PDA

View Full Version : Storms

KD Talbot
07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
We're getting severe storms with torrential downpours here in Rockingham and Hillsborough Counties. Everything is moving northeast along the Maine border.

There are reports on WMUR of a tornado touch down in Epsom, just northeast of Manchester with 50-100 homes damaged.

KDT

JimS
07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Still in NJ, missing the crazy weather. Aside from the tornado damage, I'm jealous!!! (Love thunderstorms, hate the associated damage)

Kevin, you scared the CR@P out of me, as I read Epping and not Epsom.

Stay safe and enjoy!

KD Talbot
07-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Still pretty close, considering...

KDT

spyboy
07-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Some of the local NH businesses have twitter accounts now

http://twitter.com/psnh - Public Service NH
http://twitter.com/WMUR9 - Channel 9
http://twitter.com/nhpr - NH Public Radio

Steve M
07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Still in NJ, missing the crazy weather. Aside from the tornado damage, I'm jealous!!! (Love thunderstorms, hate the associated damage)

Kevin, you scared the CR@P out of me, as I read Epping and not Epsom.

Stay safe and enjoy!

It's really fun to be on the mountain during this storm. I know you have experienced much worse but for me sustained winds of 50 mph with gusts to65 mph are brand new and awesome to experience. In a way I'm glad this one is a slow mover.

Tim&Val
07-24-2008, 03:14 PM
We in Ashland (Exit 24 on Rt 93) has been getting hammered since yesterday. Many nasty thunderstorms overnight and probably a couple inches of rain today. It's so dark out that it looks like evening.

Man, it's hard to pack for Moose Brook when it's pouring like this outside!! :(

The MWO forecast looks better for Friday! I'm just clinging to that.

Valerie

Charlie
07-24-2008, 03:17 PM
what does it look like for fri and sat

Tim&Val
07-24-2008, 03:34 PM
what does it look like for fri and sat

Quoted from Ryan Knapp on the Seek-the-Peak thread... this is for the summits...

The upper level low that has sat over the Great Lakes region the past week or so will continue northward and will become an upper level trough that will persist over New England for the next 5 days and beyond. This will continue to cycle in waves of energy that will produce rain, heavy at times and thunderstorms. A surface low will drag a cold front slowly across the region today into tonight continuing rain showers until it fully passes tomorrow (Friday) morning. This will keep things unsettled and foggy on the summits until Friday afternoon when drier air will work in behind the front. Friday night into Saturday morning will see summits become mostly in the clear under partly cloudy skies. Saturday will start out nice but as the day progresses, a low to the north will swing another cold front in. This will bring scattered showers and thunderstorms for the afternoon into the overnight hours and beyond. This front looks similar to todays, another slow mover and soaker. Humidity’s will also be increasing during the day on Saturday. Humidity’s are not as big of a deal on the higher terrain but will make things muggy on the hike down, depending on when you descent. The summits will probably see in and out of the clouds in the afternoon as a result. Highs are projected to be upper 50s to lower 60s still with early morning temperatures at mid to upper 40s. As for percentages for showers, 20-40 percent morning, 35-55 percent around midday, 40-60 percent in the afternoon. So, if I were to give advice, travel early, pack rain gear, and leave the cotton clothing at home.

spyboy
07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Are you're an I-93 "neighbor" I'm at Exit 23 in New Hampton :)

The house just got powerwashed with monsoon type rains, crazy weather blowing through today.

Kirk

We in Ashland (Exit 24 on Rt 93) has been getting hammered since yesterday. Many nasty thunderstorms overnight and probably a couple inches of rain today. It's so dark out that it looks like evening.

Man, it's hard to pack for Moose Brook when it's pouring like this outside!! :(

The MWO forecast looks better for Friday! I'm just clinging to that.

Valerie

JimS
07-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Looking at the reports now, looks like about 50-100 houses damages and destroyed between in the epsom, deerfield and barnstead area. One fatality...

Here is a link to the radial velocity radar image of the storm. This shows wind fields, towards and away from the radar site. Areas of contrasting colors, or strong winds towards the radar next to strong winds away indicate mesocyclone rotation...

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?s=&showtopic=169259&view=findpost&p=2890074

KD Talbot
07-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Jim, that link goes to their forum.

KDT

JimS
07-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Oh, you might not be able to see the attachement in the thread unless your a member there...I'll try to embed the radar image later.

For now...holy geez...this damage is impressive. Looks like it was a long pather tornado as well...indications are that there is sporatic damage along a path all the way to freedom, nh, about 45 miles...

Here's some pics of the damage near epsom/deerfield...
http://flickr.com/photos/nhpr/sets/72157606356592076/

KD Talbot
07-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Have they actually come out and said, "Tornado"? It sure looks like one to me.

I've experienced a micro-burst in my neighborhood. It knocked down huge trees, but there was no structural damage other than what the trees hit. Some of these buildings look as though they were blown apart by direct hits from a tornado.

KDT

Brad
07-25-2008, 11:32 AM
With all this rain Tuckermans Ravine looks like there is a lot of water coming down as you go up the Little Headwall.

http://images41.fotki.com/v1253/photos/1/1002902/6410124/20080725_112018_ravines-vi.jpg

Steve M
07-25-2008, 11:42 AM
When I hiked up Tucks on Wed all the streams were already high for this time of year. You can hear the rush of water coming over the headwall from HoJo's. The trail up the headwall has lots of moving water flowing over the rocks. I would imagine after yesterday and Thursday it should be even more impressive.

KD Talbot
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
NWS has confirmed that a tornado set down in Deerfield, NH, about 25 miles northwest of me, and only about 10 miles nw of Jim. A woman was killed and her husband and 3 month old grandchild were injured. The house was destroyed.

KDT