PDA

View Full Version : Where's Karl?

BlueDog
07-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Has anyone else been following this? It's be fun to be up on the summit somewhere when he comes through. I plan to be out on the trail in VA when he comes through this area.

"On August 5, 2008, uber ultra-runner Karl Meltzer will set off on the biggest race of his life. His challenge: to run the entire length of the 2,174-mile Appalachian Trail in less than 47 days. Definitely daunting. Absolutely grueling. Probably insane. But when he does it, he’ll rule the AT as the guy who conquered it, all of it, the fastest on two feet. This is going to be Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Self, Man vs. Clock – and it’s going to be good." WheresKarl.com (http://www.whereskarl.com)

Bill O
07-17-2008, 05:07 PM
That will be cool to follow. I see he was going to run that big ultra-marathon on CA that got canceled by the fires.

Does the AT cross over the summit of Mount Washington or does it go along he west side of the mountain? I wonder if he'll make a detour.

Edit: I actually remember reading about this guy, probably in Runner's World. He's doing it the right way, sleeping in a camper every night!

BlueDog
07-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I believe the AT skirts just around the west side of the summit.

Yeah, the camper is his chase vehicle. I did the quick math, to meet his goal he needs to cover 46.25 miles every day. My feet hurt ust thinking about it!

Arthur Dent
07-18-2008, 04:00 PM
The A.T. northbound goes through the old corral, up between the old Yankee building and the tv towers on the Crawford path, over the summit, and down the Trinity Heights Connector to the Gulfside trail, then takes a right going under the Cog tracks toward the Great Gulf.

Knapper
07-18-2008, 06:39 PM
The A.T. according to our official maps, split with two options, one has you bypass the peak on Crawford Path and turning left on Gulfside Trail (if you are heading north). The other option is as Arthur Dent said "The A.T. northbound goes through the old corral, up between the old Yankee building and the tv towers on the Crawford path, over the summit, and down the Trinity Heights Connector to the Gulfside trail, then takes a right going under the Cog tracks toward the Great Gulf." I have heard from through hikers that both are correct and also dependent on which map or guide book you are using if any. If I were hiking it though as one of those once in a lifetime events, I think a few extra feet up the summit is worth it.

rockin rex
07-20-2008, 07:02 AM
As a thru hiker alumni, how you could hike from Ga.to Me. and not summit Mount Washington, seems crazy. Mount Washington turned out to be the highlight of my thru hike hence why I decided to get married on top of the rock pile. Now to running the trail in record time. This guy will be sleeping in a camper and will have a full support crew so the only thing he has to do is run. The guys who run it with no support and fully self contained are the ones who amaze me. I guess either way you are running around the same amount of miles. The difference is just in how you do it. A camper and home cooked meals are much better than a shelter floor and cliff Bars.

Arthur Dent
07-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Knapper-"The A.T. according to our official maps, split with two options, one has you bypass the peak on Crawford Path and turning left on Gulfside Trail (if you are heading north)."You may want to check who made the maps and the date. The Trinity Heights connector was constructed in the early 1980s as a link of the A.T. and since then it has been the official route. If you check the Crawford Path sign near goofer point and the Trinity Heights Connector sign near the corner of the Tip-Top house, you will see the A.T. logo. Check the Gulfside between the Crawford Path and the junction of the Trinity Heights Connector and the Gulfside and you will see which way the A.T. goes. The attached photo is from a vintage official A.T. map (revised 1983) and it clearly shows the only route as being over the summit.

Knapper
07-22-2008, 01:39 AM
You may want to check who made the maps and the date. The Trinity Heights connector was constructed in the early 1980s as a link of the A.T. and since then it has been the official route...

Washburn map 1978-1987. To save time, I will say you are correct, the AT is marked on the path you show on your map.

Steve M
08-11-2008, 10:04 PM
It looks like Karl Meltzer is going to cross into Hew Hampshire if he hasn't already. I am interested in following him through the Presidentials and the Whites.

Arthur Dent
08-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Karl stopped at the parking lot in Grafton Notch State Park (where the A.T. crosses RT-26) for the evening.

BlueDog
08-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Looks like he should be crossing MW in about 3 days?

Arthur Dent
08-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Karl's plan, as of right now, is to get to RT-2 (Gorham) tonight and go from the Rattle River trailhead to Crawford Notch, 47+ miles, tomorrow. Personally I think this day is too ambitious having hiked this section a few times and it took me a few days.

I believe the biggest flaw in his plan is to only stay at road crossings with the support team in his large RV instead of doing any back country camping. This restricts how many MPD he can hike. He needs to average about 47 MPD to break the record but he's already had one day where he had to do either 33 miles or 64 miles and he chose 33. These deficits do add up and could be a problem later.

mtruman
08-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Looks like he should be crossing MW in about 3 days?

At his current pace of close to 50 miles per day (yikes!!! :eek:) it should be even sooner. Looks like he should be in NH by early afternoon based on his current location.

Brad
08-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Arthur, I agree with your point. He either has to adjust to very short or long days based on stopping where the RV can go - or he does wasted time to go down to the RV for the night and come back up to continue.

Rich
08-12-2008, 01:00 PM
I've been following him. In his video cast he's currently behind schedule due mainly to one day with torrential rains. He's not worried as he'll make it up in the flatlands further south. I'll be at a trailhead in CT to clap him on when he cruises through.

