PDA

View Full Version : Flags on the 48

Tim&Val
08-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi All!

As STP comes to a close for 2008, we have to ask... what's next?

Saturday, Sept 13 is FLAGS ON THE 48! For those of you who haven't heard about it, it's a memorial hike to commemorate 9/11. It happens every year on the Saturday closest to 9/11.

Individuals or teams carry US flags to the top of all 48 high peaks in NH, and they all fly on the summits from about 11am to 2pm. We haven't ever carried the flag, but we come out to support the people who do. We have our "pack-sized" flags that we used for STP. :)

From the web site, it appears that they have someone designated to carry the flag to almost every peak already... Flags On the 48 (http://www.flagsonthe48.org)

Once at the top, each person can take as long as they need to pray/reflect/commemorate.

Tim and I will be doing it again this year. If anyone would like to join us, please let us know! We don't even have a preference of summits. We've done Eisenhower and Moosilauke over the past two years for this event. I've always wanted to do Liberty. It seems so fitting, but I think it sees an OVER-ABUNDANCE of hikers on that day.

Here are the links to the last two years...

Eisenhower in 2006 (http://www.barkeater.ws/NH48/images/MtEisenhower/20060909/MtEisenhowerSep06Frames.htm)

Moosilauke in 2007 (http://www.barkeater.ws/NH48/images/MtMoosilauke/20070908/MtMoosilaukeFrames.htm)

We will be hiking either way. Please let us know if you're interested in getting a group together!

Valerie

Rich
08-01-2008, 07:30 PM
That would be pretty cool to have a "MWO forum group hike".

Caffeine Addict
08-01-2008, 10:17 PM
ill second that rich who else thinks this is a good idea?

BlueDog
08-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Val got me thinking about coming back up from VA for this one, I've got it penciled in. MWO forum group hike would be cool!

Charlie
08-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Val got me thinking about coming back up from VA for this one, I've got it penciled in. MWO forum group hike would be cool!

me to if i can get off work i will do it

so start picking a nice hike [ not to hard :D ] so we can make arrangements for a place to stay ,unless we can all stay at tim and val's :eek::eek::D:D:D lol

Tim&Val
08-02-2008, 07:27 AM
...unless we can all stay at tim and val's :eek::eek::D:D:D lol

As much as that sounds like fun, our house is very, very tiny!

You're welcome to set up a tent in the yard, but it's first-come first-served on the flat spots! HAHAHAHA

V

Charlie
08-02-2008, 10:32 AM
As much as that sounds like fun, our house is very, very tiny!

You're welcome to set up a tent in the yard, but it's first-come first-served on the flat spots! HAHAHAHA

V

thanks for the tent offer but i like a bed ,pool and hot tub so it will be a hotel

i know what its like with a small house if you dont need all the room why heat or AC or clean it :D

but i do like the idea about the group hike :)

mtruman
08-02-2008, 12:07 PM
A "forum hike" would be great! Not sure yet about availability that weekend but I think there's a good chance we could make it. We'll stay tuned in to the plans if they develop...

Brad
08-02-2008, 12:50 PM
I will have to pass on this one. I will be in Maine that weekend but I have a Board of Trustees meeting for a foundation I am on that Saturday. Have a great time though.

The Dock Party will be the next day though! This is where we take the docks out for the winter.

Charlie
08-02-2008, 02:10 PM
The Dock Party will be the next day though! This is where we take the docks out for the winter.

what a good way to end a week end with a dock party at brads ;)

wait that is work to do that :eek:

rockin rex
08-02-2008, 04:22 PM
What an awesome idea!!! My thought is what about Bond and an overnight at Guyot campsite and back out on Sun. Staying at Guyot would allow the group to just get to Bond and really sit and soak in the full reason of why there are 48 flags flying from each summit. No reason to rush off the summit on Flag day. You could see many flags flying when sitting on Bond. If the forum hike is put together count me in no matter what summit is decided on.

Brad
08-02-2008, 09:26 PM
what a good way to end a week end with a dock party at brads ;)

wait that is work to do that :eek:
Well, there are 12 dock sections. Each is all wood and 8 feet by 5 feet. Can you spell heavy? Oh, and we do the neighbor's dock and probably will do my son's also.

Charlie
08-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Well, there are 12 dock sections. Each is all wood and 8 feet by 5 feet. Can you spell heavy? Oh, and we do the neighbor's dock and probably will do my son's also.

you know if you need help im there for you

Brad
08-03-2008, 07:11 AM
you know if you need help im there for you
Charlie, I knew I could count on you and Steve. Both of you will have your feet up and will be watching on the web camera.

