PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick hello!

JerseyHiker
07-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Just wanted to say hello since I have been reading posts for a couple weeks already. I'm from North Jersey and planning on hiking Mt. Washington for STP. I hope everyone had a great holiday.
:) Nicole

mary
07-06-2008, 08:45 AM
hi nicole....welcome!....is this your first time hiking mt. washington?....

BlueDog
07-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Welcome! Look forward to seeing you out on the trail for StP!

Steve M
07-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Welcome to the forums! If this is your first STP your in for a treat. Great event with lots of great people.

JerseyHiker
07-06-2008, 04:45 PM
It will be my first Mt. Washington hike. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I have been going to the gym a lot more frequently than normal and have done some hikes here in NJ but I know nothing really compares. Just wondering what kind of gear will everyone be bringing with them??

Caffeine Addict
07-06-2008, 05:23 PM
hello and welcome to the forums hope to see ya on the trail for stp

Great Guinness Ghost
07-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Hello Nicole from North Jersey! STPs' are great fun. Looking forward to seeing you up there in a couple of weeks.

spyboy
07-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Where in North Jersey? I'm a Jersey boy originally (shhh don't tell anyone in New Hampshire) :)

But I escaped after college...

Kirk

BlueDog
07-06-2008, 09:17 PM
It will be my first Mt. Washington hike. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I have been going to the gym a lot more frequently than normal and have done some hikes here in NJ but I know nothing really compares. Just wondering what kind of gear will everyone be bringing with them??

Here's a stern warning.... last years STP was my very first Mt Washington hike. In fact it was my first real mountain summit, since that day all I have been able to think about is returning to the mountain. I've been hiking more and more and more to try and satisfy the craving. There's a certain 'spirit' on the mountain that just makes the air smell better, the water from the springs taste crisper and it just draws you in.

If you are staying at Moose Brook State Park, many of us will be camping there. Pop in to the Seek the Peak forum to see if there's anything going on. Last year we all gathered around the campfire to share trail stories after the hike.

Acrophobe
07-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I have been going to the gym a lot more frequently than normal and have done some hikes here in NJ but I know nothing really compares.

No worries, ma'am, it's really not bad at all. I was up on Friday for the, well, I've lost count how times it's been. But I've never found the mountain particularly trying, and I'm hardly an Olympian. :) Enjoy your trip and welcome to NH.

KD Talbot
07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
"It will be my first Mt. Washington hike. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I have been going to the gym a lot more frequently than normal and have done some hikes here in NJ but I know nothing really compares. Just wondering what kind of gear will everyone be bringing with them??"

Check this section of the website:

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/summer_visits/

In the box on the right of that page there are more links to that should answer all your questions, specifically what gear, if not, ask away right here!

"If you are staying at Moose Brook State Park, many of us will be camping there. Pop in to the Seek the Peak forum to see if there's anything going on. Last year we all gathered around the campfire to share trail stories after the hike."

I stated this before but I will again. We reserved the Shelter which is an open air roof with a large fireplace. It is located above the day use area. I expect everyone to stop by for beer and stories after the turkey dinner!

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/map_of_Moose_Brook_State_Park/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&contractCode=NH&parkId=270053&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Mouse over map and Zoom area 2 for location.

KDT

JerseyHiker
07-07-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm from Rutherford, NJ. Where were you from? I would love to move to New Hampshire too but I don't think I could live without my family :(

JerseyHiker
07-07-2008, 11:46 PM
I know what you mean about the spirit, since our visit to NH last year all I think abouit is returning to hike. The hikes I've been on since don't compare.

spyboy
07-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Born in Englewood, grew up in Hillsborough. Went to Rutgers in Newark. Then escaped to Vermont after graduation. Been bouncing all over VT, NH and ME since then (ok, and a few short stints in TX and FL)

My parents retired to Maine over 10 years ago, and last year finally convinced my brother to move up here from NJ. My whole family is so much more relaxed since they moved up here. :)

I'm from Rutherford, NJ. Where were you from? I would love to move to New Hampshire too but I don't think I could live without my family :(

donnellyvj
07-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Hello. I just came back from the Jersey shore (Avalon). I love your beaches. My Friend Steve Spano owns a Restaurant and catering business in Rutherford. Im not sure of the name, I will drop it into this post when I talk to him. Have fun in NH...

Bill O
07-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Hello. I just came back from the Jersey shore (Avalon). I love your beaches. My Friend Steve Spano owns a Restaurant and catering business in Rutherford. Im not sure of the name, I will drop it into this post when I talk to him. Have fun in NH...

I've been going to Avalon almost every year since I was born. I love it there. My parents have been going there since there was a 1st Street.

donnellyvj
07-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I to have been going every year I have lived on this earth. We stayed on 76th st for 18 years and have been dif spot for the last ten. I worked at the Windrift for a summer. Did you ever race in the slow bike race in Stone Harbor on the 4th of July???

donnellyvj
07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
oh yeah. The island starts at 7th or 8th right? They all fell off at some point. do you know when?

Bill O
07-08-2008, 01:32 PM
I think it was more of an erosion process than "falling off" but you are correct. It was either a close approach by a hurricane or a winter nor'easter in the 70's or very early 80's.

We always went in August and have also stayed all over Avalon on the ocean side.

Scorching sun, no trees, no grass, houses right on top of each other and its still a great place. Must be the beaches.

Edit: I was wrong, it was a 1962 Nor'easter that did most of the damage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon,_New_Jersey#The_Nor.27easter_of_1962

JerseyHiker
07-10-2008, 12:23 AM
I actually work at Englewood Hospital in the Emergency Room. I would love to move to NH but my mom is planning on retiring in Florida.. So for now I have to settle for my short trips there.
Is your friend the owner of Steve & Andreas resterant?

rockin rex
07-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey Rutherford, wow. I am from Wayne and will be doing Seek The Peak with my 8 year old son Madison this year. There is nothing better than climbing Mount Washington for Seek The Peak. My son Baxter, who did Seek The Peak last year, was actually born at Englewood Hospital. Small World. Well look forward to seeing you up there Jersey girl. As Blue Dog said Moose Brook campground is where alot of us will be staying. Well again welcome to the mount Washington family.

Brad&Val
07-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Are you guys really from Jersey? I haven't heard anyone mention what exit they live off of. :)

I grew up in north Jersey (Kinnelon) but have been living in NH for the past several years full time. STP is a great time and the hike is doable, especially if you are in reasonable shape. Look forward to seeing you there.

Brad
07-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Are you guys really from Jersey? I haven't heard anyone mention what exit they live off of. :)

I grew up in north Jersey (Kinnelon) but have been living in NH for the past several years full time. STP is a great time and the hike is doable, especially if you are in reasonable shape. Look forward to seeing you there.
Ha - last year I tried to get in shape at the last minute and the hike was long. I think I am in better shape this year. In either case, I will be there for dinner.