PDA

View Full Version : Bad trail conditions?

Bergman
06-05-2008, 03:05 PM
So some people are telling me ( not on the forum ) that the trail conditions have been horrible and definetnly need crampoons. I'm planning on going up Lion's head this coming saturday. I also heard rumors of people being helicoptered off the mountain? Then i check the forum and see nothing of the sort, and im sure people would be discussing such an occurence. Could someone just confirm/unconfirm all this?

MeridenFF
06-05-2008, 04:29 PM
not sure about the conditions but I too am planning on hiking the lion this weekend. See you on the mountain

Knapper
06-06-2008, 06:07 AM
So some people are telling me ( not on the forum ) that the trail conditions have been horrible and definetnly need crampoons. I'm planning on going up Lion's head this coming saturday. I also heard rumors of people being helicoptered off the mountain? Then i check the forum and see nothing of the sort, and im sure people would be discussing such an occurence. Could someone just confirm/unconfirm all this?

I am not sure who has been telling you that the trails are "bad." The trails I have done look like they have in years past for the most part. There is a bit more snow in some areas but it is doable. Crampons, if you have them, could be packed just to be on the safe side but from all I have talked to, the small patches of snow they encountered were walkable. And with temperatures climbing this weekend, the snow should be soft enough to boot ladder if needed. Lions Head summer route is open according to: http://www.outdoors.org/recreation/tripplanner/go/backcountry-weather.cfm
These are updated most days as conditions warrent.

As for helicoptors, checking our logs and asking state park, we and they are not aware of any on this mountain. I can't speak for other ranges or summits in NH though. Most of the time if there is a rescue in the Whites, we are involved in providing the weather. My best guess would be the AMC food deliveries. They usually do a helicoptor drop to the huts with a bulk order of food for the season. I can't confirm this but with the huts opening up, that makes the most sense to me. Hikers probably see these and assume the worst.

I would say hike as far as you feel comfortable or as far as the weather will allow you. Just be aware there is a chance for thunderstorms Friday and Saturday, so take caution, especially above tree line. Have a safe hike.

Bill O
06-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Most of the time if there is a rescue in the Whites, we are involved in providing the weather.

I hope you provide them good weather.

The snow is what it is. If its warm outside most of the snow crossing should be fairly manageable.

MeridenFF
06-10-2008, 05:34 PM
No need for any crampons on Lions head this past weekend. We went up Lions, across Alpine Garden to Nelson Crag, then down to Lakes.. Next day down Boot Spur. We saw very little snow at all along the trails and only had one maybe two places you had to walk around it and that was about it.