PDA

View Full Version : Trails For A Newbie

CHRIS
05-02-2008, 08:50 AM
I am just getting into hiking this year and I am looking for advice on some good starter trails. I am not looking for anything to easy I like a challenge.
Also are there any trails snow free yet because I do not have snow shoes or crampons yet. I am hoping to be getting winter hiking gear this summer on sale hopefully.I will be coming out of Mass. just below Boston. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am getting very anxious to get out there. Thanks in advance for any help.
Chris

mtruman
05-02-2008, 09:22 AM
One good place for suggestions is the White Mountain Guide. If you haven't already got a copy and are planning to hike in the Whites you should get one. Each chapter (organized by region) has a list of suggested hikes in the back from easy to difficult. There are lots of good spring hikes in the Whites and you should be able to stay out of the snow as long as you stick to lower elevations.

Another suggestion for a good spring hike that is even closer is Mt Monadnock. This should be no more than a 90 minute drive for you and is one of my favorite hikes outside of the Whites. The only issue is that it is usually very crowded (Monadnock is touted as the most hiked mountain in the world next to Mt Fuji). You can avoid the crowds by taking less popular trails. The White Dot / White Cross are the ones that are always packed. We used the Spellman last time up and it was not crowded at all and a much nicer hike in general. Need to check on conditions though since the summit may still have some snow and ice.

The other great options for some local hikes for you would be Blue Hills (Skyline Trail is the best in my opinion) and Middlesex Fells (both the Rock Circuit Loop and Skyline Trail are great). These are both within 1/2 hour of Boston and while they aren't anything like the Whites they are great spring warm-up hikes.