6000 plus calories burned a day! Crazy!

Brad
08-12-2008, 02:48 PM
I have an album of topo map images of the AT. I flipped the order to match Karl going north to south. Here is where he is now on the image labeled AT-145 on the top of Mt Success just after crossing into NH.

http://images22.fotki.com/v838/photos/8/8235/2740355/AT145-vi.jpg

The album is at http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/friends/corey/trail/

Arthur Dent
08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Brad-"I have an album of topo map images of the AT."I just took a quick look and AT-141 (http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/friends/corey/trail/at-141.html) has major errors. You show the A.T. going directly down to Crawford Notch and up the A-Z trail to Zealand Falls Hut but that isn't where it goes.

The A. T. Goes over Jackson, along Webster Cliff, then drops to RT-302 before going around the end of Wiley to Ethan Pond, past Whitewall on the old RR cut, then to Zealand Falls Hut.

Brad
08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Great - if you all see other errors post them here. The Delorme Topo software sometimes does not show where the trail goes and i had to guess.

Arthur Dent
08-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Brad-"...The Delorme Topo software sometimes does not show where the trail goes and i had to guess."Delorme TopoUSA v7.0 shows the Appalachian Trail and it seems to be pretty good at showing the trail. Here is what your AT-141 would look like on that software without the red line enhanced, of course.

rockin rex
08-12-2008, 06:51 PM
I just can't see what the hype is all about. I say this from the view point of being a former thru hiker (1986). The record that is set right now is from someone who did it unassisted. That means no camper, no clean clothes, no support team. That is the way the trail is meant to be done. The forum V.F.T.T. has some extremely good insight into this whole record thing. When I did the trail I started at Springer and hiked to the big "K" carrying everything I needed. I averaged 20 miles a day carrying 65 pounds. Karl is carrying nothing and is in a camper every night. Just seems he is missing the whole idea of what Benton Mckaye meant for the trail to be. Seems to me that a very big ego is in the making here. Thru hike the trail for the love of the trail. Not for a record.

Steve M
08-12-2008, 07:15 PM
I just can't see what the hype is all about. I say this from the view point of being a former thru hiker (1986). The record that is set right now is from someone who did it unassisted. That means no camper, no clean clothes, no support team. That is the way the trail is meant to be done. The forum V.F.T.T. has some extremely good insight into this whole record thing. When I did the trail I started at Springer and hiked to the big "K" carrying everything I needed. I averaged 20 miles a day carrying 65 pounds. Karl is carrying nothing and is in a camper every night. Just seems he is missing the whole idea of what Benton Mckaye meant for the trail to be. Seems to me that a very big ego is in the making here. Thru hike the trail for the love of the trail. Not for a record.

I'm with you.

Rich
08-12-2008, 07:54 PM

I felt the same way when I first learned of his attempt but, then I thought, to each his own. Minus well sit back and see if he can do it....then encourage him to turn around and hike back to Maine the proper way!

Arthur Dent
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Rockin Rex-"The record that is set right now is from someone who did it unassisted."The record is held by Andrew Thompson (2005 ~47.5days) who had support. The last hiker to do it unsupported was Ward Leonard in 1990

Rockin Rex-"...Just seems he is missing the whole idea of what Benton Mckaye meant for the trail to be..." Benton MacKaye would be just as surprised that anyone would thru hike the entire trail and until 1948 no one thought it could be done. Earl Shaffer had trouble convincing people he actually hiked the trail. MacKaye envisioned a series of work camps (or communes) where workers could come and get closer to nature and escape the stress and competitiveness of the industrialized world.

Although I will never speed hike the A.T., and actually can't, I see nothing wrong with what Karl is doing. It in no way affects my accomplishment where I fulfilled my dream.

KD Talbot
08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
If he wants to do it "his" way, well, whatever. It's just to prove it can be done. If I was physically capable of such a feat I'm not sure I would do it. It would be just to say I did. There would be very little time to enjoy what you were doing. To me, that would be the whole point.

There are 100 mile races in the mountains. After 30 miles they have to stop and lance their blisters and tape their feet so they can keep going. What fun!

There was a recent race in the Whites. Up under the gondola on Wildcat to the summit, down the Wildcat Ridge Trail to Glen Ellis Falls. Up the Glen Boulder Trail to Boott Spur. Down the Boott Spur Trail to the Boott Spur Link Trail and then down to Hojo's. From there along the Raymond Path to Huntington Ravine Trail. Up Huntington Ravine Trail to the summit. Down and over Clay to Jefferson. Down the Six Husband's Trail to the Great Gulf Trail, then up the abandoned Adams Slide Trail to the summit of Adams. From there over to Madison and down the Daniel Webster Scout Trail to Dolly Copp. About 20 miles and 16,000+elevation gain. Most finished under 12 hours. Anyone up for next years run?

Tim Seaver ran 21 4000 footers in 24 hours last year. Mats Roing hiked all 48 4000 footers continuous, unaided. This means he hiked all the distance between them, too, in 11 days last year, and it wasn't a record.

