PDA

View Full Version : My summit experience.

Steve M
07-23-2008, 10:45 PM
It has been a very busy three days. I finished up all my last minute projects on Monday and spent the night at a friends in St Augustine so I could catch an early flight out of Jacksonville. I arrived in Boston at 12:30 pm where Kevin was waiting for me and we had a good ride to PNVC. Kevin is a wealth of knowledge and good company too. After getting settled in at JDL I had dinner at the AMC and went for a short hike up on square Ledge. The trail was wet with puddles since it has been rainy. The views were not so hot and it started raining while I was up there. When I returned to PNVC, Peter Crane was giving a slide presentation on the history of Mt. Washington which was very educational. Peter is a great speaker. The next morning I started up Tucks trail at 7:00am. It was completely cloudy with rain and t-storms in the forecast. Again, the trail was wet and muddy in spots and the rivers are all flowing very nicely. I made it to HoJo's around 9:30 and it was cloudy and breezy. As I headed up the headwall I saw the snow but the arch (or what I know of the arch) was only half an arch. Although there is still a considerable amount of snow left in that spot. Half way up the headwall I disappeared into the clouds and it was pea soup the rest of the way. The wind really began to pick up as I approached the Summit but I made it without getting rained on. I was inside the OBS by 11:00am. I have met alot of people today and they all are great fun. It's going to be a great week. I will be posting pics when I get the chance.

Brad
07-24-2008, 06:53 AM
It seems only right to welcome the chef of the week by letting him see the inside of pea soup.

Rich
07-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Steve, glad you made it up safely. Enjoy yourself! Can't wait to see pics!

Bretton Woods Brat
07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Glad the weather didn't stop you! Enjoy your week... if you get fogged in, the crew your with, feedings every two hours. :eek:

Steve M
07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Glad the weather didn't stop you! Enjoy your week... if you get fogged in, the crew your with, feedings every two hours. :eek:

It's like being in a tank with sharks!...Just kidding.:)

Bretton Woods Brat
07-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Cookies Monsters! :eek: