PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

spyboy
06-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but I've seen all the STP posts and have gone to the website, but what exactly is it? A race? Just a day of hiking? The site doesn't specify, it just talks about prizes and sponsorships for the hikers.

If people sponsor someone and they don't complete the hike, then what?

Kirk

mtruman
06-24-2008, 05:20 PM
It seems like it's just like a lot of the other fund raiser walk-a-thons, bike-a-thons, etc. Sometimes the pledges are per mile or something like that but most of the ones that I've seen lately are like STP. The participants get pledges and do their best to complete the event. The pledges are collected no matter how the participant does. More like a plain fund raiser...

Brad
06-24-2008, 06:50 PM
It is a fundraising event for MWO - which gives us a great excuse to hike the mountain. To be in it officially you have to get at least $100 from any source including yourself. Then it is up to you to show up - hike as much as you want or can - then stop in under the tent at the base of the Auto Road for a great dinner, chance to meet others and watch great prizes being given away. It is a great time, lots of fun, and an excellent way of providing financial support to the Observatory.

Plus, the turkey dinner is fantastic.

spyboy
06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I knew it was to raise funds for the mountain, I just didn't know if it was a race or anything like that.

Kirk

Bill O
06-24-2008, 08:07 PM
The real question is why haven't you signed up yet?

Brad
06-24-2008, 08:38 PM
I do believe Bill O thought it was a race last year. His time was amazing. I was focused on surviving and getting to the dinner.

spyboy
06-24-2008, 09:41 PM
The real question is why haven't you signed up yet?

Because I really can't stand hiking. I don't mind walking in the woods, it's that eternal uphill that gets me. I do enjoy the view from the top though :)

And the downhill, well, 18 years of snowboarding has taken it's toll on my knees.

As for the STP weekend, I'll be in Maine taking pictures/panos at an air show.

Kirk

spyboy
06-24-2008, 09:43 PM
I do believe Bill O thought it was a race last year. His time was amazing. I was focused on surviving and getting to the dinner.

btw I live 6 miles from Hart's :)

K