PDA

View Full Version : summer time hiking clothes

Charlie
06-29-2008, 02:08 PM
i sweat a lot in the summer and i know there is clothes out there that wick moisture away ,i have some shirts from EMS that i like .

but what type of shorts and underwear is there so you dont get a rash from wet shorts .

what type of socks do you use .

thanks for your help

mtruman
06-29-2008, 04:44 PM
There are a number of kinds of wicking underwear similar to the shirts you mentioned. REI, EMS and lots of online merchants have them. Most are either some nylon blend or polypropylene. Here's some examples from REI: http://www.rei.com/category/4501405. Go with a pair of nylon hiking shorts over these and you'll definitely stay dry. I've gone swimming while on the trail in a combination like this and on a hot day you're dry by the time you get your pack back on and get going. Several choices for socks. Coolmax or other synthetic work pretty well but I really like wool best. The main rule for all hiking clothes is no cotton.

Charlie
06-29-2008, 05:00 PM
thanks for your help i will be going to REI soon and will look at them

bikehikeskifish
06-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Only wool socks.

I have some nylon EMS underwear and a variety of nylon shorts.

Body glide, A&D ointment, or bag balm (at tack shops at least) all help with areas prone to chafing.

I am a profuse sweater, even in the winter. My regular hiking, cycling and skiing partner hardly sweats at all and drinks about 1/3 to 1/4 of what I do (he's 130#, I'm 200#) -- It's really quite annoying.

Tim

Charlie
06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Only wool socks.

I have some nylon EMS underwear and a variety of nylon shorts.

Body glide, A&D ointment, or bag balm (at tack shops at least) all help with areas prone to chafing.

I am a profuse sweater, even in the winter. My regular hiking, cycling and skiing partner hardly sweats at all and drinks about 1/3 to 1/4 of what I do (he's 130#, I'm 200#) -- It's really quite annoying.

Tim

i know what your going through i take meds that make me sweat a lot to

thanks for your help i will look into your suggestions

KD Talbot
06-29-2008, 09:53 PM
If you ain't sweatin', you ain't hikin'!

KDT