PDA

View Full Version : I almost trashed a car in town today...

spyboy
06-12-2008, 11:47 AM
I was out kayaking this morning and when I returned, I was putting my kayak on my truck and saw a car with a bumper sticker that read..

"I support logging in the White Mountain National Forest"

wtf?!?!?!?!

Luckily I didn't have my chainsaw or I might have logged that car...

Kirk

Bill O
06-12-2008, 12:23 PM
It's better than "I support strip mining in the White Mountain National Forest"

Given the abundance of trees in North America I think WMNF is safe for awhile.

RI Swamp Yankee
06-12-2008, 12:42 PM
At the risk of starting another war, here is an article I came accross in the Concord Monitor

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080611/NEWS01/806110325

Judge rules against challenge to logging
Environmental groups say permits improper

June 11, 2008 - 12:00 am

A federal judge has rejected a challenge by environmental groups to two logging projects in New Hampshire's White Mountain National Forest, saying the Forest Service did not violate federal law in approving the work. .... more at above link....

Some logging can be good but some turns the land into a barren wasteland. I don't know what the "rules of engagement" are for this operation.

BlueDog
06-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Interesting.. had to do a google search and found this article from yesterday. Seems the Forest Service approved two logging projects and have the suppport of the AMC and other groups. So maybe this isn't about clearcutting type of projects like we normally think of "logging."

Judge Rules Against Challenge to Logging (http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080611/NEWS01/806110325)

KD Talbot
06-12-2008, 03:58 PM
"Welcome to the White Mountain National Forest, Land of Many Uses."

Logging is, has historically been, and always will be allowed in the WMNF. Part of the proceeds from it go towards keeping the roads, campgrounds and trails open and maintained.

The designated wilderness areas such as the Pemigewassett and Caribou-Speckled Mountain Wilderness Areas are logging free.

There is no longer any clear-cut logging methods used here or anywhere else in New England, for that matter. If you drive along Rte. 302 from Bartlett to Bretton Woods you will see signs along the road, "Harvested in 2004." You will barely notice a difference.

Jobs are scarce enough above the notches. Many generations of families have relied upon logging to survive. Logging built New England and this country, and will continue to do so until they figure out a way to build houses out of the recycled plastic water bottles all the flatlander yuppies leave all over the mountains.

I am neither for or against logging, but it is inconsistent to be against logging, but OK with roads, traintracks, buildings and radio towers on the highest peak in the northeast.

There has to be compromise. A balance, if you will. 100 years ago the Weeks Act came into existence to protect the land. The WMNF was created because of this. At the time the land barons had stripped the mountains of all usable lumber and because they left huge piles of slash, terrible forest fires followed. Many of the bald peaks we see, such as Mount Chocorua, were forested before this, and they never recovered. As you can see, things are nothing like they were at the turn of the last century. We can afford the small scale logging operations the right to harvest a few hundred acres here and there.

KDT

Bill O
06-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Kevin took my catch phrase...land of many uses.

Travel out west and most ski areas (even the resorts) are located within National Forests on multi-year leases. Not to mention a huge amount of grazing land for cattle.

If you're ever in VT and I'm there too I invite you to come see what a clear cut looks like 1 to 5 years after the fact. We've been cutting small blocks of 40-80 year old growth (1 to 5 acres) for the sole purpose of improving wildlife habitat. Its quite amazing. The regrowth begins immediately and within the first year it is so dense with trees a person could not walk through. Birds and animals seeking cover love it, its a great habitat.

Not only do we get improved wildlife diversity we get it for free too. A logging company picks out the few high quality logs for lumber and the rest is sent to Burlington to make electricity.

Trust me, I'd love to make as much land into wilderness as possible. But 1,300 acres of logging in the WMNF will have a net benefit to the ecosystem. I sleep well at night knowing that forested area in the United States is increasing not decreasing.

Oh and 1,300 acres represents about 1/10th of 1% of the WMNF.

BlueDog
06-12-2008, 06:51 PM
So.. in a way, it looks like this persons bumper sticker actually worked! It caused a reaction (perhaps the intended one), got a conversation started and prompted us to search out the real story. :)

spyboy
06-12-2008, 08:01 PM
..yeah but I still wanted to smash the car...