PDA

View Full Version : 911 Memorial

willy164
05-07-2008, 04:11 PM

3 days after the attack on our country, a large group of us from all over the US (to include some Canadian friends as well), made our way to the summit with small boulders and rocks, patriotically painted and decorated, and built a 911 monument just below the lower parking lot at the summit. Over the first year, the monument grew in size from people leaving their own rocks and stones. The location was even Geocached. I haven't been up to the summit in quite a few years and was wondering if any one has come across it since then. I will be making the trip up to the summit once again this summer and would like to add to the pile should it still be there. I fear weather may have lessened this memorial to just part of the landscape.

tdb1977
05-08-2008, 03:15 PM
As far as I can tell, the memorial is still there, by looking at the Geocaching website. It looks like someone on one of the EduTrips on Feb 8th dropped a rock on what they thought was the site. It appears the last time it was found before winter set in was Oct 25, 2007. If anyone has a GC.com account, the geocach ID Number for the cache is GC1D9A. Some of the visitors to the location, have posted pictures of the location and the rocks, so it doesnt look like the area has been lessened. There have been almost 250 found logs for this particular cache. If I had gotten to the summit this year, I was going to bring a rock up, to drop off at the site, but travel plans have changed this year, so no trip to New England until later this fall. Hope this info helps you out.

TDB1977

BlueDog
05-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm a cacher and have it on my list for when I'm up for StP.

Here's some more pics from geocaching.com

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/8fc832fd-e051-4c24-92de-628837ad7bf7.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/b3ddd701-151b-40db-b6f2-1e7db7579703.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/edffe1c0-e963-4b02-a3e4-8223322bc601.jpg

Gallery of 180+ images (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gallery.aspx?guid=e3619f6d-14db-4bd8-96f3-667386df90f2)

njgail11
05-08-2008, 07:54 PM
My name is Christine and I just wanted to tell you that me and my husband climbed Mount Washington last year. We took the tukermans ravine trail and the memorial is still there going strong.

BlueDog
05-08-2008, 08:23 PM
If anyone uses GPS, the exact coords are:

N 44° 16.157
W 071° 18.143

Bill O
05-08-2008, 08:40 PM
If anyone uses GPS, the exact coords are:

N 44° 16.157
W 071° 18.143

I still use a sextant, but the coordinates help either way.

BlueDog
05-09-2008, 08:12 AM
I think I read about those in history books! :p

Patrad Fischroy
05-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Well that will get you the North part, to get the West part you will atleast need a good watch :0)

willy164
05-09-2008, 12:33 PM
I am speechless.....when we originally set this memorial in place, we never had any idea that it would keep going as strong as it is. We hoped it would, but never expected it. I went to GC.com and did a little searching and found numerous pages of photos of the memorial, and, I have to be honest with you all, it brought tears to my eyes. I spent quite some time on the "pile" at ground zero shortly after the attack (I am a Firefighter) and to see a vision of unity come together with this "pile" on Mt Washington is beyond words. I want to thank everyone that has become involved in keeping this going and can only hope it grows more as the years go by. Never Forget!

Steve M
05-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Is it mounted on your helmet??:D

Steve M
05-09-2008, 01:07 PM
I am speechless.....when we originally set this memorial in place, we never had any idea that it would keep going as strong as it is. We hoped it would, but never expected it. I went to GC.com and did a little searching and found numerous pages of photos of the memorial, and, I have to be honest with you all, it brought tears to my eyes. I spent quite some time on the "pile" at ground zero shortly after the attack (I am a Firefighter) and to see a vision of unity come together with this "pile" on Mt Washington is beyond words. I want to thank everyone that has become involved in keeping this going and can only hope it grows more as the years go by. Never Forget!
I will have to drop a rock off on my way to the summit this summer!

BlueDog
05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I plan on bringing one from Virginia, maybe Potomac River rock. I think it'd be interesting to mark on the rocks the GPS coords of its original location.

spyboy
05-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Not to be a pain or anything, but how is this not littering?

K

Bill O
05-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Not to be a pain or anything, but how is this not littering?

K

Thank god somebody else said it first. I think I see part of a brick in one of the photos.

I'm not sure what NH state park policy is, but this would never be allowed in a National Park (both the memorial and the geocache).

BlueDog
05-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I believe that written permission needs to be given in order to have the GC there. Maybe willy164 can shed light on that?

There was an article in a magazine a few months ago that did a Pro vs Con on geocaching. (Perhaps Backpacker Mag). There wasn't an outcome really, but the Con side stated that it was clearly in violation of Leave No Trace. The Pro side did note that CITO (Cache In, Trash Out) is a big part "the game" and that cachers are helping to clean up parts of the environment that noone else seems to want to do.

