Charlie
08-12-2008, 08:05 PM
what state is it better to live in for

cheaper taxes

cheaper cost for a houses

cheaper cost of living

and just a better place to live

Vermont , New Hampshire ,or Maine

i still need to do a lot of home work and would love to move up to 1 of the 3 some day :D

KD Talbot
08-12-2008, 08:22 PM
What you're looking for doesn't exist in the Northeast. :)

KDT

KathyC
08-12-2008, 08:27 PM
I'd love to leave NJ and move to NH, that is my dream one day.

Charlie
08-12-2008, 08:37 PM

KDT

ok but i still want to move and not sure witch state yet :confused:

Brad
08-12-2008, 08:50 PM
The states are different but their economies are quite similar. NH does not have sales tax or income tax. It has to get income from other sources and if those sources apply to you, you could get hit hard. If not, NH could be a good deal.

Property taxes will vary greatly depending on in town, farm land, on a nice lake, great mountain views. How property is assessed will vary by state. From what I have seen Maine is highest and best use. I have heard NH adds to assessed value if you have a good view. If the property is on a nice lake, the taxes will be high. I am sure you can find nice property in any of the states that is reasonable.

I have always said - VT has rolling hills and wide valleys with a dairy farm in the valley. NH has pointed mountain tops and steep valleys with a river roaring through it. Maine does not have mountains (except for the big K).

Steve M
08-12-2008, 09:11 PM
what state is it better to live in for

cheaper taxes

cheaper cost for a houses

cheaper cost of living

and just a better place to live

Vermont , New Hampshire ,or Maine

i still need to do a lot of home work and would love to move up to 1 of the 3 some day :D

I think Florida satisfies the first three on your list but definitely not the last two.

mtruman
08-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Definitely depends on what you want. If you live where Brad does you get pretty close to 2 for the price of one (NH and ME). My problem is that for Maine I like the coast and that puts me too far from the NH mountains. Acadia has mountains (small but beautiful) but it's way too expensive to live there. Northern Maine is cheap (at least by current standards) but there's nothing there but potatoes and moose. Way too many choices. I'm with you though - need to go north (even though we're only a few hours away now). Maine or NH are probably our choices for retirement (if I can wait that long).

KD Talbot
08-13-2008, 06:11 AM
"Maine does not have mountains (except for the big K)." ?????

I guess Brad hasn't seen much of Maine. :) Maine has 14 4000 Footers and hundreds of smaller peaks from Evans Notch north to Baxter State Park, not including the eastern half of the state. They may not measure up to MW, but there are mountains all over Maine, and the Katahdin Range is equally as impressive as the Northern Presidentials if not more so merely for its remote, wilderness setting.

KDT

rockin rex
08-13-2008, 06:29 AM
I know the worst state to live in. New Jersey. They say the overall best place to live is Arizona but just not for me. New England to me is the best hands down. Best people, best sports teams, best food, best weather. I will leave New Jersey one day and move to New England. Gorham is looking very inviting. Nothing like a town having a hiker on their elementary school sign. It also helps that it is an A.T. trail town. Looked at some home prices there also and they seemed very reasonable.

TrishandAlex
08-13-2008, 07:27 AM
NH. We live there almost half the week, and I would love to live there fulltime. My husband works near Boston but I want to live up in the Whites, so we bought a very, very small house/cabin and live there 3ish days a week (our MA home is tiny too, prices here are so ridiculous).

I would sell off everything here in MA (where I'm now writing) and just stay in NH in a heartbeat. I never want to come back to MA when we have to.

Brad
08-13-2008, 08:24 AM
When on vacation in Maine in 1988 we found a lot on the lake across from where we were staying. Bought it - designed our log cabin and moved in Labor Day 1991. It was to be our weekend, vacation, to become our retirement home.

On the way back to NY after a wonderful first Christmas in the cabin (with almost no furniture) we realized we liked the cabin so much we sold the house in NY and moved to Maine. Since then we have had a small townhouse by work and our real home is in Maine. The weekend in Maine started as 2 days - then 3 days. The normal routine from NY was drive north Thursday after work - Friday was work at home - Sat & Sunday in Maine - then drive to NY starting at 12:30 AM Monday morning. So, where I was Monday night did not matter but happened to be by work. Tuesday and Weds we were in the place by work. The rest of the time we were in Maine. It was a great schedule till my work moved to NC.

donnellyvj
08-13-2008, 10:36 AM

KDT

This was funny yet very true. Thats why I had to move from VT to RI. Needed work.

donnellyvj
08-13-2008, 10:37 AM
This was funny yet very true. Thats why I had to move from VT to RI. Needed work. I loved living in VT.

wcummings
08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Living in NH is fun, personally I love it. I live down in the southern part of NH, in Goffstown. I moved here from Connecticut, but have also lived out west in Arizona for a bit. For the most part people are friendly. I have convenient access to civilization, such as: Grocery Store, Big-Box Stores, the mall etc... At the same time I can easily get away to the woods (state parks, white mountains) with a quick drive. I kind of feel like the woods are my back yard with that short drive. Remember though, that it snows up here, and we get pounded (at least if it's like last winter). This can be a good or bad thing depending on who you are. I like to snowboard, so I consider it a good thing.

Also, the mentality up here is very much reflective of the State Motto: "Live Free or Die." That's why there's a lack of taxes, no seatbelt law(if you're over 18), no cell phone while driving law. Many laws aren't attempted that restrict personal freedoms as they conflict with the state motto and way of thinking. One of the biggest controversies recently was putting a speed limit on Lake Winnepesaukie.

As for work, I suppose that depends what you do, or are looking to do. I work in Higher Ed. and personally love it.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

KathyC
08-13-2008, 07:05 PM
I know the worst state to live in. New Jersey. They say the overall best place to live is Arizona but just not for me. New England to me is the best hands down. