PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Mt Washington in the Dark??

DannyNJ
07-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Coming down Tuckerman Tuesday afternoon about 3 we met a couple on their way up. They were only about an hour from Pinkam's Notch. In talking to them, they seemed like experienced hikers, etc. I asked them if they thought they'd be OK since they wouldn't be reaching to top till about 6-7 PM or so, and then turning around and heading back down. They said they'd be fine, they'd hiked in the dark before, and mentioned something about having lights they could attach to their poles????

Weather conditions were rainly, puddles and wet surfaces.

I'm not what you would call an experienced mountain hiker by by means, but I thought they were nuts.

I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks.
Dan Allen

Charlie
07-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Coming down Tuckerman Tuesday afternoon about 3 we met a couple on their way up. They were only about an hour from Pinkam's Notch. In talking to them, they seemed like experienced hikers, etc. I asked them if they thought they'd be OK since they wouldn't be reaching to top till about 6-7 PM or so, and then turning around and heading back down. They said they'd be fine, they'd hiked in the dark before, and mentioned something about having lights they could attach to their poles????

Weather conditions were rainly, puddles and wet surfaces.

I'm not what you would call an experienced mountain hiker by by means, but I thought they were nuts.

I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks.
Dan Allen

other then the rain i would rather hike a little at night if you have all the right things and if you do not need to see all the scenery and it will be a lot cooler

Bill O
07-24-2008, 08:12 PM
If you're prepared to hike in the dark there is nothing wrong with it.

Most of the big mountains out west require you to start hiking at night (Hood, Rainier, 14'ers in Colorado). I've hit the trail at the crack of 2am. Summit day on Mount Everest begins at 8pm for some.

freehill
07-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I like to hike at night with my Headlamp on,
Last winter I hiked up to tux starting at 11PM or so,
I was surprised to see dozens hiking down at this hour
and later,.... Most of them had probably skied tux that day
and took advantage of every single hour.
Sometimes you can get spooked:eek: at night, (when by yourself),
But for the most part it is just a different adventure.
I think I read somewhere that someone had climbed
all the 4,000 footers, reaching each peak at midnight.
Cool Right?
Freehill

Knapper
07-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Being a night observer on the summit the past three years, I can say that night hiking is a common occurence, more so in the summer than winter. I have run into people at all odd hours of the night. Occasionally, these are people in need of medical help but a majority come up on purpose in the middle of the night. I have asked why a few times and the reasons vary. Some hike up at night to watch sunrise. Some hike down at night to catch sunset. Some hike up and down early/late for skiing. A lot hike at night to avoid bad weather forecasted. Some hike night to avoid inevitable summer thunderstorms. Some hike at night because it is cooler especially since 1/3 to 1/2 of you hike starts in the hot/humid valleys. Some hike at night because there are less people. And I am sure there are more but these are some of the answers I have been told. In fact, I will be starting up tomorrow night for Seek the Peak to catch sunrise above treeline. Day or night, if you know what you are doing, you should be fine.

DannyNJ
07-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Who would'a thunk? Thanks. Not for me but in theory it sounds interesting.

Dan

rockin rex
07-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I will tell you if you haven't experienced a sunrise from one of the summits that you have climbed you really have missed alot. When I was staying at Madison Hut I left while everyone was fast asleep and headed up Adams to catch the sunrise. It by far was the most incredible sunrise I have ever seen. To watch the sun rise up behind Madison was something I will never forget!!! Just me sitting on the top of Adams, looking down at the hut thinking all those sleeping people are missing this. After the sunrise I headed back down to the hut for breakfast wide awake and ready to start the day. Please if you haven't climbed to watch a sunrise you need to do it. What a way to start the day.