PDA

View Full Version : Home at the Range on the Summit

timechime
07-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I had the pleasure of volunteering on the summit last summer. It was an unforgettable experience and I hope to return when my schedule permits. Before I left, I remember having a conversation about the tempermental, half century old, six burner cooking apparatus in the kitchen. It went along the lines of my having to delay dinner one night since I couldn't get the thing to hold temperature and cook a rather large portion of meat all the way through.

During the same conversation, I mentioned I would like to find a newer range for the summit, but I had no way of getting it to the top. I can't remember if it was Scot or Ken who chimed in, mentioning that "If I got it to the base, he'd get it to the summit."

Well jeez...a whole year has gone by and I was just remembering that conversation and wondering if the folks really do need or even want a new cooktop.

I propose this....

I'd like to hear from Volunteers and Staff in an effort to answer the question....Do you need a new range?

If so, I'd like to get some necessary specifications so I may search in earnest for a modern replacement that could somehow be shipped to the base of the mountain.

I have no idea how much this would all cost, but as my donation to the Obs and to the stomachs of everyone up there working and volunteering, I will foot the lions share of the cost (as long as we're not talking about something requiring a mortgage). If anyone else...volunteer or otherwise would like to donate to this endeavor, please let me know and I'll make every effort to keep everyone posted.

This might be a pipe dream or something deemed not worthwhile.....but....I'm willing to give it a whirl.

I shall await your comments.

Jeff Weinberg - Summit Volunteer - June '07

Steve M
07-20-2008, 05:49 AM
I had the pleasure of volunteering on the summit last summer. It was an unforgettable experience and I hope to return when my schedule permits. Before I left, I remember having a conversation about the tempermental, half century old, six burner cooking apparatus in the kitchen. It went along the lines of my having to delay dinner one night since I couldn't get the thing to hold temperature and cook a rather large portion of meat all the way through.

During the same conversation, I mentioned I would like to find a newer range for the summit, but I had no way of getting it to the top. I can't remember if it was Scot or Ken who chimed in, mentioning that "If I got it to the base, he'd get it to the summit."

Well jeez...a whole year has gone by and I was just remembering that conversation and wondering if the folks really do need or even want a new cooktop.

I propose this....

I'd like to hear from Volunteers and Staff in an effort to answer the question....Do you need a new range?

If so, I'd like to get some necessary specifications so I may search in earnest for a modern replacement that could somehow be shipped to the base of the mountain.

I have no idea how much this would all cost, but as my donation to the Obs and to the stomachs of everyone up there working and volunteering, I will foot the lions share of the cost (as long as we're not talking about something requiring a mortgage). If anyone else...volunteer or otherwise would like to donate to this endeavor, please let me know and I'll make every effort to keep everyone posted.

This might be a pipe dream or something deemed not worthwhile.....but....I'm willing to give it a whirl.

I shall await your comments.

Jeff Weinberg - Summit Volunteer - June '07

I will be up there volunteering this week and I will let you know what I find concerning the range and if the crew is wanting it replaced or not.

Bretton Woods Brat
07-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Our week volunteering, was in June this year and I have to tell you.. I enjoyed the old beast. It was the first thing that caught my eye. I said.. " how the hell? " :eek: But it worked out fine, takes some tweaking.... 1/2 hour to heat up and runs 100 degrees higher. The six burners is a plus. I'm sure the big question would be energy efficiency?

Jeff, very generous of you! I'm sure you'll get a bunch of opinions on this! If this pipe dream works out, I would like to donate. Good luck. :)

Steve M
07-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Our week volunteering, was in June this year and I have to tell you.. I enjoyed the old beast. It was the first thing that caught my eye. I said.. " how the hell? " :eek: But it worked out fine, takes some tweaking.... 1/2 hour to heat up and runs 100 degrees higher. The six burners is a plus. I'm sure the big question would be energy efficiency?

Jeff, very generous of you! I'm sure you'll get a bunch of opinions on this! If this pipe dream works out, I would like to donate. Good luck. :)

Thanks for the heads up. It should help out in planning meals and hopefully not burning dinner!:eek:

Brad
07-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up. It should help out in planning meals and hopefully not burning dinner!:eek:
You could always bring a new one up with you this week when you hike up.

timechime
07-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Please let me know...Maybe everyone likes cooking on the old stove and I'm an anomaly...I loved cooking for the crew, but did find I had intermittent problems with temperature and cooking times. Perhaps more experience with the old range would have alleviated that..... Have already started looking just in case and it looks like 36" wide and six burners is the standard. I'm thinking oven space needs to be large...no bells and whistles that would hinder a big ham or roast from going in.

I remember hiking down to the Lakes and several folks passed me several times with frame packs full of supplies coming down from the summit. I could just imagine a range strapped to the frame of one of those packs.:D

Brad
07-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Maybe someone could pop it in the canoe as it goes by.

Bill O
07-20-2008, 02:05 PM
They really do need a new range up there. On windy days its not uncommon for the flame to blow out. An built-in electric igniter would certainly help.

Don't forget, the oven also needs to be gas.

Steve M
07-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Maybe someone could pop it in the canoe as it goes by.

Good idea, and hike it up Ammo.:D

timechime
07-20-2008, 04:03 PM
You are right about the burners blowing out. While I was there, I was fortunate enough to see 80+MPH winds in June. I remember using an awful lot of those little wooden matches to re-light the burners and oven. I'm assuming the gas is LP and not natural. Usually it isn't hard to change the orifices or order one set up for LP. Electric ignitors are standard now in gas ranges.

Charlie
07-20-2008, 07:56 PM
it is LP and it would be nice to have a new one for when i take a turn next summer

i will also kick in a couple $$ to help

and i kook old school and dont time cooking much i do inside temp and look to see if it is done

timechime
07-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the offers to chip in so far. What I need most are measurements. Is it 36" wide? Are there any limitations I need to know about. Looking at a nice stainless Vulcan and one other right now. Like everything on the summit, it'll get used a lot and should be built to last.

Steve M
07-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the offers to chip in so far. What I need most are measurements. Is it 36" wide? Are there any limitations I need to know about. Looking at a nice stainless Vulcan and one other right now. Like everything on the summit, it'll get used a lot and should be built to last.

Can we get this shipped and installed by Wed???:D Just kidding, anyway I can get the measurements for you although we haven't gotten any feedback from the crew yet, so we should see what they think.

Brad
07-21-2008, 05:34 AM
Checking to see what pictures I have of the kitchen.

http://images27.fotki.com/v980/photos/8/8235/5270630/IMG_5211a-vi.jpg

Puffed bag of chips
http://images26.fotki.com/v934/photos/8/8235/4998508/IMG_6210a-vi.jpg

Nope, none of the actual stove setup.

Steve M
07-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Is that Jim's favorite snack food?

Bretton Woods Brat
07-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Found two....

timechime
07-21-2008, 08:42 AM
I'll bet that's 36". Anyway...I'll wait to see how the crew feels and we'll go from there.

JimS
07-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Is that Jim's favorite snack food?

Jim eats healthier than that...Jim's favorite snack food is baby carrots and hummus.

That is Jim's favorite atmospheric effect! Remember Boyle's Law??

As far as the stove...some love it, some hate it, but updated technology is probably what will resolve itself here. I think if this route proceeds, Ken and Scot will want to have some part in the decision process, but it will be interesting to hear from current staff and volunteers on the matter. Forums are so democratic!!!(?)

As for Ken's claim to get the thing into place if it shows up at the base, I've learned not to doubt these claims. I've seen him macgyver an anemometer out of 5 paperclips, a shoe lace and my mostly empty cups of green tea lying around the weather room and powered it with a lemon moraine. However, getting the stove up the mountain and the old one out may require a few more "Have I got a deal for you's" than usual!

Jeff, great to hear from you and thanks for putting the offer on the table!

~Jim

h2oeco
07-21-2008, 09:07 AM
When I was at the summit as a volunteer in March, Scot brought a group up, and he did mention that a new stove was on the wish/to do list.

The old stove/oven does work just fine, and you can cook a lot of good stuff on it, but a new stove would probably make things easier/safer/more reliable.

Getting the old stove out, and the new stove in will be one of the biggest issues. I helped move out the old dishwasher, and bring in the new, and even that was a tight fit through the doors and stairs.

Ed

Steve M
07-21-2008, 09:37 AM
They may have to be dismantled and reassembled to get them switched out. This could be a big job. One for Charlie I think.:)

timechime
07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
I would definitely want Ken & Scot's input.

I'll have to come up from NC again just to try it out. I'll make some of that Mt. Washington Chicken for you Jim.

Knapper
07-22-2008, 01:42 AM
Jeff-

It is nice that you are putting this out there. I would say before this ball gets rolling too far, please talk to Scot or Ken some time this week. You should have the valley number from volunteering. You can either call Karen and be transferred or PM me and I will provide you with their extensions.

timechime
07-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Will do Ryan.

Charlie
07-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Getting the old stove out, and the new stove in will be one of the biggest issues. I helped move out the old dishwasher, and bring in the new, and even that was a tight fit through the doors and stairs.

Ed

well we can just move the kitchen up stairs and this will make more room for members to spend the night up there

They may have to be dismantled and reassembled to get them switched out. This could be a big job. One for Charlie I think.:)

a gas stove is very easy to to take apart if needed or we can make bigger doors also :D

Steve M
07-23-2008, 10:23 PM
I will be using this old stove for the first time tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes.

fifteendays
07-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Even though I post in the forums now and then, I (unfortunately) don't have the time to dig through each and every thread... Incredible ForestGnome moose pics are always tops on my list, followed by STP threads and other random comments. It's all great stuff, and I wish I had more time between crazy job and crazy kids/home/family to read every word in here.

I have just now read through this entire thread and I want to start by saying thanks to timechime (Jeff) for getting this concept out there. Sorry it has taken me a while to catch on! The short answer is "yes"-- we need a new stove and we want to make it happen sooner than later. We couldn't fit a purchase into our budget plans for this year, so the concept of getting a new stove has been placed (warning: bad pun) on the back burner.

Right after STP, I'm headed to the Cape for a vacation week with the family. Jeff, after I return to the office on August 4, I'd love to talk in detail about what you have in mind.

I just did a very quick search for a 36" dual-fuel commercial-grade range and found this one (http://www.homeclick.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=268601) as an example. There were others for slightly less and substantially more, but we would have to have a discussion at the staff level about our needs and go from there. I imagine that we could get away with a very solid, reliable stove, perfectly suited to our needs for under $5,000.

Just tossing this out there-- I personally think it would be very impressive (if we choose to get moving on this) if we could raise the appropriate $$$ through these forums and through the ranks of volunteers that cook for us. My guess is that many passionate volunteers that have experienced fire literally shooting out at them from our stove might be compelled to give! We could then design some great signage for the kitchen that honors the generous folks that made it all happen. Our volunteer appreciation event in August might just be the place to introduce this idea.

Let's bat this around more in the coming weeks. In the meantime, I'll await your comments. Jeff-- I can be reached at 603-356-2137, ext. 218.

(Does anyone have a helicopter that can extract our existing stove and deliver it to the Smithsonian?)

Best,
Scot
MWO Exec. Dir.

timechime
07-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Scot,

Glad to see your input on this and I like your ideas. The stove you found is a very nice one. I'd be glad to kick in a sizable chunk for the benefit of future volunteers and staff.

Being one who enjoys cooking a great deal, there is nothing better than creating a good meal using good equipment. Not to say that the range you have isn't good. Its solid and I'm sure many thousands of delicious meals have been put together on brutally cold days to warm the stomachs of everyone on the summit. I do remember hearing some comments about the old beast and thought. "Wow. Wouldn't it be great if these folks up here could have a new range...considering how much cooking goes on...and for so many people."

I remember hatching the idea at the shift change meeting before going down. I believe it was Ken who said "If you get it to the base, I'll get it to the summit." I didn't forget that.

