PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Storm Over Everest premieres tomorrow night

BlueDog
05-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Set your Tivo's! 9-11pm on PBS.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/everest/art/h_postcard1.jpg

From The Adventure Blog (http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/reminder-storm-over-everest-premieres.html):

I first mentioned this a few weeks back but I wanted to remind everyone that David Breashears' Storm Over Everest appears tomorrow night as part of the long running Frontline series on PBS. The show is set to air from 9PM to 11PM EDT, so check your local listing to be sure it's airing in your area.

Click to continue reading (http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/reminder-storm-over-everest-premieres.html)

VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8QL7Ijas_w)

Bill O
05-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Looks awesome, I just watched a clip. Some great cinematography.

I think there are some re-airs later in the week as well, but check your local stations.

mtruman
05-13-2008, 10:05 AM
My DVR was set to record this the minute I heard about it. David Breashears does awesome work so this should be great. Just recently read his book "High Exposure" which is about his life and specifically his role in making the IMAX Everest film during the 1996 disasterous season. Great book! Can't wait for Frontline tonight...

BlueDog
05-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Arrrgggghhhhh!!! PBS in Washington DC is NOT showing it! The horror! I knew there was a reason I didn't like PBS. :P

Bill O
05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
My DVR was set to record this the minute I heard about it. David Breashears does awesome work so this should be great. Just recently read his book "High Exposure" which is about his life and specifically his role in making the IMAX Everest film during the 1996 disasterous season. Great book! Can't wait for Frontline tonight...

Does he talk about filming the Everest IMAX on Mount Washington?

MelNino
05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
This was well done...moving.

Thanks for reminding us it was on!

Brad
05-13-2008, 10:53 PM
It is amazing. They just said that we can view this program online at pbs.org.

Brad
05-14-2008, 07:00 AM
The program is available online - all of it! Go to www.pbs.org and scroll down to the Storm Over Everest picture and link. Then click on the Interactive Map. At the top is View Online.

BlueDog
05-14-2008, 07:31 AM
My local PBS finally changed the schedule and added this late yesterday!

Want a moving film!

mtruman
05-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Does he talk about filming the Everest IMAX on Mount Washington?

I think I'm missing something here...

Bill O
05-14-2008, 01:06 PM
I think I'm missing something here...

In the Everest IMAX they re-created many of the storm scenes on Mount Washington. The whole crew stayed at the observatory. I'm not against it, they had to re-create the scenes somewhere and I think its cool they used Mount Washington.

Up until last week that one scene in the IMAX showing Araceli cresting over the South Summit with Makalu in the background was probably the most amazing shot I have ever seen.

Back to the PBS show. Although they left out quite a few stories I think they gave a more balanced view of what those people really went through. Krakauer painted most of them as real jerks. I think the storm scenes they did in the PBS show were a bit unrealistic.

mtruman
05-14-2008, 02:03 PM
In the Everest IMAX they re-created many of the storm scenes on Mount Washington. The whole crew stayed at the observatory. I'm not against it, they had to re-create the scenes somewhere and I think its cool they used Mount Washington.

Up until last week that one scene in the IMAX showing Araceli cresting over the South Summit with Makalu in the background was probably the most amazing shot I have ever seen.

Back to the PBS show. Although they left out quite a few stories I think they gave a more balanced view of what those people really went through. Krakauer painted most of them as real jerks. I think the storm scenes they did in the PBS show were a bit unrealistic.

That makes a lot more sense. No, he didn't mention anything about the recreation of the Everest scenes on Mt Washington. I agree that this is pretty cool and I'm surprised that he didn't mention it since he does talk about several other NH based points in his life including climbing on Cannon Cliffs, etc.

I haven't watched the PBS show yet - going to do that tonight. Even more anxious after hearing the positive comments here.

I'll also mention that for anyone that likes this stuff you really need to see the IMAX "The Alps" film which has equally incredible (if not better) cinematography than Everest. I saw it right after reading Breashears book and had a whole new appreciation of how difficult hauling that huge IMAX camera and continually reloading film in these kind of conditions must be.

mtruman
05-14-2008, 05:06 PM
In honor of the "Storm Over Everest" premier, Outside magazine today published their archives of all the articles they have run over the years on Everest. Lots of interesting stuff...

http://outside-staging.away.com/outside/destinations/everest_archives_splash.html

Brad
05-14-2008, 06:11 PM
The answer is no. The purpose of the original climb was to film the Everest ascent for an IMAX movie. The program last night mentioned that in passing. Once they got back from the original climb they realized they needed a few extra filler shots and instead of going back to Base Camp, they went to Mt Washington and filmed them there - or so I have been told.

Magpie
05-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the heads up but I didn't see any dates in your post and I haven't seen anything on Ch2 or 44.
I cant watch these shows anywho. My brother has tried Everest twice and watching these people suffer doesnt help me or any of the family.
For us its more worry than anything. Last time he went they had a huge avalanche burying a group camped away from the other groups.
Though we understand his passion, the 4 month we have to worry makes us wonder if Mountaineering is really a very selfish sport. Or is it us?
Everest is one of the most dangerous of the 7 summits. Anyone who wants to try Everest would be wise to go with a very experienced group like alpine Ascents. Folks who know when to turn around.

spyboy
05-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Here's the link to the Everest page

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/everest/

The program is available online - all of it! Go to www.pbs.org and scroll down to the Storm Over Everest picture and link. Then click on the Interactive Map. At the top is View Online.

mtruman
05-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up but I didn't see any dates in your post and I haven't seen anything on Ch2 or 44.
I cant watch these shows anywho. My brother has tried Everest twice and watching these people suffer doesnt help me or any of the family.
For us its more worry than anything. Last time he went they had a huge avalanche burying a group camped away from the other groups.
Though we understand his passion, the 4 month we have to worry makes us wonder if Mountaineering is really a very selfish sport. Or is it us?
Everest is one of the most dangerous of the 7 summits. Anyone who wants to try Everest would be wise to go with a very experienced group like alpine Ascents. Folks who know when to turn around.

This has to be torture for the families. In his most recent book "On the Ridge Between Life and Death" Dave Roberts (who has spent his life doing this) examines the question of whether it really is worth it - both for the climbers and the friends and families that are impacted. Great book - but heart wrenching in many ways. Not sure that you want to read it, but perhaps your brother should.