There's a lot of nuts out there! :)

KDT

Steve M
08-12-2008, 09:19 PM
It just goes to show if there is a record to beat somewhere, someone will try to beat it.

mtruman
08-12-2008, 09:41 PM
... There's a lot of nuts out there! :)
A lot of nuts indeed. Everyone clearly has their own reasons for these things but they are sure missing a lot. I enjoy pushing myself but even at this incredibly minor level I usually wind up looking back and realizing that I missed something because I was in too big a hurry. Can't imagine what it's like for these guys. As far as Karl's specific case I have to agree with Rex - this just doesn't seem to be what the AT is about. I'm sure the AT hikers he meets out there would tell him that - if they had time to say anything as he blew by.

rockin rex
08-13-2008, 06:13 AM
Art not sure what you consider a support team? I would have to say Andrew would disagree with you. Karl is completely computerized and they know where he is every 10 minutes. He sleeps in a camper every night and did you check out what his menu is. He is eating better than I do at home. If you go to view from the top forum Andrew's record is talked about there and from I what I read it was what I would call unassisted. Ward Leonard I met and he was just a fast insane hiker. He did it like everyone else. Well I guess we will all see if Karl and his crew make it to Springer.

Arthur Dent
08-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Rockin Rex-"Art not sure what you consider a support team? I would have to say Andrew would disagree with you....
...If you go to view from the top forum Andrew's record is talked about there and from I what I read it was what I would call unassisted...."Wrong. You're looking at uninformed opinions from people who apparently aren't familiar with Andrew's speed hike. While many people may totally disagree with Karl's supported hike, the fact remains that Andrew Thompson was supported, as everyone, including Andrew Thompson (http://www.vtsports.com/features/1801), freely admits

Andrew Thompson-"The AT was a two-man effort—me, the hiker, and my best friend Jon Basham, as support crew. We had one vehicle, a Toyota Tacoma, which we lived out of. Basically, we broke it down to 45-50 miles each day, and we went north to south. Jonboy would meet me where roads crossed the trail. Sometimes several times a day, sometimes never. Nearly every day ended at a road crossing where we camped (discretely and out of sight). Jonboy cooked on the tailgate, and we each slept in backcountry tents, always tucked out of sight. I couldn’t afford to be awoken in the middle of the night by police. We only had one situation when we were in Shenandoah, and a ranger was patrolling, due to severe weather. We were moved 15 miles up the road to the nearest campsite in the National Park. After many long days of repetition, we climbed Springer Mountain, GA, around midnight, to set the record, breaking the 48-day, 20-hour mark set by a friend of mine, Pete Palmer of Bar Harbor, Maine."

rockin rex
08-13-2008, 08:20 AM
"I love the trail. I’ve lived within miles of it in five different states. My speed hike was another way to experience it. These words taken directly from Andrew Thompson site http://www.vtsports.com/features/1801. This is the difference. How many times has Karl done the trail before?? Karl doesn't love the trail. He only wants to beat Andrew's record. See those of us who have spent most of our lives hiking the A.T. know what it means to really love the A.T. I am so into the A.T. I named my kids after it. Baxter,Daicey and Madison. See For Andrew his passion was just taken to another level. Karl is a whole different story. Karl's passion is breaking a record. He could care less about the trail.

Arthur Dent
08-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Rockin Rex, Sorry but I'm having trouble following you. You went from Andrew Thompson's speed hike being unsupported, which was incorrect, to what seems to be your real reason for disapproving of Karl's hike-you somehow feel he could care less about the trail. Now that you know Andrew Thompson's speed hike was supported do you despise him too?

There is nothing I have seen or read to indicate that Karl doesn't respect the trail and the other users on the trail. His doing the trail differently that most doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate it in his own way. HYOH-Hike Your Own Hike.

With over 6000 miles and thousands of hours of volunteer time over a quarter of a century I don't take Karl's hike to be an affront against God, MacKaye, or me. I can see that nothing anyone says will change your mind but it is unhealthy for you to obsess over this. Have a nice day.

Rich
08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27983616@N03/2759056063/in/photostream/

Karl's feet after eight days. Do you think he'll make it to Springer?

Steve M
08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27983616@N03/2759056063/in/photostream/

Karl's feet after eight days. Do you think he'll make it to Springer?

Where is Jerry meeting him again?

Arthur Dent
08-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Steve M-"Where is Jerry meeting him again?"Maybe you should change your byline to:

"Are there really any BAD puns???;)"

rockin rex
08-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Art you have your view point and I have mine. Lets leave it at that.

Steve M
08-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Maybe you should change your byline to:

"Are there really any BAD puns???;)"

Or, how about; "There are many people in this world...not all will agree with your own sense of humor!":D

Brad
08-13-2008, 02:12 PM
I am amazed at how people are able to do the whole AT - either direction. I would love to do it, but it will probably never happen. So, my hat is off to anyone who has done it or is doing it - in any manner they wish. It is still a staggering feat (both puns intended).

What Karl is trying to do is amazing and if he does pull it off I will be surprised. He has already been through some tough territory. The next few days will be brutal. Then he has to endure doing it over and over every day. It would be nice to be in good shape again.

I will stick with my high energy sport being waterskiing.

BlueDog
08-13-2008, 02:31 PM
According to the site he's east of Glen House... this mean he will cross NW today?

