PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Washington via Ammo trail 6/22/08

soldsoul4foos
06-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Got started a little later than I wanted...8:45 from the parking lot just below the cog railway. Myself, wifey, our 2 boys, and their 2 friends. Everything was going great. Filled water up at the lake of the clouds, and headed to the top. With about .7 miles left, thunder started to rumble. At .5 miles from the top, the first lightning came down out of the clouds. EEEk! The kids make a straight line for the top and were up there in what seemed minutes. Wife and I were behind them by a few minutes. I think there were 3 strikes before we got inside. Wow! It was scary and thrilling at the same time. I ended up taking the cog down, and everyone else took the shuttle to the amc center at pinkham notch. They got to see a moose too!

Loved the trail. Amazing how many stairs there were. Wished we could of taken the jewel down though :(

I guess next time in two weeks.

Bill w.

Brad
06-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Bill and family,

Glad you all are safe and back down in good shape. Your report is a good example of how quickly weather can change and it rolls in from the west very fast. The Ammo trail is a wonderful way to see the mountain through a lot of varied terrain. When you first see the Lakes of the Clouds hut it is like a surprise - almost there.

There is a wee bit more explaining required. Your wife went down on the eastern side of the mountain because she would not ride with you in the Cog? Or was there a different reason? Like Pinkham is closer to shopping in N Conway.

Breeze
06-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Brad, you are always so " tongue in CHEEK!" LOLOL

Just my 2 cents, but there is always a need to get the information out that a "ride down" Mt. Washington is never guaranteed. Both the Cog and the Auto Road Hiker Shuttle have finite space/time constraints for one way down trips, they can and DO ROUTINELY SELL OUT especially in marginal - to- lousy weather, and both the Auto Road and the Cog can and do close completely when weather or conditions are considered completely FUBAR.

"Keep a Weather Eye" is good advice for EVERYONE outdoors, but is VITAL above treeline.

Breeze

Brad
06-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Brad, you are always so " tongue in CHEEK!" LOLOL

Breeze
Moi?

She might have been really mad at him for getting her hair wet and straightening it out in the lightening.

soldsoul4foos
06-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Ha ha ha u tools. Very funny.

Very good question Brad (in samuel L. jackson voice). I didn't drive out of suburbia to the mountain :D But, since we took the ammo up, we parked our vehicle underneath the cog railway. I had to get the vehicle. They didn't all come down the cog with me because it was so expensive. $42 a pop regardless of age. Much more economical to take the van.

Personally, I never find anything worth 2 nickels to buy in N. Conway (i.e. cheap cloths). Freeport is much better imho for that. :p

Happy Trails!

http://home.roadrunner.com/~wgwarren/pics/myspace/IM000402.JPG

ChrisN
06-23-2008, 10:37 PM
My wife and I + another couple were close to the summit of Chocorua yesterday afternoon when the weather really rolled in. We were expecting rain with possible thunder/lightening so we had appropriate rain gear, but it got pretty crazy up there.

We were right at the base of "the cone" when the sky really opened up, drenching rain. The thunder was rumbling not all that far away (5 miles by our best estimation) so we decided to back down a little bit and see if we could wait it out. The top of Chocorua is pretty rocky, really rocky in fact.

We stood around maybe 5 minutes, it seemed as if the storm was going to pass to the North of us, when the thunder/lightening sound delay went from 4-6 seconds to an immediate CRACK that lit the area completely.

We were out of there once that happened, not sure how close it actually was, but for all I know it hit within a couple hundred feet of us, it was incredibly loud.

Never did reach the summit, we rushed down right after that blast and had several more way too close for comfort during the soaking descent.

Just figured I would post in this thread as its fairly on topic with the bad weather in the area yesterday. I am glad that we used our better judgement and did not immediately push for the summit when the thunder was still rumbling. No clue where those close bolts hit..

For anyone that hasnt been, Chocorua via Champney Falls is a very nice climb for anyone with limited time and wants to have some good views. The summit itself looks like a blast, a lot of scrambing, but, it will have to wait until next month for me to try.

RI Swamp Yankee
06-23-2008, 10:55 PM
I was camping in North Conway (23' travel trailer) when that storm hit. I don't think I have ever seen it rain that hard. The water comming off my awning looked like a waterfall and lots of boomers. Glad to hear you made it down safely ChrisN and soldsoul4foos. Maybe you could have used a kayak for the trip down. :eek:

soldsoul4foos
06-24-2008, 08:03 AM
How is jewel trail in comparison to the ammo? It looks just a touch longer and a couple hundred feet elevation shorter.

Bill O
06-24-2008, 08:05 AM
How is jewel trail in comparison to the ammo? It looks just a touch longer and a couple hundred feet elevation shorter.

You start from the same parking lot so the elevation is the same. I prefer the Ammo because it has waterfalls. Its fairly common for people to do a loop on the two trails. Ammo up and Jewell down.

Brad
06-24-2008, 06:53 PM
I think the Jewell is more gradual than Ammo. No waterfalls. A lot of open above treeline from the summit going down. This is great for the view but can be tough in bad weather. Any trail in the open in bad weather is tough. Good tree cover once you get below treeline.

I like the Ammo up and Jewell down combination.

njgail11
06-25-2008, 09:05 PM
how long did it take all of you to reach the top.

Brad
06-26-2008, 07:02 AM
The beauty of digital pictures is the date and time is in each file. The pictures of that hike are at
http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/hikes/mt-washington/2006-07-12-summit/

The first ones at the Cog Station were taken at 6:35 AM.

The final stretch picture coming up on Lakes of the Clouds was at 10:00 AM.

The picture of Nin on the counter was taken at 11:59 AM and we had finished lunch. So going up was around 5 hours with a long stop for pictures at the hut.

Caffeine Addict
06-26-2008, 07:26 AM
thanks for sharing the pictures there great