PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Trail to Mt Monroe - Sunday, 6/8

Tim&Val
06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Well, it seems that we were in good company this weekend in the Lakes / Mt Monroe area! MeridenFF, GGG and ForestGnome were all in the area!

We had a great hike up/down the Ammonoosuc Trail although we had to re-apply the suntan lotion a couple times. That's a real tough problem to have :D.

Trail report can be found here:
http://www.barkeater.ws/nh48/images/MtMonroe/20080608/MtMonroeFrames.htm

Congrats to Debi on her 2nd 4000-footer in two weeks!

Valerie

Acrophobe
06-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Man, you got lucky on the weather. This was my last trip to the area: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Geeeeeeek/100_0578.jpg

Lovely photos indeed. And aren't those huts impressive, if you stop to think about it? I was at Greenleaf a week or two ago, and within was a sign saying it had been built in the thirties - when helicopters were scarcely in their infancy. How did they possibly get the building material and tools up there? Kinda makes one think the past generations were made of sterner stuff then us... :)

mtruman
06-10-2008, 10:10 PM
... And aren't those huts impressive, if you stop to think about it?

Definitely impressive. Not just the fact that they were built up there after lugging all that stuff up so many years ago, but for all the work that the croo does to keep them going at the level that they are now. Packing in all the food and supplies and packing out most of the non-compostables. Some may be done my helicopter now but I believe that most is by back-power.

We were simply knocked out by the experience at Madison/Lakes/Mizpah last July and can't wait for our follow up with Greenleaf/Galehead/Zealand this summer. Better than any 5-star hotel in my book (although I may be biased...)

forestgnome
06-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Valerie, nice TR! Nice pics! Tomorrow looks good and I'm thinking of this trail to hike up to Alpine Garden. Thanks for report of bears on Canon Mtn.

I have to start checking this forum.

happy trails :)

Brad
06-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Yes, so you can go chase them and play with their cubs and take pictures.

KD Talbot
06-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Pretty impressive for her second climb. Nice going, Deb! Great Tr and pictures as always! Those are definitely Bluets in the second picture.

KDT

Debi
06-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks. It was well worth the effort of the climb. The views were gorgeous, and I got to hit Tim with a snowball in June. What more can you ask for.