PDA

View Full Version : Moat Mountain Brewery

rockin rex
08-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Just want to throw this out there and see what other Seek The Peakers think. I am thinking of getting in touch with Moat Mountain Brewery in North Conway and seeing if maybe they will do a Seek The Peak beer to come out in July. A portion of the proceeds could go to the Mountain Washington observatory. Every time I come to the Whites I stop at Moats. This is my favorite place and I think their beer and food is just incredible!! I actually brought a growler of the brown bear to the turkey dinner. Blue Dog actually has a growler he took home with him. I am wondering if you guys think this might be a good way to promote Seek The Peak and raise money for the Obs. We could even then have Seek The Peak beer at the turkey dinner. Not sure if this would work or not but just a thought.

Brad
08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Being that I do not drink, I can not comment on the beer itself. But, any opportunity to support STP and MWO is a great idea.

However, brewing beer in a moat has an odd "ring" to it.

Rich
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
All they would really have to do is change the name of one of their current brews to "Seek the Peak". They could do this by calling it a seasonal brew.

I like the idea!

mtruman
08-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Great idea! Could try the same approach with Tuckerman's Brewery as well since they are even more associated (at least in name) with Mt Washington and done some of the theme named brews already. Either way, can't go wrong.

Mike D
08-06-2008, 01:24 PM
The Tuckerman Brewery created the 6288 Stout in collaboration with the Observatory. Perhaps they would be interested in brewing an STP-themed beer.

Brad
08-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Mike, you are supposed to be getting those cameras ready to be turned on! Are they all ready? You can think about beer later. :)

BlueDog
08-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Rex.... I think this might be the most brilliant idea I've heard from you yet! :)

(I'm actually using the Flags Over the 48 hike as an excuse to go get a refill!)

Mike, its great that Tucks supports the Obs with the 6288 (and I did bring some of that home too) but apparently there was some issue with getting it at the after party? Either way, anything local > Budweiser/Miller/water!

Mike D
08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Yes Brad, please join me up at the top of a 40 foot steel tower during rain with the threat of thunderstorms. Nope, I'd rather be kicking back with a, um, lemonade, and do the legwork; writing scripts and fabricating mounts, etc.

Naturally, we do not operate power tools under the influence of the aforementioned lemonade.

Mike, you are supposed to be getting those cameras ready to be turned on! Are they all ready? You can think about beer later. :)

Brad
08-06-2008, 04:36 PM
We will all raise out glasses of cold ones when those cameras are up and mounted and you are safe back inside.

faegilr
08-06-2008, 07:18 PM
I know my boyfriend would support this :) We stayed at Moat Mountain during STP and it was an all around lovely visit.

fifteendays
08-07-2008, 12:34 AM
I know my boyfriend would support this :) We stayed at Moat Mountain during STP and it was an all around lovely visit.

That's the beautiful thing about the Moat-- you can stay overnight there! How many brew pubs can you say that about? (I assume that reservations are required-- you can't just crawl upstairs and find a bed...)

I must add that Kirsten and Nik at Tuckerman Brewing have been tremendous fans and supporters. Who knows, they may be open to the STP idea. Having us on the 6288 label and offering us a potion of the proceeds was entirely their idea.

I'm bummed that 6288 Stout was not available for STP this year. I haven't heard exactly why, but I do know that it disappeared from Hannaford a couple of weeks ago. It was a small first batch-- maybe it's all gone until this fall?

Rumor has it that the winter edition of Windswept will have a story about them and a recipe that includes 6288. Besides drinking my share, I've made a couple of really good beef stews with it...

Scot
MWO Staff

Steve M
08-07-2008, 06:50 AM
If we do get an STP beer brewed for the event I would suggest not using an orange label...I think it would clash with the brown bottle.:)

mtruman
08-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Rumor has it that the winter edition of Windswept will have a story about them and a recipe that includes 6288. Besides drinking my share, I've made a couple of really good beef stews with it...

Beef stew with 6288. Mmmmmmm. Maybe that should be on the menu with the dinner next year - or better yet, a bowl for lunch at the OBS would be a great way to prepare for the hike down.

Rich
08-07-2008, 09:32 AM
If we do get an STP beer brewed for the event I would suggest not using an orange label...I think it would clash with the brown bottle.:)

Steve...dull orange and brown are earthtones. They would look good together.

Steve M
08-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Steve...dull orange and brown are earthtones. They would look good together.

OK...It's not the outside that matters anyway, it's what's on the inside counts!:)

MeridenFF
08-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I so agree. GGG and I had the opportunity to try a few of their beers. OK we had the sampler of everyone that they made and I too had to bring a Growler home. We could change STP from Seek the Peak to Sip the Pint!

Steve M
08-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Sip the pint on the way to the top and the one who actually makes it to the top is the winner!

Great Guinness Ghost
08-18-2008, 07:51 PM
How 'bout next year we stay and sample at the Moat, meanwhile we strap a bandana-cam on ,Blue Dog,Rockin' Rex or some other mountain goat willing to volunteer for this duty. Then we can get a live satellite feed back to the bar where we can give him all the support we can muster! Or her, ladies welcome of course.

MeridenFF
08-18-2008, 08:53 PM
I agree. This would make it very easy for me to get away from carrying beer to the top next year. I will make the statement now that next year GGG will be the carrier of the beer! Also with that said. Sorry Rockin Rex if I knew you would meet us at the summit I would have packed another one for you. See you at the summit next year. Kevin (meridenff)

BlueDog
08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
GGG, I was beginning to wonder if you were lost on the mountain or some thing.. I mean 17 posts go by talking about beer and you were nowhere to be seen!

MeridenFF
08-19-2008, 04:13 PM
I know that I have been extremely busy since STP so I haven't been able to get online as much as I would love too. Now that my summer events have come slowed down I can return to the site myself but there was no way I could pass up from remarking on something that has beer involved in it. Bluedog, I just want to know if you are implying that GGG likes to drink beer or something? Where would you get that idea?

Great Guinness Ghost
08-20-2008, 06:13 AM
GGG, I was beginning to wonder if you were lost on the mountain or some thing.. I mean 17 posts go by talking about beer and you were nowhere to be seen!

Thanks for the concern but fear not my friend I'm still around. I had some problems with logging in (no,don't blame the beer) but it's all better now.

Steve M
08-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Look Sandy, the gangs back together again! :D

BlueDog
08-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the concern but fear not my friend I'm still around. I had some problems with logging in (no,don't blame the beer) but it's all better now.

Phew! :P

</puts the beer tracking dogs back in their kennels>

MeridenFF
08-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Don't GGG Lie to all of you. The only log in problem he was having was getting his hand off the beer he was holding to hit the keys on the computer.

Great Guinness Ghost
08-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Don't GGG Lie to all of you. The only log in problem he was having was getting his hand off the beer he was holding to hit the keys on the computer.

At least I didn't spill it on the keys!!