PDA

View Full Version : Trails for STP

CHRIS
06-27-2008, 07:26 AM
What trail is everybody planning on taking for the STP 08?
I am planning to ascend Ammo. and descend Jewell.

Bill O
06-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Something on the east side. Depending on the weather and my hiking party either Tucks, Lion Head or Huntington.

mtm1208
06-27-2008, 10:42 AM
hi.. my current plan is the same ammo-jewel...

Charlie
06-27-2008, 01:23 PM
well i wanted to take the auto road but it will be tucks to lion head with Brad and any others that wish to join up slower hikers :eek:

mtruman
06-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Current plan is up Lions Head and down Tucks.

Knapper
06-28-2008, 12:41 AM
I will be going up the east side either tux or lions head. I will be the one in obs gear so keep an eye out.

Caffeine Addict
06-28-2008, 12:48 AM
ill be going up tucks not sure of down yet i need to end up near the after dinner

Steve M
06-28-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm planning to go up lions head and down Tucks just because last year I did it in reverse and I'm staying at Joe Dodge Lodge.

Charlie
06-28-2008, 08:46 AM
I will be going up the east side either tux or lions head. I will be the one in obs gear so keep an eye out.

i will be the one with a back pack on :D

KD Talbot
06-28-2008, 09:17 AM
We seldom make plans this far in advance, but some of the things we've been tossing around are: Chances are we'll have 2 cars, in which case we'll leave one in Pinkham Friday night and drive to Marshfiled Station in the morning, climb Ammo and descend Tuck's or LH, pick up car at Marshfield Sunday morning.

#2 I'd like to do Huntington but Jude's not interested and I won't take Emma again, too tough on her. If some were interested in this I would consider it.

The AMC White Mountain Guide considers it the most difficult maintained trail in the Whites. It kicks my a__ every time. If you're afraid of heights or you're not quite sure how you'd be on them, it's not the trail for you. There is a lot of scrambling and hand over hand climbing. Not a consideration if there is any chance of rain.

Boott Spur: Longer, but somewhat easier and definitely less crowded with awesome views of Tuckerman Ravine, (assuming you can see anything that day.)

KDT

MeridenFF
06-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I am thinking up the cog and down in the vans or maybe the opposite. Ok not really sure what trail yet, will depend on the weather and the shape of every one that is hiking with us that morning. See you on the trail. I will be the one wearing hiking boots.

Steve M
06-28-2008, 11:47 PM
I am thinking up the cog and down in the vans or maybe the opposite. Ok not really sure what trail yet, will depend on the weather and the shape of every one that is hiking with us that morning. See you on the trail. I will be the one wearing hiking boots.
Hiking boots and GGG's beer you mean. Also, as long as you keep walking while on the cog and in the van your golden.:D

Tim&Val
06-29-2008, 07:34 AM
We (Tim, Debi and I) will be going up Lion's Head and down Tucks. This is the same route Tim&I took last year, where we met so many folks from this forum! :)

Valerie

Brad
06-29-2008, 08:12 AM
I will wave as you all go by us - again.

Great Guinness Ghost
06-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Hiking boots and GGG's beer you mean. Also, as long as you keep walking while on the cog and in the van your golden.:D

We're thinking about Huntington up and the van down. Tux/L.H. is the alternate if the weather is eh, not so good. Either way, Knowing my beer is in MeridenFFs' pack is incentive enough. However,...as I near the summit I better not see him in a van already on the way down!

MeridenFF
06-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Well it looks like I will be carrying the beer at this point as I am well behind in the fundraising section. If you plan on having one you better keep up because once I get the top I will be opening the beer and yes I will open yours first!

rockin rex
07-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Kevin, Blue Dog did not respond here yet on what trail he is doing but I think he is wanting to do Huntington. After hearing Baxter talk about it last year, he became interested in seeing such a trail. If I wasn't bringing my 8 year old I would really enjoy being in a group that would do Huntington Ravine. As Baxter will attest "There is no trail like it". Madison and myself will be doing Tucks up and down (hopefully). I will need to remind him the reward for the hike is an awesome Turkey dinner.

BlueDog
07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
As Rex mentioned, Baxter's review of Huntington last year was enough for me.. so Graham and I plan on heading up that trail. I'll certainly be hounding Rex for trail notes at camp. If anyone else wants to join up to do that route as a group I think it'd be a blast!

mmatty
07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey...I'd definitely be up for trying Huntington. Never done it, STP would be a great excuse!

BlueDog
07-09-2008, 08:23 PM
The more the merrier Mmatty!

walkerd2
07-10-2008, 10:37 PM
#2 I'd like to do Huntington but Jude's not interested and I won't take Emma again, too tough on her. If some were interested in this I would consider it.

If weather permits, maybe I'll see you up there. Gonna be tough though, been to busy to do much hiking. I wish they had a Huntington Ravine ale for the walk up:D

Steve M
07-12-2008, 08:22 AM
If I weren't hiking for STP on the Wed. before I would love to do Huntington with you guys. I don't think I will try it alone though. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you will have a blast.

storygirll
07-12-2008, 07:58 PM
What trail is everybody planning on taking for the STP 08?
I am planning to ascend Ammo. and descend Jewell.
Sounds like a good plan to me.
This will be my first attempt to climb Washington (I'm a bit worried).
My goal - a safe round trip.
pssst . . . I'm the grey-haired older woman with the cheery "good mornin'" for all.
See you on the trails.

storygirll
07-12-2008, 08:01 PM
well i wanted to take the auto road but it will be tucks to lion head with Brad and any others that wish to join up slower hikers :eek:
I like reading about us slower hikers!

Brad
07-13-2008, 04:13 AM
I like reading about us slower hikers!
We could ask for a special prize for the oldest hiker. After more than a week of doing things with 2 grandsons, waterskiing every morning, and doing a hike back into Tuckermans Ravine I feel a lot older!

storygirll
07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
We could ask for a special prize for the oldest hiker. After more than a week of doing things with 2 grandsons, waterskiing every morning, and doing a hike back into Tuckermans Ravine I feel a lot older!
I agree!
Let's get right on that.

>^..^<

HAPPYCAMPER26
07-16-2008, 10:52 PM
I'll be with my 13yr old son(hoping to keep pace with him) we were talking about boot spur up,havent decided about what to take down yet,time will tell

mtm1208
07-17-2008, 08:47 PM
anyone know the best way to get to jewel trail head from moose brook campground... mapquest is no help..

Bill O
07-17-2008, 09:13 PM
anyone know the best way to get to jewel trail head from moose brook campground... mapquest is no help..

Take US 2 North/West to NH 115. Make a left on 115 (look for moose at that corner) and follow that to US 3. Make a left on US 3 and go south for a few miles. At the stop light go left onto US 302. Make a left onto Base Station Road (Cog Rail access road) and follow that to the trail head parking lot. My map program says 33 miles, and its fast driving.

Or you could take Jefferson North Road. Access to that is off US 2 before you get to NH 115. That's only 17 miles. Maybe a better option if you want to cut down on the distance and don't mind a dirt road. I've never driven that road so I'm not sure how fast the road is.

Brad&Val
07-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Depending on which family members decide to go for a walk that day, we will either do Lions Head up, Boots Spur down or Ammo up, Jewel trail down.

If I am on my own (and the weather is good) I would like to do something with a bit more mileage, maybe start up Madison, hit Adams, Jefferson, Clay, Washington and finish down Lions Head or Boots Spur. Kind of an abbreviated traverse. If I do that I would be happy to have company, but we would probably start early from the Appalachia parking lot.

KD Talbot
07-17-2008, 10:10 PM
" anyone know the best way to get to jewel trail head from moose brook campground... mapquest is no help.."

See posts 26-28 where this question was asked and answered twice by noon today.

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3929&page=3

KDT

mtm1208
07-20-2008, 09:58 AM
looking for easy way to get to Jewel Trail head from Moose Brook Camp ground... i might need to make stop at pinkham notch vistors center first..

Brad
07-20-2008, 10:02 AM
looking for easy way to get to Jewel Trail head from Moose Brook Camp ground... i might need to make stop at pinkham notch vistors center first..
That one is easy - head east on route 2 - go south on route 16 to Pinkham Notch Visitors Center - continue south on 16 to junction with route 302 - turn right onto route 302 and go up through Crawford Notch. After the Mt Washington Hotel turn right and follow the signs to the Cog Base Station.