PDA

View Full Version : Hermit Lake Overnight

Flippin
06-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Planning to camp at the Hermit Lake shelter this summer and Im looking for info regarding dogs. If I stay in a tent on a platform, can I bring my dog if I have a tent for him or have him sleep in my tent?

JimS
06-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Hermit lake is one of the most popular shelters, but I don't think that the rules would be any different. Just tie up the dog, and you should be fine with it on the platform.

KD Talbot
06-25-2008, 11:07 AM
The rules for Hermit Lake Shelters state no dogs overnight. Check this link:

http://www.tuckerman.org/camping/camping.htm

KDT

JimS
06-25-2008, 11:32 AM

KDT

I stand corrected...

soldsoul4foos
06-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I like dogs, hell I even have an australian sheppard (too clever for her own stinkin' good), but can you imagine if every person brought a dog to an overnite? :D

BigE
07-04-2008, 10:07 AM
After experiencing/meeting many dogs while hiking the AT, I still can't accept how any owner would put their dog through such a painful experience?

Big E

donnellyvj
07-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Are these dog walking the whole trail with the owners?? I have seen some dogs at the summit in weather (late October) that I thought was way to cold. It looked to me that the dogs were to cold to sit.

After experiencing/meeting many dogs while hiking the AT, I still can't accept how any owner would put their dog through such a painful experience?

Big E

KD Talbot
07-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Oh boy, here we go! :mad:

KDT

donnellyvj
07-05-2008, 03:42 PM
that chiwawa looked mad too.:D

KD Talbot
07-05-2008, 10:18 PM
OK. Wolves and coyotes, true that they spend most of their lives lazing on the sofa being force fed bon-bons. They don't spend most of there lives trotting around on their 4 legs. I'm just guessing that they might put on a lot more miles in their lifetime in a lot worse weather than a summer trip along the AT.

That chihuahua has the exact same DNA as those wolves and coyotes.

Now, should someone have brought a dog that is probably a house pet that has been bred to have short hair to the summit of MW in late October? NOT FOR ME TO JUDGE! My guess is the owner learned from his experience and the dog will not see the summit of MW again.

The dog probably rode up in a car. If not it was probably carried to the summit by it's owners. I've seen this many times before.

Some people like dogs, some people don't. Everybody's different. Like people, all dogs are different. Some belong on the trail, some don't.

This thread could go on forever about the pros and cons of hiking with dogs, but this really isn't the forum for it. The subject has been beaten to death on other hiking forums. Let it rest in peace. To each his own.

I often hike along sections of the AT through the White Mountains of NH and have often seen people along it who most experienced hikers would consider being improperly dressed or have improper footwear or who otherwise are ill prepared. They are walking along with a bottle of Poland Springs in their hand and when the bottle is empty it winds up in the woods. Do these people not belong there? NOT FOR ME TO JUDGE! Hopefully their experience will educate them to be more prepared in the future.

KDT

spyboy
07-05-2008, 10:33 PM
What about cats?

Kirk

KDT

KD Talbot
07-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Just Hepcats.

KDT

Steve M
07-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm gonna bring my hamster with me this year. HE helps me up the tough spots.:)

donnellyvj
07-07-2008, 09:11 AM
I know for a fact my Chinchilla would love it.;) My Boston Terrier would be pissed.:mad: I was was just kidding about the chihuahua. I think it was a couple of Pitbulls. We where goning up Lions Head. We had a sustained wind of 60mph above tree-line that day and thick fog (burr). Def not my call. I would just worry about MY DOG FALLING OR SLIPPING ON SOME OF THE HARRY SPOTS. I know I have (ouch). Funny bones aren't so funny are they.