PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Mount Washington

nicb84
06-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi,
I'm planning on hiking mount washington next saturday (June 28) and I would like some information before...

First of all, how much time shoud I plan ? (I'm not the best hiker, but still I have some experience)

Next, Is there a place to camp on the mountain ? Or I have to camp all the way down ? I would like to see the sunset on the summit, is it possible ?

Thanks !

Nicolas

Bill O
06-20-2008, 08:03 AM
It takes about 4.5 hours to hike to the summit via the major routes.

You can camp in the lean-to's or tent platforms at Hermit Lake. Just register and pay at Pinkham Notch before you start climbing. Arrive early at Pinkham to reserve a spot. Other than that there is no camping on Mount Washington.

You can also try staying at Lakes of the Clouds hut, but they are usually full on the weekend.

Yes, you can watch the sunset from the summit, but you will have to hike back to your camp in the dark. Same with the sunrise, lighting conditions reversed. Many people do it, but I don't suggest it for novice hikers.

bikehikeskifish
06-20-2008, 08:26 AM
See also here: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/washington.html

This gives distances, elevations, and book times from the AMC WMG trails, concatenated to form routes to the summit.

For example, Round trip by Lions Head 8.4 miles, 4,300 feet, 6:20.

Tim

Ignore Ants
06-21-2008, 07:35 PM
With those figures, what kind of pace do you need to keep to accomplish those estimated times?