PDA

View Full Version : hiking trails

njgail11
05-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Can I get some advice out there, me and my husband will be hiking up mount washington in July. Would like to know what trail is easier to do, go up the Ammonoosuc trail and down the Jewell trail. Or go up the Jewell trail and down the Ammonoosuc trail. Last year we went up Tuckermans Ravine trail and came down on the shuttle. It was the first time we hiked the Mountain and I was just to tired to go back down. Would like to try this year. Thanks for any info.

Steve M
05-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Can I get some advice out there, me and my husband will be hiking up mount washington in July. Would like to know what trail is easier to do, go up the Ammonoosuc trail and down the Jewell trail. Or go up the Jewell trail and down the Ammonoosuc trail. Last year we went up Tuckermans Ravine trail and came down on the shuttle. It was the first time we hiked the Mountain and I was just to tired to go back down. Would like to try this year. Thanks for any info.
My experience has always been to go up Ammo and down Jewell. Ammo can be tricky going down especially if the rocks are wet (afternoon t-storms??) The Jewell trail will have you exposed to the elements above tree line for a longer period of time but the decent is not as steep.

If you are going to do this hike for STP I would consider it will take you around 9 hrs maybe 10 to complete if you hike slow and then a drive around the mountain to make the after party so you will have to get started real early.:)

Brad
05-14-2008, 06:00 AM
My feeling on "up Ammo - down Jewell" compared to "up Tuckermans - down Tuckermans or Lions Head" is Ammo-Jewell is longer. The trail is not as steep. As Steve said, Ammo can be very slippery when wet. Up Ammo to Lakes of the Clouds gives you a lot of protection - and a good way back down the Ammo if the summit is too far. Going down the Jewell in bad weather is a very long open to the weather stretch to even get to the Jewell then down to the woods. But the footing is pretty good.

If I have a first time hiker who I do not know how well they will do on the mountain but they are generally in good shape, I will take them on the Ammo-Jewell combination if the weather looks good all day. The eastern side of the mountain is nice protection from the wind till you are up on the col or Garden - but you can not see the weather coming.

The choice for me is heavily driven by the weather.

Trekker
05-14-2008, 04:26 PM
I think njgail11 was more interested in how DIFFICULT the climb is going to be. These responses are talking about how long the exposure time will be on the way down and possible protection on the way up. To me, I'd go UP the Jewell trail, as it is one of the easiest approaches to Mt. Washington (longest approach - but easiest), and down the Ammonoosuc Ravine. I've done this round trip a few times in that direction and have had no problems at all. I absolutely LOVE the views down into the Great Gulf off the Gulfside Trail that you connect with at the top. And I've never had any trouble coming down the Ammonoosuc.

Steve M
05-14-2008, 05:37 PM
If you are a younger person and have good balance then I can agree with Trecker. It isn't too bad a hike down Ammo if you have hiking exp. Above Gem Pool the going is steep and there are several areas where you are crossing large slabs of exposed rock. It's about a mile from Lakes of the Clouds to Gem pool, then the going is easy to the Cog Station.

novascroller
05-27-2008, 02:26 PM

did you have to make arrangements in advance to take the shuttle back down? i thought they were normally full.

Breeze
05-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Novascroller,

Look for the FAQ page at the Auto Road site, it explains there about getting a shuttle down from the summit.

http://www.mountwashingtonautoroad.com/Page-92.html

Briefly, you can't reserve in advance, have to take your chances on space/availability, and should PLAN to hike down. There isn't any guarantee that there will be availability for several reasons.

Its extremely important to have and use a bail-out plan if weather or hiking capability are in question.

Breeze

novascroller
05-28-2008, 06:33 PM
thanks for the link/info.

Condor
05-31-2008, 10:41 AM
njgail11 - you may also want to consider overnighting in Lake of the Clouds. My first time last year I went up Ammo to the summit, back down to Lake of the Clouds for the night, and the next morning across to the Jewell and down (I skirted the summit and did not re-summit the next day).

A night in the hut is a great way to re-charge for the hike down, great sunsets if the weather is nice, great atmosphere, great people, great experience, great...

Just make sure to reserve a couple bunks well in advance.

WalterCIII
08-02-2010, 09:32 AM

It's been 25 years since I hiked the Jewell so I can't help there, but hiked up the Ammnoosuc two weeks ago and it is a beautiful trail for the ascent. However, it goes right up the river/stream for most of it and some of the hike can almost get technical. I wouldn't have wanted to hike down over those slippery wet rocks. Good luck with your hike.