PDA

View Full Version : my first STP

Charlie
07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
i have to say that when i started talking about doing this i knew i was going to have a hard time with the hike .then talking with brad and then having the pleasure of hiking up with him and Corey it was the best hike i ever had .
i did not make it to the top i stopped at the bottom of lions head at 4565ft ,my legs started to cramp up and i said to brad to keep going .i found a nice conformable rock [ that was hard to find a rock ] and sat there for 2hr just looking and looking and looking . this is the highest i ever hiked so when i started i said it does not mater to me to make the top but to go as much as i can . if it was not for brad and Corey i would have not made it to this height .

this day was one of the top days of my life to have made it this far and to have the chance to meet some amazon people .

thanks to all the people that had a hand in making this event happen and i will be back next year for STP 2009 :D

all i can say is i made it to my peak this day and will never forget it

thanks charlie

mmatty
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Charlie:

Sounds like u had a phenomenal day, and have exactly the right attitude about it all....was a great day to sit and take in the sights.

Was a great STP....my first as well (but not my last!)

Mike

FisherCat
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
all i can say is i made it to my peak this day and will never forget it

Way to go man, that's the spirit, and what's most important is you have no regrets!

freehill
07-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Fantastic Job Charlie, Fantastic!!!
These are the stories I look forward to most
after Seek The Peak! I do not know you but
I feel awesome for you ,Friend.
I always struggle hiking up Mt Washington
and Man Do I feel it more today,
in my calves then I did yesterday.
Charlie I hope your feeling of accomplishment
stays with you all the way till STP09.
I am sure you put a smile on faces that
you have never even seen. (You did mine....)
:)

Nice,
Freehill

Brad
07-28-2008, 07:10 PM
I posted some words about Charlie's accomplishments in another thread. But it is only right to add here too. As we were going up from Pinkham Charlie mentioned he had a goal of getting to Hermit Shelter. To do that he would be very pleased.

We kept a steady but not really too a slow pace up to the junction with Lions Head trail. There were a few stops for photos - but not really any need for rest stops. It was a steady - breathing easy - climb. We actually made very good time to the junction. At the junction with Lions Head trail we met several people, talked a bit and then just continued together up the trail - up the rock ledges - up the ladder - up to getting a great view out over the valley. Charlie had gone way past his personal goal and did extremely well. But, as we reached the edge of treeline he knew he should not go farther and I respect him greatly for knowing this and acting wisely on it. He stopped and enjoyed the view of a lifetime. Such a day to get to that level and be able to see out over the valley to Wildcat.

Charlie, we are pleased you had such a great day. And I am proud to have been able to be there with you for it.

Charlie
07-28-2008, 08:24 PM
thank you to all like i said it is a day i will remember until i make the top next year when i go all the way .:D

i will start working on my legs as soon as the pain stops :eek:

thanks charlie

Bill O
07-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Nice job Charlie, its great to hear about anybody attempting Mount Washington.

storygirll
07-28-2008, 10:12 PM
There is just something so inspirational about being high in the mountains. I am in constant awe of the landscape (and I live here). Charlie - your day sounds like a gift!
Hold on to those memories and I'll see you on the trail in '09.

>^..^<

BlueDog
07-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Congrats Charlie! Any time on the trail is better than time sitting at a desk! And besides, its the journey, not necessarily the destination.

Tim&Val
07-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Charlie,

Congratulations on your accomplishment! It was great to meet up with you on Lion's Head! The mountain is all about what you make of it. It sounds like you had a phenomenal experience! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Valerie

KD Talbot
07-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Just want to echo everybody's sentiments here, Charlie, great job!

KDT

Charlie
07-29-2008, 08:30 PM
thank you all thats why this is a nice site to be on

its not how many peaks you may have under your hat but to see the excitement of each persons adventure

corey.mcentyre
07-30-2008, 11:19 AM
I really enjoyed hiking with Charlie and Brad on my first STP. They both made it such an enjoyable experience that I have already decided to return in 2009 (despite the surprise sunburn and aching legs!). Charlie, I'm still doing stairs at the house VERY slowly .. especially going down. Take care and hope to see you again next year.

Charlie
07-30-2008, 08:10 PM
I really enjoyed hiking with Charlie and Brad on my first STP. They both made it such an enjoyable experience that I have already decided to return in 2009 (despite the surprise sunburn and aching legs!). Charlie, I'm still doing stairs at the house VERY slowly .. especially going down. Take care and hope to see you again next year.

working in a 3 story building im up and down and my legs still are aching :eek:

mtruman
08-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Great accomplishment Charlie! It was great meeting you on the trail and hiking part way up Lions Head with you. Getting to the top is never should be the ultimate goal - it should be getting out there and having a wonderful experience every time you hike. You succeeded perfectly in that! Hope to see you again next year.