Bill O
05-09-2008, 03:52 PM
I believe that written permission needs to be given in order to have the GC there. Maybe willy164 can shed light on that?

There was an article in a magazine a few months ago that did a Pro vs Con on geocaching. (Perhaps Backpacker Mag). There wasn't an outcome really, but the Con side stated that it was clearly in violation of Leave No Trace. The Pro side did note that CITO (Cache In, Trash Out) is a big part "the game" and that cachers are helping to clean up parts of the environment that noone else seems to want to do.

It was in Backpacker. As long as there is a net decrease in garbage and no unnecessary wear on the land I'm not against geo-caching. I used to manage a cache in a small park in my town.

Those colored stones though aren't exactly the most beautiful thing to look at.

BlueDog
05-09-2008, 04:10 PM
For the benefit of those not familiar with caching... Here's what's "off-limits" for those creating/hiding a cache.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches on land managed by an agency that prohibits geocaches, such as the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)
* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.
* Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.
* Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites).
* Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.
* Caches near or on military installations.
* Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

There may be some exceptions. If your cache fits within one of the above areas, please explain this in a note to the reviewer. If you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate this on the cache page for the benefit of both the reviewer and people seeking out the cache.

In addition, there may be local regulations already in place for certain types of parks in your region (state parks, county preserves, etc.). There are many local caching organizations that would be able to help you out with those regulations. If your area does not have a local caching organization please contact your local reviewer for information on regulations. If you have complied with special regulations by obtaining a permit, please state this on your cache page or in a ‘note to the reviewer’. A reviewer may request that you provide contact information for the person who gave you permission to hide your cache.

If the Geocaching.com web site is contacted and informed that your cache has been placed inappropriately, your cache may be archived or disabled and you may be contacted with any information provided by the individual or organization who contacted us.

Brad
05-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Willy, glad you helped get this started. And I too hope it continues.

Charlie
05-09-2008, 07:21 PM
i will bring a nice rock from pa
this will nice to do this because there were 2 people i knew that died there 1 fireman and 1 cop ,i was helping a couple days after this happened with some K-9 teams and was tough thing to see .so this will mean a lot thanks for bringing this up

the last time i hiked up to the top was 28 yrs ago and i took a small rock down with me so i put the date on it and still have it ,so now i'm putting one back .

KathyC
05-09-2008, 07:48 PM
I lost a friend in there too, he was a Port Authority police man. He kept going in to bring people out, one of many hero's.

That day is burned into our minds, I was able to see it from my town. When they have the tribute of light I can see it from my window. When I go over the GW to go to Yankee Stadium it still looks so emtpy when I look down the Hudson.:(

KD Talbot
05-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Unsanctioned memorials are popping up all over the mountains. Depending on where it is, don't be surprised to see it has been removed. Someone put a plaque dedicated to a loved one, complete w/ picture of the deceased, on a trail on Mount Clay last year. As far as anyone knows, there was no connection to the mountains other than she loved them. This is illegal, and I'm pretty sure the plaque was removed by the USFS. In wilderness areas the USFS has gone so far as to, get this, CUT DOWN TREES WITH BLAZES to keep the hand of man invisible. On Owl's Head the blazes, signs and cairns have been removed because it is in a federally designated wilderness area.

If the 911 memorial on Mt. Washington is in the State Park Area it might be left alone, not sure. If it's outside of the boundaries of the park, I'm guessing it will go. For a real mountain tribute to the 911 deceased, folks may want to get involved with this:

http://www.flagsonthe48.org/

KDT

Charlie
05-09-2008, 10:27 PM
i think as long as it does not become to big and becomes an eye sore .

i will bring a small rock with the names of my friends and not have paint all over it

spyboy
05-10-2008, 07:06 AM
But who dictates what is an eye sore?

I think any makeshift memorial IS an eyesore. It ends up being a pile of crap (painted rocks, photos, stuffed animals, etc) placed on someone else's property (in this case the park's property)

I don't think I can go onto park property and plant a tree without permission, and that's just adding to the number of trees.

i think as long as it does not become to big and becomes an eye sore .

Charlie
05-10-2008, 11:19 AM
But who dictates what is an eye sore?

I think any makeshift memorial IS an eyesore. It ends up being a pile of crap (painted rocks, photos, stuffed animals, etc) placed on someone else's property (in this case the park's property)

I don't think I can go onto park property and plant a tree without permission, and that's just adding to the number of trees.

you bring up a good point so i will wait until it is ok to do so