PDA

View Full Version : Not the mountains...but weather...

JimS
06-25-2008, 10:32 AM
I found myself near the Maine coast yesterday when the storms that swept across NH found their way over. I had never been to Portland Head Lighthouse, and thought this a good op to go over and shoot it in what I was hoping to be some unique light. I shot these three before the storm, and then hung out hoping for a rainbow afterwards, which never materialized....

I can't believe I'd never been here before...it was beautiful. Landscaped with roses and wildflowers...a gorgeous coast, and lots of areas to roam. I will be back.

Any preference between the three???

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/2609397884_172fdfc9b8_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3123/2608733559_d715dcc759_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/2609397926_02f528de53_o.jpg

KD Talbot
06-25-2008, 11:11 AM
As always. I like the first best. Thanks!

KDT

Bretton Woods Brat
06-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Jim...absolutely gorgeous...first one blew me away...:eek:

RI Swamp Yankee
06-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Real nice. My pick #1 too, followed closly by #3.

Thanks

Brad
06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I like the clouds in #2 and the close view of the light house. Then I went to #3 and loved the whole setting and angle. But, #1 is my favorite.

bikehikeskifish
06-25-2008, 02:09 PM
I think I prefer #2, then #1 and then #3. Glad you finally got over there--I remember you commenting on photos I had of the place over on VFTT and how you wanted shoot it yourself. It's really quite pretty. I have a shot of my daughter standing in the flowers with the light behind her framed and sitting on my piano.

Tim

KD Talbot
06-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Any preference between the three???

My wife wants the teacher to know that it should be "among the three", not between the three. Between is two, among is multiple. Don't mess with her, her brother taught English for 35 years. :)

By the way, among the three, she picks #1 also.

Good thing there's two of us around to correct you.

KDT

JimS
06-25-2008, 02:31 PM
I teach science...not english. I'm reminded of the great philosopher Ralph Wiggum (Simpsons) when he said: "Me fail English, that's unpossible".

Thanks for all your thoughts. Taking these in, and those from a few other forums, I think I like #1 the best, but prefer the color of #2. And #3 has the strongest stand alone composition, but lacks the power of the clouds. I hope to go back and get a composition like #3 sometime in sunrise light.

Bill O
06-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I prefer #2 and #3. Not sure why, I don't like the color as much in #1.

spyboy
06-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Ah yes, just remember...

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man"

hey, it’s a perfectly cromulent word :)

Kirk

I teach science...not english. I'm reminded of the great philosopher Ralph Wiggum (Simpsons) when he said: "Me fail English, that's unpossible".

JimS
06-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I prefer #2 and #3. Not sure why, I don't like the color as much in #1.

Thanks Bill, a few people have said that....

I agree, the light is wierd in #1. This was before the real dark clouds arrived, and the scene seems bathed in an outerworldly orange light. Nothing in the white balances that I can do to fix it even if I wanted too, but I like those clouds the best...it's a tradeoff...

Spyboy...wasn't it Skinner who added the word cromulent to my eternal dialog???
Edit: It was Edna: http://www.cracked.com/article_15269_from-cromulent-craptacular-top-12-simpsons-created-words.html

Caffeine Addict
06-25-2008, 06:21 PM
i like the 3rd one myself

Brad
06-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Jim,

That is a great spot to work on capturing the feeling. Might have to make several trips back to keep on trying.

Brad
06-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Ok - when does it switch from "too many" to "too much"?

KD Talbot
06-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I think it is the weird light that makes the picture in #1. There is always weird light as the storm rolls in.

I think it gives it cromulance.

KDT

Tim&Val
06-25-2008, 08:03 PM
I think it is the weird light that makes the picture in #1. There is always weird light as the storm rolls in.

My vote is #1. As a flat-lander born and raised in Ohio, that weird light was what always told us that it was going to be a bad storm. When the sky turned green, that's when the tornado warnings came on the TV.

Apparently, it still affects me at some level... that picture looks much more menacing to me than the others.

They are gorgeous!
Valerie

Brad
06-25-2008, 08:20 PM
For me Lloyd's pictures of Portland Head Light are a wonderful set to look at. He has all weather - all seasons - and all angles. It is fun to review his before going and then see which spots work for you based on the weather and light the day you are there.

http://public.fotki.com/lwa11/general/lighthouses/portland-head-light/portlandheadlight/

njgail11
06-25-2008, 08:58 PM
I think #1 picture is the best.

mtruman
06-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Interesting the comments about the "strange colors" in #1. I think that is why I like it the best. It is my clearly my favorite betwixt and amongst the three. :rolleyes:

forestgnome
06-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Hmmm... My eye stongly prefers #2. This is a beautiful image. The clouds express a sense of natural power. The lighthouse is a small refuge surounded by the powerful ocean and stormclouds. Excellent image!

fifteendays
06-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Awesome stuff, Jim. I like #1 the best.

That's such a great spot. I was there last month with my 4 year old son and he loved leaning against the steep walls of the lighthouse and looking up at the top. Then we watched people flying kites in the park and he kept me busy running and running and running around all that open space. Here in our yard, deep in the woods of Madison, NH, we don't have that much open space! So he just ran.

Have you ever been down to Nubble Light? That's another photogenic spot. Then again, for people like you, Patrick, Kevin and others in the forums, pretty much anything is photogenic!

Scot
MWO Staff

PS-- We're looking forward to seeing you up here again this summer. You're a glutton for punishment!

Steve M
06-26-2008, 08:06 AM
number 1 looks like heaven has opened up and is shining down on the lighthouse. I like the detail in the rocks.
number 2 looks ominous, I like the detail in the dark clouds.
I like the detail in the water in number 3.

JimS
06-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Awesome stuff, Jim. I like #1 the best.

Have you ever been down to Nubble Light? That's another photogenic spot. Then again, for people like you, Patrick, Kevin and others in the forums, pretty much anything is photogenic!

Scot
MWO Staff

PS-- We're looking forward to seeing you up here again this summer. You're a glutton for punishment!

Hi Scot,

I'm quite excited to help you guys out in a few weeks, as in talking to Brian, it sounds like he's got a lot of work to do, now shorthanded. Besides, with the new condo, you guys are helping me out too...

I have been to the Nubble a few times, including last December at dusk during a snowstorm. I'm pretty happy with my Nubble shot, but after visiting Portland Head, I'm a much bigger fan for all the reasons you said!

Thanks everyone for your continued comments...very helpful!

Here's my Nubble shot:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2240/2125936788_8fa79d3416_o.jpg

Patrad Fischroy
06-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Ok, #1 also gets my vote, the geologist in me appreciates the rock detail, aesthetically I like the light, it has a warmth that #2 lacks that seems to balance the ominous feeling that the clouds bring. #1 did have some highlight blowout in the sky. It might be interesting to try these images as black & white to see if the warmth transfers. All in all, very nice images.

By the way don't worry about the language faux pax, your images speak volumes for you, and they all have the "proper" syntax and grammer.

bikehikeskifish
06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
I keep wondering how #2 would look if you could see the light in the lighthouse, like you (sort of) can in #3.

Too many - countable (too many photo choices)
Too much - not countable (too much light)

Tim

Brad
06-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Jim,

Nice Nubble.

JimS
06-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Jim,

Nice Nubble.

Why thank you Brad!