PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call for those Staying at Moose Brook

BlueDog
07-13-2008, 04:34 PM
I know its been talked about here and there... but just though we might get a collective roll call for all those staying at Moose Brook campground. Let us know what camp site you'll be at. Maybe we can figure out some 'international sign' for "StP Hiker Staying Here."

Tent Site #15 - Myself, Graham Groove (doesn't post here), Rockin' Rex and Madison

Bill O
07-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Here!

My wife, her sister and maybe some of her friends.

Edit: that would be my sister-in-law's guy friends.

KD Talbot
07-13-2008, 09:03 PM
What site will that be? :D No, really.

We'll be at the Shelter, as stated before, you're all welcome to come by, it's a great spot.

KDT

Edit: Rats!

Tim&Val
07-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Debi and her family along with Tim and I will be in Sites 12 and 14.

Valerie

Brad
07-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Sounds like we are taking over this place!

Charlie
07-14-2008, 09:24 PM
what days are you all staying there i may come up a day early or stay a day later .im staying at a hotel i need my AC but if the nights are cool i may change things .

BlueDog
07-15-2008, 07:57 AM
what days are you all staying there i may come up a day early or stay a day later .im staying at a hotel i need my AC but if the nights are cool i may change things .

We'll be there Thursday night through Sunday night

Brad
07-15-2008, 09:44 AM
You are assuming the hotel has AC.

rockin rex
07-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Madison and myself will be joining Blue Dog on site 15. We will be there Thurs. Fri. and Sat. night. We will have to leave Sun. morning so I can get back to wonderful work. Thanks Blue Dog for allowing us to crash on your site again. We had such an awesome time with you guys last year. Seems like a lot of Seek The Peakers will be at Moose Brook this year. Kevin hope you have enough room in the pavallion for us all.

Charlie
07-15-2008, 03:21 PM
You are assuming the hotel has AC.

yes it does :D

Tim&Val
07-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Tim & I will be there Friday through Monday. Not sure what we're going to do on Sunday yet...

We still need the Wildcats, Adams, Madison and Jefferson to finish our 48. Maybe we'll just bang out a couple more while we're there. :rolleyes: Not a chance.

Fishing... Maybe I'll investigate some fishing opportunities... something that doesn't involve hiking boots.

V

Brad
07-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Tim & I will be there Friday through Monday. Not sure what we're going to do on Sunday yet...

We still need the Wildcats, Adams, Madison and Jefferson to finish our 48. Maybe we'll just bang out a couple more while we're there. :rolleyes: Not a chance.

Fishing... Maybe I'll investigate some fishing opportunities... something that doesn't involve hiking boots.

V
I understand there might be a canoe up at Lakes of the Clouds for fishing up there.

Tim&Val
07-15-2008, 09:30 PM
I understand there might be a canoe up at Lakes of the Clouds for fishing up there.

Excellent point! You really brought those threads together, Brad!!

LOL!

Brad
07-16-2008, 05:38 AM
Excellent point! You really brought those threads together, Brad!!

LOL!
Val, that is my job (for real). I connect the dots. With virga that seems to be real hard since they disappear on you.

Brad
07-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Okay - Charlie is staying in a posh hotel with air conditioning - I am staying at home in Maine - my son may hike with us and he will stay at his place in Maine - a friend from NC will stay at my son's. Is everyone else at Moose Brook? That is what it sounds like. Maybe someone should rent the whole place for us next year.

Steve M
07-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Where do you all want to stay next year?

Brad
07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Where do you all want to stay next year?
From January through March I will stay at your place in Florida.

BlueDog
07-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Maybe someone should rent the whole place for us next year.

Perhaps reserving the group spots might work...

In fact, maybe we could persuade Moose Brook not to charge for the group sites as their "sponsorship" for StP hikers! :)

BlueDog
07-16-2008, 03:19 PM

V

Graham and I are looking to get in a hike on Sunday (as well as Friday or Saturday). We'd like to start ticking off the Presidentials, if you'd be interested in a group tagging along.

Charlie
07-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Perhaps reserving the group spots might work...

In fact, maybe we could persuade Moose Brook not to charge for the group sites as their "sponsorship" for StP hikers! :)

sounds good

Charlie
07-16-2008, 06:42 PM

me to :D:D

Tim&Val
07-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Graham and I are looking to get in a hike on Sunday (as well as Friday or Saturday). We'd like to start ticking off the Presidentials, if you'd be interested in a group tagging along.

Hey BlueDog,

It sounds like fun, but I can't make any promises yet. We'll need to evaluate our knee situation and the weather forecast over turkey dinner. I've never done back-to-back days in the Presidentials. :o

I'll PM you with our thoughts on routes...

Valerie

P.S. I'm pretty sure you blew past us last year, so I'm not sure about the "tagging along" comment! HAHA

Brad
07-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Val, bring a tow rope and harness and you will be able to keep up with him.

Steve M
07-16-2008, 10:26 PM

Just as long as you don't snore too loud, we live in tight quarters.

Steve M
07-16-2008, 10:26 PM
me to :D:D

You too?, I'll have to build a room off the back of the house.

mtm1208
07-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Hi, I will be there Friday and Sat night site 41, and have some family coming too to hang out... i plan to hike JEWEL since its "EASY" ha ha.. as i will have a dog..

i am having trouble map questing Moose Brook to the trail head.. anyone have good directions?

thanks

Brad
07-17-2008, 10:41 AM
It looks like from Gorham west on route 2 - bear left onto Valley Rd - then left onto Jefferson Notch Rd - then left onto Base Station Rd to the Cog.

KD Talbot
07-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, you could go that way if you don't mind traveling 10+ miles at 25mph on a one lane dirt/washboard, mountain road.:)

Otherwise, turn right out of Jimtown Road and take Rte 2 West to Jefferson, south on Rte 115, then south on Rte 3 to Twin Mountain. At the junction of Rtes 3 and 302 turn east on 302 for a few miles. Turn left onto Base Road at Fabian's across from Bretton Woods Ski Area. The parking area is on your right several miles out Base Road. The Jewell Trail starts across the street from the parking area.

Just a word of caution. The quartzite-mica/schist makeup of the rocks above treeline in the Northern Presidentials can tear a dogs pads to shreds. Make sure Fido is OK by checking often. Have a first aid kit and turn around if the dog injures it's paws. Rescuers are not happy about carrying dogs. Also, be sure you have plenty of extra food and water for the dog. Above treeline travel can be like crossing a desert in the summertime. No shade and no water.

KDT

Tim&Val
07-24-2008, 04:53 PM
We'll be there Thursday night through Sunday night

Madison and myself will be joining Blue Dog on site 15. We will be there Thurs. Fri. and Sat. night.

:( Poor BlueDog, Graham, Rex and Madison. I hope they don't float away before we get there tomorrow!!

Valerie

BlueDog
07-24-2008, 07:14 PM
LOTS of rain today. Remember to bring your tarps and paddles.

Charlie
07-24-2008, 08:35 PM
well maybe it is good im staying in a hotel :eek:

if you get rained out im not far from the campground

Town And Country Motor Inn Gorh
Us Route 2
Gorham, NH, 03581

BlueDog
07-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Woke up this morning to blue skies, so we're heading up the mountain to get a warm-up hike in. Obs forecast actually sauy SUNNY SKIES FOR TOMORROW! See you all tonight at check-in.

Bill O
07-27-2008, 10:22 AM
How was Kevin's after after-party? Sorry we missed everybody, but we packed up after dinner and drove back to CT. The thought of sleeping on the ground another night wasn't going over well and judging by the storm we drove through around 9pm I think we made the right decision.

Brad
07-27-2008, 12:37 PM
In Maine last night after STP we had no rain. It was a nice night.

Steve M
07-27-2008, 02:46 PM
We were blessed to watch the T-storms roll over the mountain last night. The lightning vas cool to watch.

KD Talbot
07-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Rex, Madison, Bluedog, Grahame, K,J&E. Not a big party, but good company, and everyone got to speak and be heard. How many parties have you been to where you could do that?

Just before it got dark a strong gust blew through the tops of the trees and I thought, "Oh boy, here it comes." Then nothing happened. After a long while we started to see flashes in the sky. Grahame started timing them with the thunder and we thought the storm was about 40 miles away. Next thing you know it started raining. Rex went over to the main CG and secured all the tents in a downpour. When he got back we sat around having a few beers, Madison made 'smores and we watched the fire as we sat under the shelter while it poured.

By the time everyone left the stars were back out and we could see lightning in the distance. Not sure what they found at their campsites when they got back, but everyone was gone in the morning when we drove through.

Great day, good company, good weekend. Saw lots of old friends and met some new ones, can't beat that!

KDT

BlueDog
07-27-2008, 05:35 PM
I can't say it any better than ^^^. Thanks KD for having us over, the shelter to stay dry and the beverages. And thanks to Madison, our new official S'mores Chef!

rockin rex
07-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks Kevin for having Madison (smores chef) and myself over to hang out and relax. When Blue dog broke out the stuff for smores Madison was thrilled!! Thanks blue dog. What an awesome night it was just hanging out and talking. That pavilion was really nice to have with the rain.