[edit]

Found this pic on the photo stream. Comment says he'll be on the mount tomorrow. Do any of the web cams catch the AT?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/2759063045_e9bc51fb5a_o.jpg
Caption: Clouds over Mt Washington as seen from Gorham. Karl will be up there on Day 10.
Photo by Tommy Chandler

Bill O
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
What Karl is trying to do is amazing and if he does pull it off I will be surprised. He has already been through some tough territory. The next few days will be brutal. Then he has to endure doing it over and over every day. It would be nice to be in good shape again.

I could only endure those long distance trails by doing it as fast as possible. Sleeping in a camper every night wouldn't hurt either. I'd put the Long Trail on my list, but only because I think I could slash the usual month long trek to less than two weeks. Doing it section by section would be bearable too.

To be honest, sleeping on the ground is of little interest to me. Maybe that will change the day somebody makes a comfortable sleeping pad. Camping is a means to an end, not something I'd do just because.

Breeze
08-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Not being a betting person, I won't put money on it, but my thought is Karl will be sleeping in his camper in the Wildcat parking lot tonight, heading out at daylight or a little before. The first mile stretch of the AT leaving PNVC will be a good wake-up sprint to get his blood moving ( Old Jackson Rd).

Holey Mackerel.

Blessings on ya Karl, don't put a foot down wrong!.

Breeze

Arthur Dent
08-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Karl's plan for tomorrow (Thursday, 8-14-08) is to hike from Pinkham to Franconia Notch, 53.6 miles! I will definitely be watching his progress.

Knapper
08-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Saw Karl's entourage yesterday in Gorham, NH going to Walmart as I was heading to Shaw's for the summits weekly shopping. The RV he is using is wrapped with motto and information. Pretty neat. He is expected to pass by today. The only webcams that might capture something is the west view cam or the north view cam but that is a long shot but you never know. If we see or hear anything, we will try to snap a pic for the comments but no guarantees.

rockin rex
08-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Pinkham to Franconia in one day?? I would say he is probably looking to make it down to laffayette campground. That is a big day. Now I am going to get myself in trouble. Will Karl take the extra time and summit or will he slide by on the side. The Appalachian Trail goes around the summits not over them. Yes I know the trail goes over Madison but the rest is around. He should have fun running up the Osgood Trail. Also between Galehead and Greenleaf should be fun after running so many miles. Hard way to finish a day. Once going past 302 what other road besides 93 could he have the Karl camper meet him?? Still don't get this camper thing but oh well.

Brad
08-14-2008, 06:28 AM
I was looking at the maps this morning and figure Franconia is a very long day. He is behind from where he wanted to be. There is so much ground to cover with no good stopping places. My bet is he gets to Crawford Notch and then does a long day tomorrow to Franconia and says he is behind a day. I am sure he can make that up.

rockin rex
08-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Brad we have all hiked this section many times. I honestly didn't think anyone in one 24 hr period could make it from Pinkham to Route 93. I tried a couple years ago to see what shape I was in and tried doing the Franconia loop from the Wilderness Parking lot in one day. I made it over the Bonds past Galehead and when I got to Garfield I was done. I slept there and in the morning finished up. I didn't want to do Franconia Ridge in the dark. Not worth it. Karl is going to try to almost double this in one day. Will be very interesting day for all us forum folk to see what he does. He is probably running up the Osgood as I write this. Madison hut crew get his folgers coffee ready. He is coming thru.

Arthur Dent
08-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Rockin Rex-"...The Appalachian Trail goes around the summits not over them. Yes I know the trail goes over Madison but the rest is around...."The trail also goes over the Summit of Mount Washington. See the map in post #7.

According to the SPOT tracker info, at 8:21 A.M. Karl was at Edmonds Col and has covered 8 miles this morning in 3.8 hours.

rockin rex
08-14-2008, 08:59 AM
So if I am not in error for him to make his goal for today he will have to be on the trail for around 17 hrs straight correct?? This would be averaging 3 miles an hr which he should be able to do with no problem. This would put him into Franconia around midnight. Franconia in the dark?? He would miss SEEING one of the most beautiful parts of the trail. This will be a long day for Karl.

Steve M
08-14-2008, 09:11 AM
It seems like too much, even for someone who has trained like crazy to accomplish this. I guess there will be no autographs on Mt. Washington.:)

rockin rex
08-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Big question is will he even stop on Washington or run across and onward South. Will they let the camper drive up the auto road?? This is a huge public location so will be interesting to see what happens here. He has a huge day planned and if he does stop this will be precious time lost. He should be there right about now.

rockin rex
08-14-2008, 09:44 AM
From what I see with Spot tracker Karl has taken a break on the rock pile. Ryan you see him up there??? He is going to have a hard time making Franconia. Did the camper come up to meet him???

Arthur Dent
08-14-2008, 09:53 AM
The above calculations seem to be correct, at 3 MPH, Franconia at midnight. At that speed he should be just beyond Garfield at dark. Even if there was a full moon and clear skies, that section, until you start up the North Peak of Lafayette, is in the woods and will be very dark, plus it's rocky. So from Garfield to I-93, about 10 miles, will be even slower than the 3 MPH estimate during the day. Of those 10 miles, about 5 miles from Little Haystack to I-93 is also in the woods and will be slower. The forecast for the higher summits today isn't that bad with temps in the 50s, winds 5-25MPH, in and out of the clouds. If storms do hit, and that is possible, that will further complicate matters.