Caffeine Addict
08-03-2008, 07:28 AM
brad what part of maine are you in again ?

TrishandAlex
08-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Hey, Alex and I would love to be a part of this. We'll definitely do a summit that weekend and will do our best to be up there while the flag's a flyin'. If there's a forum get-together or party somewhere, is it possible for us to come and say "hi?" I know we're brand-new, but it would be really nice to meet some of you in person. And of course if we can contribute in some way pelase let us know.

Brad
08-03-2008, 08:14 AM
brad what part of maine are you in again ?
We are in Bridgton - just east of you off route 302 after you go through Fryeburg.

Charlie
08-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Hey, Alex and I would love to be a part of this. We'll definitely do a summit that weekend and will do our best to be up there while the flag's a flyin'. If there's a forum get-together or party somewhere, is it possible for us to come and say "hi?" I know we're brand-new, but it would be really nice to meet some of you in person. And of course if we can contribute in some way pelase let us know.

that would be good to say hi to you to so if plans are made join in

Charlie
08-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Charlie, I knew I could count on you and Steve. Both of you will have your feet up and will be watching on the web camera.

ya but it would be better if steve and my self sat on your beck to watch :D

hay then steve and i will do all the cooking for ya right steve :D

Steve M
08-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Sure, that would be great. I wish I could be there. Unfortunately the only way I will be part of it is looking through my cyber window. Some day I will be close enough to play in the reindeer games.:)

Steve M
08-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I Think I'm Suffering From Post White Mountain Depression.:(

mtruman
08-03-2008, 03:11 PM

Me too - and we've only been home 2 days (and only live 3-4 hours away). I really feel for you Steve. Has to be torture to be so far away. Keep living vicariously through the trip reports and pics here and your next trip to NH will be here before you know it...

Brad
08-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I am about to send a letter to my oldest grandson (he is at summer camp for the last week coming up) to see if he wants to do Lions Head and then the Headwall with me on August 17th. We did Ammo - Jewell 2 years ago. It is time for us to do the east side. Then I am starting to gather folks to do it again over Labor Day weekend. We just need some good weather.

My wife is taking friends up on the Cog over Columbus Day weekend (several have a hard time walking on flat ground). I was thinking of hiking that day, but it is getting a bit late and iffy on the weather. Will probably do the Cog with them.

Got to have my MW fix.

Steve M
08-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Got to have my MW fix.

Yea, well, don't rub it in.:mad::)

Rich
08-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Next time you're up, right before you head home, pick up a few cases of this (http://www.tuckermanbrewing.com/) and the depression is much easier!

"Hi, my name is Rich and I'm a whitemountainholic."

"Hi Rich"

BlueDog
08-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Interesting that on the FlagsOverthe48 site, noone has signed up for MW yet.

KD Talbot
08-04-2008, 09:07 PM
They actually leave MW, Cannon and Wildcat to folks that can't hike, as in disabled folks, as each of these peaks has mechanical means to reach the summit.

KDT

Steve M
08-04-2008, 09:38 PM
They actually leave MW, Cannon and Wildcat to folks that can't hike, as in disabled folks, as each of these peaks has mechanical means to reach the summit.

KDT

That is mighty "White" of them.

KD Talbot
08-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Seems I should know who this is... Anyone? :)

KDT

Brad
08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Seems I should know who this is... Anyone? :)

KDT
Our esteemed chef of the STP week from Florida. He changed his name to protect the innocent.

rockin rex
08-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Wow I learned what I have been suffering from. P.W.M.D. I even know how to cure it but only problem is I can't get my hands on any Tucks 6288 stout.
I think we might need to start a support group for this. Hi my name is Rex and I suffer from P.W.M.D.

mtruman
08-05-2008, 10:18 AM
We brought a couple of six packs of Tuckerman's IPA back for just this purpose but it isn't quite doing the job. Need - to - get - back - to - the - mountains.

BlueDog
08-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Rex... Pssssst.... Don't tell anyone, but I was able to score some 6288 on my way out of town. 8 bottle are sitting in my fridge right now. (Along with some Headwall Alt and a growler of Moat's weiss!) Had to stop in several package stores. One said that they stopped carrying it because people would switch the bottles around into the cheaper Tucks package.