I've only been to the summit for one volunteer stay and hope to be back at some point in the future....but being from way down in NC and having a business to run..that isn't easy.

If you find a range that suits your needs...and I'd be glad to look too...let's see what we can come up with. I've already seen a few pledges from folks commenting on the forum...I bet it wouldn't take long at all.

Maybe some "stove stories" in Windswept and a picture of the "wish" for the summit??

Put the old one on the observation deck and do a sequel to "Rockpile Crunch" with somebody cooking something on a rime encrusted stove.:D

I will contact you soon.

RI Swamp Yankee
07-28-2008, 12:40 PM
...Right after STP, I'm headed to the Cape for a vacation week with the family. ....
I always wondered WHERE someone from MWO would ever want to go for a vacation :D

Ok, back On Topic ....

Is there an address where donation checks could be sent, made out to "????", memo "????" ?

timechime
07-29-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm guessing...if and when the green light is given and the actual stove to be purchased gets nailed down, Scot or Ken will tell us where to send it and how to make it out. We'll be discussing it more when Scot gets back....

Brad
07-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Is there an address where donation checks could be sent, made out to "????", memo "????" ?
I would suggest sending checks to the MWO regular address in N Conway that is on the web site. That is where I have sent things in the past.

h2oeco
07-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I won't be able to come back up for the volunteer cookout, but would be happy to contribute to the stove funding.

Ed

Steve M
08-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Alright, now that I have more time and a weeks worth of cooking on the current stove/range, I would like to say that a new stove/range would be in order. What I found is:

1. The burners must be lit with matches or a long lighter and timing is the key to not losing your eyebrows, though I had no issues with this, I could see it as a possible problem.

2. The oven takes about a half an hour to get to 350 degrees and holds temp about 25 degrees above what you set it at.

3. There is no window to see your food in the oven so to check it is to let out lots of heat, thus increasing cooking times by a lot. I cooked pizza one night and the first two came out of the oven in 20 min. The second two took 40 min.

Another thought I had for the old stove is to put it on ebay and see how much you can get for it. There must be people who would love to have an official MWO stove out there. You could put the profits toward the new stove.

Also, I noticed how the floor in the kitchen/dining area is in rough shape. I have set a lot of tile over the years and would be willing to lay new tile up there. Let me know if this is something you are interested in.

Charlie
08-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Also, I noticed how the floor in the kitchen/dining area is in rough shape. I have set a lot of tile over the years and would be willing to lay new tile up there. Let me know if this is something you are interested in.

steve i would love to help you with i did a little tile here and there :eek:

Bretton Woods Brat
08-03-2008, 08:37 AM
1. The burners must be lit with matches or a long lighter and timing is the key to not losing your eyebrows, though I had no issues with this, I could see it as a possible problem.

My arm hairs have grown back in! :eek:

Brad
08-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Scot will be coming back from vacation tomorrow - will read this thread and will wonder what happened while he was away. Scot will need to get control of this great thread since he is The Man.

Steve M
08-03-2008, 02:08 PM
My arm hairs have grown back in! :eek:

LOL...So you know what I'm talking about!:eek: The first day I used the stove I was clicking away with the lighter, trying to get the stove lit and didn't realize I was being watched by a woman who came up with the edutrip group. After a minute she spoke up and asking me if I knew what I was doing. I assured her I did and that the problem was with the lighter...not the lighter:D

mtruman
08-03-2008, 03:14 PM
When we were taking the OBS tour and were down in the living quarters I pointed at the stove and said "ah ha! - so that's the fire belching stove I've been hearing about". Got quite a reaction from the person giving the tour. It was a look like "how the heck did you know that?".

Steve M
08-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Any new news on the stove?

timechime
08-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Was going to wait for Scots next input.....

Brad
08-18-2008, 09:47 PM
For those who have not seen The Stove, I took this picture yesterday.

http://images37.fotki.com/v1237/photos/8/8235/6597295/IMG_0069-vi.jpg

timechime
08-18-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm back to searching again....sent off a note to Scot to get his input.