If Karl can pull this day off I will be surprised, actually amazed and shocked would better describe it. Today could show if he can deliver or if he has totally underestimated the mountains in NH. To say he is confident is an understatement.

They will not let the RV up the Auto Road.

A 9:20 A.M. update shows him west of the summit so either he has incorrect information about where the Appalachian Trail goes, the map is slightly off registration, or he chose to bypass the summit. He did the last 3 miles in 1 hour.

Brad
08-14-2008, 09:59 AM
He is at Lakes of the Clouds now. Amazing on those rocks

mtruman
08-14-2008, 10:17 AM
I can't imagine anyone (who is remotely human) doing that day. We basically did that route over the course of 8 days between last summer and this one. Half of it in a day is nearly unfathomable for me (although I know that people in much better shape than I am do it all the time). I agree several of the other posts as well. Even if this whole hike is just about setting a record how could you possible do one of the most beautiful parts of the entire AT in the dark????

Steve M
08-14-2008, 11:14 AM
He's goal driven so nothing matters but the goal. The scenery will have to wait for another time.

Rich
08-14-2008, 01:25 PM
He's goal driven so nothing matters but the goal. The scenery will have to wait for another time.

Exactly Steve! If he was to take his eyes off the trail for a even a second...especially on today's leg...he would be DONE!

Brad
08-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Karl has been through some tough territory already. But, I think today is the toughest yet. Hard trails in the morning and a long reach to get to Franconia notch.

rockin rex
08-14-2008, 02:54 PM
His spot locator is not recording where he is. Last mark was mt. pierce. Everything recording fine up and till that point. He should be well past 302. He is around 10 hours out with between 7 to 9 more hrs to make goal. Art made a very good point. The point between Galehead hut and Garfield is very DARK!!! I can truely attest to that. He will really have to slow down in this part no matter what.

BlueDog
08-14-2008, 03:33 PM
The way I believe the Spot locater works is that the runner has to press a button in order for it to record a waypoint and send it to the system. It's not truly 'real time.'

So I would guess on some since long stretches he wouldn't mark as much. Versus you can see alot of marks on his ascent, where he's going slower.

Bill O
08-14-2008, 03:41 PM
The way I believe the Spot locater works is that the runner has to press a button in order for it to record a waypoint and send it to the system. It's not truly 'real time.'

So I would guess on some since long stretches he wouldn't mark as much. Versus you can see alot of marks on his ascent, where he's going slower.

He could be cowering at the top of a tree with a pack of enraged foxes tearing through his backpack and playing with his Spot locater.

Just tossing around some possibilities.

Brad
08-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I was thinking bear.

Bill O
08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
I was thinking bear.

That's crazy. The last place he'd want to be if there was a black bear is in a tree. Now, the bear could be in the tree chewing on his right arm still holding the Spot Tracker with his finger just off the emergency button.

Brad
08-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Spot just located Karl heading for Mt Garfield at 4pm. Or Karl is chasing the bear with Spot. In either case, Karl is going for the whole day. Amazing.

Neil
08-14-2008, 04:19 PM
I honestly didn't think anyone in one 24 hr period could make it from Pinkham to Route 93.

Not to brag, but to speak to the feasibility of this section:
I did it from Carter Notch, up Mad Gulf, then along the AT (for the most part, I think there were a few diversions) the rest of the way to Franconia Notch in about 21 hours. I was destroyed. I was hallucinating between Galehead and Greenleaf, but it is doable. Furthermore, this is an annual summer challenge for the Hut Crews. They call it the hut traverse. The times can be way way better than mine was. I forget what the record time is, but I assure you it would make you feel ill. I haven't been following this thread but if this guy is in shape he should be able to do this just fine.

-Neil

mtruman
08-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Not to brag, but to speak to the feasibility of this section:
I did it from Carter Notch, up Mad Gulf, then along the AT (for the most part, I think there were a few diversions) the rest of the way to Franconia Notch in about 21 hours. I was destroyed. I was hallucinating between Galehead and Greenleaf, but it is doable. Furthermore, this is an annual summer challenge for the Hut Crews. They call it the hut traverse. The times can be way way better than mine was. I forget what the record time is, but I assure you it would make you feel ill. I haven't been following this thread but if this guy is in shape he should be able to do this just fine.

-Neil

Amazing! What were the hallucinations between Galehead and Greenleaf? Some people claim to have had these doing just that stretch in a day.:rolleyes:
Looks like he's still going to be doing a good chunk including Franconia Ridge in the dark but seems like he'll make it today. Still can't fathom this...

Brad
08-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Amazing! What were the hallucinations between Galehead and Greenleaf? Some people claim to have had these doing just that stretch in a day.:rolleyes:
Looks like he's still going to be doing a good chunk including Franconia Ridge in the dark but seems like he'll make it today. Still can't fathom this...
The problem is - we know these trails and know how hard they are in daylight.

rockin rex
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
This guy is on a mission!!!!!!!!!! He just made it thru Maine in 8 days and did Pinkham to Franconia in 1 day. This is one of the most incredible things I have seen in the way of endurance. As said in the previous thread there is a hut traverse that does all the huts in one day which is amazing but they don't do it after running all the way from Kathadin. He will sleep well tonight. Tommorrow he gets Kinsman and moosealock (sp)

Neil
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Amazing! What were the hallucinations between Galehead and Greenleaf?
I thought I was hiking with another person, despite being completely alone... I was quite mad at them as I thought they were slowing me down. hehe, it was weird to see what your brain does when you push yourself that hard.