Rich
08-05-2008, 01:39 PM
What if we do Cannon? That way our forum friends that can't hike for what ever reason can ride up if they want to participate. Perhaps, Kinsman Ridge trail from the tram? A nice steady climb, and the easiest way to the summit... not counting the tram car.

Once this is decided, then discuss the beer.

(psssst- I have 3 cases of Tuckermans sitting in my basement. Like I said, hit the NH liquor store before you leave the state!)

Acrophobe
08-05-2008, 01:54 PM
I've never climbed Cannon, either. :)

Brad
08-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I remember doing it as a kid - 5,000 switchbacks.

mtruman
08-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Cannon was the first 4k that we ever did (via Kinsman Ridge). We took the easy way and took the tram down so it's not on my official 4k list yet. I'd love to do it again.

Tim&Val
08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
What if we do Cannon? That way our forum friends that can't hike for what ever reason can ride up if they want to participate. Perhaps, Kinsman Ridge trail from the tram? A nice steady climb, and the easiest way to the summit... not counting the tram car.

Cannon hadn't been on my radar. If that's the group consensus, then we're good with it!

If the weather is clear (*disclaimer: see our very cloudy pics from the last two years) we should be able to see the flags on Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty and perhaps N&S Kinsman and Moosilauke. That would be great!

Also, for those that wanted to make more of a trip out of it, there are paths up Cannon that could be multi-day, overnight or day trips.

You guys talked about Kinsman Ridge Trail from the tram. That is probably not my preferred route to the top. I'd be more likely to go up via Lonesome Lake or else spend the night at Kinsman Shelter, then go over the Cannon-balls or something similar. I'm not into that 1800-feet-in-1.5-miles walking. Uuuugh!!

For those who wanted even more challenge (i.e. Rex!!), the trail from Rt 112 offers some overnight options at Eliza Brook and also Kinsman Pond.

Maybe we will end up in sub-groups who meet at the summit for the flag-raising. I'm open to ideas. Let us know what you think!

Valerie

Steve M
08-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Wow I learned what I have been suffering from. P.W.M.D. I even know how to cure it but only problem is I can't get my hands on any Tucks 6288 stout.
I think we might need to start a support group for this. Hi my name is Rex and I suffer from P.W.M.D.

I am with you! All I could find down here is some Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. It is the closest thing to the Whites so I downed a six pack and it helped but the depression is back again.:(

Steve M
08-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I've never climbed Cannon, either. :)

There are a few cannon's in St. Augustine I guess I could climb...Maybe put a flag in them?.:)

Acrophobe
08-05-2008, 10:45 PM
What trail would you take up? :)

Brad
08-06-2008, 06:39 AM
There are a few cannon's in St. Augustine I guess I could climb...Maybe put a flag in them?.:)
The Hat and I stopped in there to check out those cannon last March.

http://images36.fotki.com/v1157/photos/8/8235/6069103/CRW_1484a-vi.jpg

Tim&Val
08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
What trail would you take up? :)

We've climbed Cannon twice...

The first time, in summer, we did Lonesome Lake Trail to the Kinsman Ridge Trail, and then back down via Hi-Cannon Trail. This was a beautiful loop.

The next time, in winter, we did Lonesome Lake Trail to the Kinsman Ridge Trail, then came back the same way. We didn't take Hi-Cannon in the winter due to the chance of running into ice on some of the ledges. Also, I like having the LL Hut as a bail-out in the winter, if we need to warm up for a few minutes.

If we had the opportunity to do an overnight, I would take the Fishin' Jimmy trail up to Kinsman Pond. I would stay there, then go over Kinsman Ridge Trail to Cannon the next morning.

In all these cases, we'd be coming at Cannon from the opposite direction than if we hiked up straight from the parking lot at the Tram.

This is just me. I prefer the scenic route where I can breathe a little easier. :)

Valerie

mtruman
08-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Not sure where the whole "forum hike" plan stands at this point but it appears that I won't be able to make it. Found out that my wife and daughter are going to be away that weekend and I signed up for a weekend trip with our local AMC chapter which gave me a good option for lodging for one and a way to extend the weekend. The good news is that I'll be doing a 4k for Flags on the 48 as the Saturday hike is Webster/Jackson. If the weather is good I'm going to try to arrive early on Friday and get in a solo hike somewhere. Sorry to miss the group hike if it is still going to be Cannon. If anyone else is going to be in the Webster/Jackson or Crawford Notch area perhaps we'll run into each other.

