise. Not to mention the amount saved on goodie bags, T-shirts, after hike party and any other non donated goods. I know, I know...I'm no fun! :(

I get your point. It would help considerably. However, forum posts and virtual tours of Mt. Washington don't cut it for me. I love the Mt. too much and enjoy the comradarie of fellow hikers. Bill O is right. Gas prices be damned, I'm still there. I'll quit drinking beer in June if I have to. And that aint easy!! Right MeridenFF?

mary
04-27-2008, 01:45 PM
hi debi....monadnock is a great hike....off the top of my head i think its something like 3100 feet....its only a couple of hours from where we are so its easy to just go for a saturday and come back home....the views as most are....are amazing....i think anyone who hiked it would have a great time and really enjoy the day....

mary
04-27-2008, 01:46 PM
heres a pretty informative website you might find helpful....

http://www.qcc.mass.edu/brink/trav-rec/mt_monad/mmsummit.html

Debi
04-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks Mary. We've been up it before just not this early in the season. This is an "easy hike" to start training for STP. Not easy for me but just an afternoon walk for my sister and her husband (Tim&Val). It's a start for me.

Brad
04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks Mary. We've been up it before just not this early in the season. This is an "easy hike" to start training for STP. Not easy for me but just an afternoon walk for my sister and her husband (Tim&Val). It's a start for me.
Ah, so you are connected to Tim & Val! Or was that Val & Tim?

STP will happen for me. I am in Maine now - back to NC this coming weekend. Then will be back in Maine for Memorial Day weekend - mid-June to get the docks in - 4th of July week - then STP. It would be nice to get one additional summit attempt in before STP. Then another climb in August or Labor Day weekend would really cap off a good summer. 2 climbs in a summer is good. 3 climbs is wonderful.

BlueDog
04-28-2008, 11:09 AM
gas prices wont stop us but we hiked mt monadnock in jaffrey saturday and a ranger there was saying how many cancellations theyve had for the camp ground this year.....mostly due to gas prices....pretty sad and i wondered how it would possibly effect others for this trip....

For me personally, I had such an incredible time last year that STP is a go no matter how high the gas prices are. However, I am budgeting other things around in order to compensate. Not so many races or hiking trips that are a further drive away.

I'm also planning on making the most out of the gas I use to get up there from VA (a good 10+ hour drive) by spending more then just the 2 1/2 days I did last year. My hiking buddy and I are going to take a few extra days and get a good 2 more days of hiking in before/after STP.

That area of NH is on the very short list of my favorite place in the country, so this is going to be my vacation.

MeridenFF
05-06-2008, 07:12 PM
I get your point. It would help considerably. However, forum posts and virtual tours of Mt. Washington don't cut it for me. I love the Mt. too much and enjoy the comradarie of fellow hikers. Bill O is right. Gas prices be damned, I'm still there. I'll quit drinking beer in June if I have to. And that aint easy!! Right MeridenFF?

Geez if you quit drinking beer you will certainly save enough money for the gas to get there and back. I on the other hand will work more OT for the money to buy gas and beer. Also, if you quit drinking that doesn't mean you don't have to carry my beer to the top when I win the bet.

Steve M
05-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Well, you guys don't have to bring me any beer. Since I will be working I can't drink it...at least until I come down.:D

Great Guinness Ghost
05-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Well, you guys don't have to bring me any beer. Since I will be working I can't drink it...at least until I come down.:D

I'll see to it that MeridenFF saves you one!

mtruman
05-07-2008, 09:07 AM

We'd probably end up with more funds overall, but I think that those getting a lot of pledges would have a harder time if they weren't doing something (like hiking up the mountain) to show their committment for those who are supporting them. Interesting idea though. Problem is, I'd still need to go and do the hike no matter what...

mtruman
05-07-2008, 09:24 AM
hi debi....monadnock is a great hike....off the top of my head i think its something like 3100 feet....its only a couple of hours from where we are so its easy to just go for a saturday and come back home....the views as most are....are amazing....i think anyone who hiked it would have a great time and really enjoy the day....
I agree - Monadnock is probably the best mountain hike for those in southern NE (CT, MA, RI). It's two hours from us in central RI and an easy drive. We've done it at least twice each year the last couple of years. The only down side is the crowds. The claim is that this is the most hiked mountain in the world - recently taking that "honor" from Mt Fuji. While there isn't any way to avoid the crowds on the summit (at least from late Spring to mid Fall) most people go up and down via just a couple of trails (white dot, white cross). If you avoid those trails it can be a reasonably solitary hike until near the summit and I like some of the other trails even better. My favorite is the Spellman which is supposed to be the hardest route (although it pales in comparison to anything even moderately tough in the Whites). Hoping to get up there for our first mountain of the season in the next week or so.

A couple of other really good "training hikes" for the southern NE'ers are Blue Hills Reservation (Skyline Trail) and Middlesex Fells (Rock Circuit Loop and Skyline Trail). Both are close to Boston and easily accessible. Info here: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/strenuous.html (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eellozy/strenuous.html) and http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/strenuous2.html (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eellozy/strenuous2.html)
Both have nice rocky trails with lots of ups and downs for good total elevation gain.

KD Talbot
05-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Not drink as a summit volunteer? As one famous observer told me when I got there for my first week, "I'd be insulted if you didn't!" Plan on having a few, Steve, especially if I'm with you!

KDT

Rich
05-07-2008, 01:41 PM
But, Steve will be the only one not on the clock...... "I drink alone!"

Steve M
05-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Not drink as a summit volunteer? As one famous observer told me when I got there for my first week, "I'd be insulted if you didn't!" Plan on having a few, Steve, especially if I'm with you!

KDT
Will I need a bottle opener or are they twist offs???:D

Bill O
05-07-2008, 06:00 PM
But, Steve will be the only one not on the clock...... "I drink alone!"

The observers aren't on the clock 24/7. They're adults and spend more than half their time living on the summit so they enjoy a beer every now and then when they are not on shift.

KD Talbot
05-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Needs a bottle opener! We may go with some 6288 Stout while we're there. I don't think it's a twist off. I think a twist off stout might be sacrilege.

KDT

Great Guinness Ghost
05-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Needs a bottle opener! We may go with some 6288 Stout while we're there. I don't think it's a twist off. I think a twist off stout might be sacrilege.

KDT

YOU'RE RIGHT!!! No respectable beer worth its' weight ever,ever comes in a twist off bottle. Besides, it's a lot of work to bang those little caps on.

Steve M
05-08-2008, 09:21 PM
YOU'RE RIGHT!!! No respectable beer worth its' weight ever,ever comes in a twist off bottle. Besides, it's a lot of work to bang those little caps on.
I'm with you! That's why I had to ask the question.;)

Charlie
05-09-2008, 07:39 PM
the cost of gas will not stop me from making my first SP so i will be there

i do have to start do more walking or i will have to start at 3 am so i can make it to the top before lunch :eek: :eek:

i had rotator cuff surgery 2 weeks ago and the pain has stopped so now i need to get the pain going in my legs :D