The north lafayette and the trail down to Greenleaf actually isn't too bad at night. Being above treeline for a good portion of it allows a bit more visibility. Especially if the clouds die at sunset and the waxing moon comes up. Might be really nice.

Incidentally, after doing this hike I forever swore off pushing that hard again. Just isn't fun or worth while. Day hikes with nice views are far more worthy of discussion when it really comes down to it.

-Neil

rockin rex
08-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Rememeber the trail does not go to Greenleaf. He continues down the ridge to Liberty then down. In reaching Lafayette he still has a ways to go. He will see the hut glowing down below and maybe even hear people but on he will run. Franconia in the dark?? Not for me but Karl is at a whole different level!!!!!!!!!

Neil
08-14-2008, 05:29 PM
This guy is on a mission!!!!!!!!!! He just made it thru Maine in 8 days and did Pinkham to Franconia in 1 day. This is one of the most incredible things I have seen in the way of endurance. As said in the previous thread there is a hut traverse that does all the huts in one day which is amazing but they don't do it after running all the way from Kathadin. He will sleep well tonight. Tommorrow he gets Kinsman and moosealock (sp)

Very true.
Though packing to and from the huts every other day is not too shabby either, and tends to be what gets people in the shape to be able to do this sort of thing. Still nothing compared to the day in day out push this guy is doing.
Unreal.

Also true about the AT going over the ridge, then down past the Liberty tent site. Forgot about that, I did.

Steve M
08-14-2008, 06:23 PM
I am amazed. If he gets to his destination tonight it's incredible. I guess I view things from the normal day hiking routine and see things from the vantage of those who hike it for the views and enjoyment rather than total speed and endurance aspect.

Brad
08-14-2008, 06:48 PM
6:44pm and he is on Garfield. Still some light left but it is starting to fade fast.

Rich
08-14-2008, 08:09 PM
8-14-08

"It's 4:41pm and Karl Senior and I are in N. Woodstock. Karl is in major business mode today. As I told you earlier, he took off at 4:12 this morning for the climb over the Prezzies. He got off trail once somewhere up on the ridge and lost about 35 minutes, but otherwise had a great run. He came into Crawford aid station at about 1:00, which was about what we had planned for, and stayed for 9 minutes exactly, and then took off. He was a little bummed he lost that 35 minutes, but he said he felt great and was eager to get back on the run. Fellow Utahn Mike Dawson also ran up from Crawford to meet Karl at the Lake of the Clouds, and then ran back down with him. During the 9 minutes that he was with us today, he drank Ultragen, stuffed his pockets with too many gels to count, and wolfed down a couple sandwiches. His stomach is like a blast furnace these days, and he says a sandwich usually only lasts him for about 30 min. The weather so far today has been beautiful, with a few clouds and sprinkles, but great for running in the mountains.

More thanks to all the folks who've been good to us along the way and for posting comments. For those wondering more about Karl's motivation or wanting to hear from him personally on this journey, keep in mind that all he really has time for is eating, running and sleeping. My job is to tell the story and details, but for a little background, the guy is a lifelong runner and outdoors person. His dad has told me numerous stories about him running cross country when we was young, multi day bike trips, hiking and ski trips in the mountains, etc, etc. He's also a competitor and has the drive that goes along with that. It's safe to say when he does something, he wants to be really good at it and has the suffer gene needed to make it happen. He's also wanted to do the AT for a long time."

Arthur Dent
08-14-2008, 08:27 PM
7:52 P.M.. Karl is approaching the summit of Mount Lafayette after about 15 hours of running/hiking. He has covered about 47 miles and has about 5.9 miles to go to get to the Flume area and I-93. He will be doing the last 'few' miles in the dark which could slow him down some.

I'm really amazed.

Breeze
08-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Karl isn't alone with the " suffer Gene".

My PC will tell you that I spend inordinate amounts of time, energy and thought in February, March and April enjoying the mindboggling efforts of world class dogsledding teams in various long and short term Alaskan mushing competitions.

To each their own. It matters, somehow, at the soul level, that people choose their battles and fulfill their OWN objectives within their OWN VERY personal framework.

Go Karl. Stay safe.

Breeze

Brad
08-15-2008, 05:41 AM
Staggering

mtruman
08-15-2008, 09:18 AM
He made it from the summit of South Twin to the summit of Liberty in 4 hours flat - half of that in the dark. Absolutely astonishing!!! How anyone can trail run the majority of that route with the kind of terrain that it has is beyond me. Doing it as the final section of an 18 hour day that covered all of the Presidentials plus Crawford to South Twin is simply not human... Hats off to Karl!

Brad
08-15-2008, 09:30 AM
His eye - foot coordination has to be amazing to do those trails at that pace in the daylight. And knowing the foots are tired just adds to it all. Then try to do it in the dark. Wow

BlueDog
08-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Regarding the dark.... I've done some endurance Adventure races (12 hour - 24 hour) and actually have found that the our team was a little fast at night. Other teams seem to do well at night too. What I think it is, when you are *goal* oriented at Dex points out, in the dark you don't have the scenery as a distraction. Your attention get focused on the trail directly in front of you. You spend less time looking at that steep hill in front of you, mentally dreading the climb before you even get there.

