PDA

View Full Version : STP Web Site Suggestions

Brad
06-07-2008, 08:33 AM
As we work with the site I am sure we might have sggestions for improvements for next year. We have gotten the current total raised on the site so all can see our progress. What else would you suggest for next year?

My main suggestions are:

1. Have a link off the STP pages to get you back to the MWO regular site.

2. Have both "Billing Information" and "Contact Information" for a pledge. In some cases other people send me the money and ask me to deal with the web site. In this case you must put in the contact information for the billing address of the credit card. The observatory does not get the information on who really supported the organization. Yes, there name is displayed - but there is no place to put in their address, telephone number or e-mail address - as an option.

mtruman
06-07-2008, 02:00 PM
I like the idea of having a list of all the hikers with their current pledge amounts (sorted by pledge). Might help to create some competition between the participants to try to get their pledges up to those above them. Not a whole lot of other ideas. The site this year is really great!

BlueDog
06-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Mark stole my one biggest suggestion... but I'll roll it in this...

Make the "user admin" log in from the StP pages. One I log in, then I can:
- update my custom page text
- see the current amount raised by each hiker (Maybe there's just the top 10 or 25 listed, then a link to another page to see all.)

On the hiker homepage, design-wise, I'd get rid of the box around the custom text and make the font a little larger. I'd also be great to allow some rich html in that area, or an option to let up add a profile picture in there, like one from last years hike.

On a long shot, perhaps an API, or work with some of us outside developers to let us access the data for building widgets and such. In addition to the countdown widget, I would build one that replicates the goal thermometer.

But, please let me also say that if you do NOTHING, its still one of the best charity fundraising sites that I've used! (And I build this stuff for a living!) My sister is participating in a walk to raise money for breast cancer and the site she sent me was so confusing to make a donation that I almost gave up and sent her an old fashioned check instead!

Brad
06-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Another suggestion - allow one to edit their pledge goal after creating the page. This year I did not set a goal - and along came wonderful prizes and I wish folks see that I am shooting for the $1,000 level.

BlueDog
06-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Brad, you can change your goal amount anytime. Just go to the main StP page, click Create/Edit a Hiker Page and it will take you to your page in edit mode. (If you haven't logged in to your MWO page it will take you through there first.)

BlueDog
06-08-2008, 08:17 AM
One other suggestion that I've seen brought up before it the ability to attribute Offline Funds to a donor. This would mean allowing multiple entries for offline. For example, the offline amount that I have right now I'd like to attribute to my car club when they did a "pass the hat" after an event. The work around I'm thinking of doing is depositing the cash in a personal account then make the online donation myself on their behalf.

Brad
06-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Brad, you can change your goal amount anytime. Just go to the main StP page, click Create/Edit a Hiker Page and it will take you to your page in edit mode. (If you haven't logged in to your MWO page it will take you through there first.)
Thanks for the tip. I was looking at my page and there was no way of editing it - had to go back up to a higher level on the site. And that worked.

Brad
07-21-2008, 05:49 AM
One thing the STP web site should have is a good area map with key locations identified. Folks who have not hiked in the area may want to join in and this type of map would give then some perspective on where things are. At least the things are would be important to a STP hiker.

Pinkham Notch Visitor Center (Tuckermans Trail)
Auto Road base
Cog Base Station (Ammo and Jewell Trails)
Summit
maybe a couple of the major local campgrounds.

This was my attempt, but having one on the STP site would help.

http://images41.fotki.com/v1246/photos/1/1002902/6492421/KeyPlaces-vi.jpg

BlueDog
07-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Great suggestion Brad. Adding on to that, perhaps some suggested routes, particularly for those that haven't been before. I know there are places online to get trail reviews and such, but hey, more content bring more traffic.

Bill O
07-21-2008, 08:41 AM
The problem is that MWO doesn't want to be suggesting or encouraging people to take specific routes. Its up to the hiker to become knowledgeable on their own and take a route that is most appropriate for their skill level.

Brad
07-21-2008, 10:45 AM
True. But, folks from out of town do need guidance on where things are that relate to STP. That gives a point of reference for them to select where they want to stay and which trails to use.