Rich
08-13-2008, 09:40 AM
So, where do we stand on FOT48?

Tim&Val
08-13-2008, 09:22 PM
We're still good to go. We don't have a preference of mountains.

How about a role call of who's planning to attend?

Valerie

TrishandAlex
08-14-2008, 07:46 AM
We're definitely hiking that Sat., but I don't know which mountain yet. We may be on Waumbek or perhaps Garfield. Or Willey.

Rich
08-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Bumping this thread back to the top...

Who's going?

BlueDog
08-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm still interested, but haven't been able to solidify the plans yet. I'm working on it. :)

Rich
09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Bump this to the top or bury it deep?

BlueDog
09-02-2008, 04:25 PM
90% sure I'll be coming up to hike with Tim&Val.

So... If I can make it all the way from Virginia for this hike.. surely some other MWOF'ers more local can make it! <Poke. Prod.> :)

As far as what mountain, summit, trail goes, I'm leaving that in Val's hands.

mtruman
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm still going to be there for the weekend but will be doing Webster and Jackson with our local AMC group on Saturday. Logistics just fell out this way. If the forum hikers are still making a decision on location you could certainly join us there. I'd love to see everyone again. I'm also going to be heading up early on Friday to get in an extra hike (unsure location yet but probably looking to knock off another 4K - maybe Avalon/Tom/Field since I'm staying at Highland Center). If anyone is interested in a Friday hike I'm open to suggestions.

TrishandAlex
09-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Turns out husband has to go out of town again, so we three girls will take the tram up to Cannon. This way we can still be a part of it and I'm not overtaxing myself with Sage.

Rich
09-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm still going to be there for the weekend but will be doing Webster and Jackson with our local AMC group on Saturday. Logistics just fell out this way. If the forum hikers are still making a decision on location you could certainly join us there. I'd love to see everyone again. I'm also going to be heading up early on Friday to get in an extra hike (unsure location yet but probably looking to knock off another 4K - maybe Avalon/Tom/Field since I'm staying at Highland Center). If anyone is interested in a Friday hike I'm open to suggestions.

Maybe I'll do Web/Jack with you. I'm a AMC member.

Tim&Val
09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Once the "role call" came up lean, I had kind-of just decided to let everyone hike their own hike. As long as everyone finds a mountain that fits their needs, and takes a moment to commemorate 9/11, then the purpose is served.

As BlueDog mentioned, he and Tim & I will be hiking for certain. Summit TBD.

It sounds like we'll have some representation on a few different summits. How about if we all report back afterwards?

Valerie

TrishandAlex
09-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Turns out dh is back Friday night, so Alex and I will hike a peak this Sat after all. We're thinking of Liberty or Jackson, but still haven't decided for sure. Think Alex is leaning toward Liberty, I'll give her the final decision. I know mtruman will be on Jackson, so if we do that one we'll see you there.

TrishandAlex
09-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Alex has spoken -- she's decided on Jackson this weekend. I think that's the wisest option -- Liberty may need to wait until next year, I think it would be at the limit of both our endurance this year.

See you there, Mark!

BlueDog
09-12-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm on my way up for the hike. Currently resting in Sturbridge from a long nights drive. Looking forward to meeting up with Tim&Val and doing the hike tomorrow. Since I came all this way, can the folks up on MW do whatever they did the day of STP to make the bad weather go away?

BlueDog
09-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Hope a few others got out today... the rest of you missed an INCREDIBLE hiking day today! Tim&Val and I hit the Falling Water trail up to Little Haystack, over to Lincoln, up to Lafayette, then down to the hut and down agony ridge. Report and plenty of pictures to come later.

TrishandAlex
09-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Alex and I did Jackson and had the pleasure of meeting Mark. Trip report to come later today or tomorrow.

mtruman
09-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Got back early as we got rained out today. Not a big disappointment though as it was a fantastic day yesterday. Webster and Jackson were just awesome and it was great getting to the top of Jackson and finding Trish and Alex there (since I wasn't expecting any familiar faces). Sounds like Tim, Val and Erich had a great hike on Franconia Ridge as well. Looking forward to seeing everyone's TRs and pics. Hope to have mine up tonight or tomorrow.

Tim&Val
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM
We had a great time on Franconia Ridge! There were a LOT of people up there. Still, on a day like FOT48, we enjoy the cameraderie of the crowds. Everyone was very friendly and talkative. We had a great time with Erich and I'll get some pics up shortly!

Valerie