There also gets to a certain point where you can ignore the tired muscles and pain and your legs just start to work like a machine, mechanically going through the motions and you know if you stop it will be harder to start than if you just keep going.

Still... what Karl is doing is 10x beyond that level and just amazing. I certainly hope he makes it the distance. I'll be in Harpers Ferry to chear him on when he gets down this way.

Steve M
08-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Where is Karl? Is he still east of Rt.3 or has he crossed over? Does anyone know if he summited Washington or bypassed it to the west?

Brad
08-15-2008, 11:41 AM
This morning he slept in, which meant gettng up at 6 and being out on the trail around 7:40. I made bacon, eggs and cinnamon bread to get him going, along with the normal rations of coffee, Ultragen, eletrolyte drinks, etc. Today will be easier because there are shorter sections split by roads, so we'll see him a couple times before the end of the day. He's planning to get in 31 miles today over to Hwy 25, which will be a good stopping point
So, it sounds like he hit the trail at 7:40 this morning aiming for route 25.

rockin rex
08-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Did spot say no more ??? No matter who it is, a day like yesterday has to hurt. I see day 10 is not updated yet either on the where is Karl site. Looks like yesterday, as we all have said here, was a very tough day. How someone can do that day and then do another 50 mile day right after it is just insane. Would be nice to see what he decided to do today. Without spot we are in the dark. My respect goes out to Karl to make a day like he did yesterday. Yesterday was only day 10. He still has 37 more days to go. Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Brad
08-15-2008, 01:10 PM
The post this morning said the goal today is 31 miles to get to route 25. Still anything after yesterday would be a big deal.

Steve M
08-15-2008, 01:11 PM
If he can breeze (no pun intended) through the Whites like he did then he should have no problems when he gets into some of the flatter states further south. He should be able to easily make up for time lost.

mtruman
08-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Karl's stats for yesterday were just posted. 52 miles in just over 18 hours. Looks like he got a slow start today as he was just starting to head up Moosilauke at 2:00. Maybe a bit tired from yesterday? Can't imagine why :rolleyes:

BlueDog
08-15-2008, 02:34 PM
2:15 Spot puts him West of 112 between the summits of Mt Blue and Mt Jim

From today's notes:

Just met Karl at Kinsman at this first checkpoint of the day. He came in just after 1pm, stayed for ten minutes and then took off. We had quite the crew there with a few guys doing an overnighter with a cooler of beer, guitar, walking sticks made of beer cans and duct tape, and the personalities to match. I've got photos and video...it's hilarious.

Karl is feeling good, his feet hurt and he's planning on going to 25C today. So we are in town for a quick update/resupply and then we're out.

I checked the Spot and turns out I had not turned it on correctly this morning. Apparently I'm kind of a hack with all this tech stuff ;). We got it turned on and I just spotted one ping south of Lost River Road (112), so looks like we're back in business.

Ok I'll update more details as soon as I can. Today is my last day on crew, and we'll have Jonny from Backcountry and Karl's wife Cheryl coming in tomorrow.

Steve M
08-15-2008, 03:20 PM
At the rate he's moving he'll have made NH look easy.

Brad
08-15-2008, 03:29 PM
At the rate he's moving he'll have made NH look easy.
But, you must remember - he is a legal alien.

At 2:52 he was on top of Moosilauke. From there it is South Peak and then down to the RV. 31 miles - looks so easy!

Brad
08-15-2008, 05:20 PM
The post this morning said the goal today is 31 miles to get to route 25. Still anything after yesterday would be a big deal.
They are now saying karl wants to get to route 25C before he quits for the day.

Steve M
08-15-2008, 06:30 PM
They are now saying karl wants to get to route 25C before he quits for the day.

Sounds like he is feeling pretty good.

Brad
08-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Spot says he went even further to 25A.

TrishandAlex
08-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Good gracious, I cannot fathom the capabilities of this guy. I mean, wow. Just wow. Truly incredible.

Arthur Dent
08-19-2008, 10:50 AM
I just checked the "Where's Karl" web site and found the following update. I guess Andrew Thompson's record is still the one to beat. One can only wonder if the 53 mile day through the Whites was the main cause; or a combination of that and running/walking far differing miles per day. Another runner who has tried the trail thought that trying to do about the same amount of MPD was easier on your body. Karl's plan to only stay at roadside in the RV hampered trying to do more consistent mileage and I thought that was a big mistake. Of course sitting here in front of my computer, it's easy to second guess Karl. Still an amazing effort.

"My Anterior Tibialas is tweaking. It’s swollen and unrunnable right now. Needless to say, the record will remain in AT’s (Andrew Thompson) hands. My plan now is to pop vitamin P (Prednisone) for a few days and see what happens, along with ice baths a few times a day. I am not quitting yet, vitamin P sometimes has an incredible affect on inflammation, and I will continue if it comes around….quitting this early is not an option. Thanks for all the support and cross your fingers, cuz’ it ain’t over yet."

TrishandAlex
08-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Good for him for listening to his body. Resting and taking care of that now will enable him to try again another year. Wise man.

Bill O
08-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Good gracious, I cannot fathom the capabilities of this guy. I mean, wow. Just wow. Truly incredible.

In terms of trail running he might be the best, in terms of being an all around athlete that's debatable. He has a very specialized body made for doing one thing...running he Appalachian Trail. I bet most of the people on this forum could jump higher than he can.

Damn, I wish I had posted my call earlier. I was going to take the bet against him making it the whole distance. Mostly based on the odds and injuries.

Brad
08-19-2008, 12:50 PM
He is saying he is taking one day off and expects to be on the trail tomorrow.

Bill O
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
He is saying he is taking one day off and expects to be on the trail tomorrow.

That's what I saw too, I'm getting mixed signals here.

He must have quite a system to keep his feet in working order. Just a few miles a day can take its toll.

rockin rex
08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Don't ever count anyone out but I will say he came out of the gates strong!!!!!! Maine 8 days and 52 mile Washington day. As I said in previous post the 52 mile day seems to have been the rough day. How can you run a double marathon over Washington and expect your body to keep going for another 37 days averaging 45 miles every day. If he does not continue it will go to show that the East coast does have some mountains :)

Steve M
08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Just to do what he has done to date is amazing to me. Not to mention continuing for the next month.

Bill O
08-20-2008, 03:10 PM
He must have quite a system to keep his feet in working order. Just a few miles a day can take its toll.

I guess not...he's got trench foot. I don't understand why they didn't manage his feet better. Dry boots and clean socks at every major road crossing. A thorough wash down in the evening and drying over night.

Steve M
08-20-2008, 08:15 PM
With all the photo's of his feet every night I thought they were taking care of them.

rockin rex
08-23-2008, 07:06 AM
Don't see update. Is he done? The record is gone but will he still continue to finish trail?? Boy do I know oh so well how those Maine trails turn into rivers. I rarely had dry feet in Maine from trails turned into rivers and stream and river crossings the feet were almost always wet. There was a point well made though with all the logging roads that intersect the A.T. up there Karl could have had dry socks and shoes as often as needed them. There was no reason he had to have wet feet so often. constant wet feet do make things more interesting.

Arthur Dent
08-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Karl's site had him hopefully hiking about 18 miles today with his wife. I assume he's trying his leg out to see how it feels to determine if he can continue the A.T. as a hike, but not as a run. It looks like he has called it a day at 1:10 p. m. at a road just south of Stratton Mountain and he got the 18 miles he was hoping for. The $64 question is how is he going to do tomorrow. That will tell us a lot about whether his leg has recovered or not. I still wouldn't expect to see any huge days for some time, if at all. I wish him luck.

rockin rex
08-26-2008, 08:59 AM
http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20080813/NEWS/456322172/1042&title=Hendersonville_native_closes_in_on_hiking_re cord

This is very interesting to see another record attempt. Very different than how Karl is doing it.

Bill O
08-26-2008, 09:44 AM
http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20080813/NEWS/456322172/1042&title=Hendersonville_native_closes_in_on_hiking_re cord

This is very interesting to see another record attempt. Very different than how Karl is doing it.

Impressive, just 11 days off the male record with no hype or fanfare.

Rich
08-26-2008, 09:57 AM
She's better looking too.:rolleyes:

Brad
08-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Just west of where Karl is for tonight is an east-west road called Mt Washington Road. On some maps one of the mountains to the SW of there is called Mount Washington. The views from the trail as it heads south has to be awesome. The eastern side of the ridge almost drops straight off.

Rich
08-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Just west of where Karl is for tonight is an east-west road called Mt Washington Road. On some maps one of the mountains to the SW of there is called Mount Washington. The views from the trail as it heads south has to be awesome. The eastern side of the ridge almost drops straight off.

That's a gorgeous area! Yes, there is a Mt. Washington just to the SW of Sheffield. I spent 5years on the top of that Mt. at a YMCA camp. The hike up there is an awesome ridge walk!

KD Talbot
08-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Is he here?

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm

KDT

Caffeine Addict
09-28-2008, 06:14 PM
well looks like karl is trying to make it to the end today/tonight which would mean 82 miles today :eek:

Bill O
09-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Could be in around 4am Monday morning.

Just think, slightly better planning and drier feet and he would have made it. I'm impressed he pulled it off after the disaster in Vermont, and only a few days short...or long.

MsCntry
09-28-2008, 08:55 PM
GO KARL!!!! http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/2.gif GO!!!!

JimS
10-01-2008, 05:48 AM
He finished up! Here's the story from the Union Leader. No Record, but a great hike!

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Trail+quest+ends+in+style&articleId=b7998de3-9569-49c6-ad57-08f001a7e3e5

MsCntry
10-01-2008, 08:40 PM
I think Joe read that he came in like 4th or 5th down the list. We will definitely cheer him on if he decides to do it again, like he says!!:D

Bill O
10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I think Joe read that he came in like 4th or 5th down the list. We will definitely cheer him on if he decides to do it again, like he says!!:D

Seems to me like you only get one chance to do that in your life. Both mentally and physically it has to be exhausting beyond anything I can compare. That would be amazing if he came back and tried again. As of right now though he has probably done serious damage to his body (especially his heart).

Brad
10-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I can not imagine what he went through. Does not matter on the record or how many days. He was amazing.

MsCntry
10-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Exactly!! He said in the article it may not be next year, but maybe the year after. The only thing he knows right now is he is gunna be doing a lot of resting LOL. Like we really blame him for that!! I know I couldn't of done what he did, it was amazing!!