BlueDog
07-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Perhaps links to this forum? Example: "New to hiking the Mt? Ask our forum members for suggestions on routes and difficulty."

Last year I traded tent space for trail knowledge with Rockin Rex and was able to pick his brain on where to go. I'll be doin the same again this year!

mtruman
07-21-2008, 01:17 PM
One thing the STP web site should have is a good area map with key locations identified. Folks who have not hiked in the area may want to join in and this type of map would give then some perspective on where things are. At least the things are would be important to a STP hiker.

Pinkham Notch Visitor Center (Tuckermans Trail)
Auto Road base
Cog Base Station (Ammo and Jewell Trails)
Summit
maybe a couple of the major local campgrounds.

I think this is a great idea Brad. Definitely the options for lodging (campgrounds and otherwise) and location of the major trailheads with routes and mileages from the other major locations would be great - particularly who don't spend a lot of time in the area or who are coming for the first time. Perhaps even an opportunity to get some sponsorship from some of the local businesses (particularly lodging) offering discounts for STPers in exchange for the free advertising.

Brad
07-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Last year I traded tent space for trail knowledge with Rockin Rex and was able to pick his brain on where to go. I'll be doin the same again this year!
Now I am getting concerned about poor Rex. He may be brainless by the end of this year's STP with all that picking going on.

fifteendays
07-22-2008, 11:55 PM
You guys are great-- thanks for all the input. We'll have much to consider after STP8. We'll be rolling out a new STP site this fall, using new software and much more capabilities. As I understand it, you'll be able to upload photos to your own pages and we'll be able to do a much better job of sending email updates, trail info, hiking tips and e-newsletters along the way.

Today, our STP event guru Karen ordered 350 turkey dinners for the post-party. 350!! An army of volunteers stuffed the goodie bags on Thursday, the tent(s) are ready to go, volunteers are all lined up, plans are in place and we're ready for an amazing event.

Yesterday, I spoke to our contact down at Subaru (who you will all meet on Saturday) and I was telling her how our goal of $100,000 is within reach. She said, "Great-- let's shoot for $250,000 next year." We've doubled the event in two years, so why not double it next year, too?? Subaru has been HUGE this year and we are so thankful. They're coming to the event with special limited edition Subaru/MWO hats for all MWO members. If you're not a member, a hat awaits you if you join. I can't take any credit for that-- it was entirely Subaru's idea. They're such a great partner-- 17 years running.

Two of our three new 2009 Subaru Foresters arrived today, one of which is wrapped in stunning STP graphics... You'll see that on display Friday night and Saturday. It's actually in my driveway tonight, since I'll be up on the summit early tomorrow for a meeting. My 2- and 4-year-old boys dig "daddy's new orange work car." (I didn't tell them that it's not really daddy's car.)

I continue to be floored... Thank you so much to each and every one of you. I can't wait to see you all on Saturday. I'll be doing Ammo/Jewell and then high-tailing it to the other side of the mountain in time for the post-party. I'll be the emcee again this year... If I'm late, Karen will kick my butt.

Until then,
Scot
MWO Exec. Dir.

Brad
07-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Scot, this is excellent news! I am sitting in the car at the rest stop on the Mass Pike on my way north. Can't wait to get there - do the hike - have a great dinner - meet all you folks in person - then drive my new Subaru home.

Oh, and on the dinners make it 351. I think we will convince my son to hike with us.

BlueDog
07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Scot, thanks for the update! Rest assured, if you only repeated everything from last year, it's still be a top notch event. I'm completely amazed at how you and everyone are stepping it up even more this year!

Charlie
07-23-2008, 01:27 PM
it sounds like i have bin missing a lot and im glad i wont be missing it this year

see you at the top then at the party

mtruman
07-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Scot, you guys have been doing a fantastic job with this event. So glad to see the level of success this year and the commitment to reaching an even higher level next year. Great to have the support of Subaru and the other sponsors to make this possible. For those of us that are participating, I feel that we are really lucky to be able to support a worthy cause while we are doing something that we love so much at the same time. Hard to beat that! See you Saturday...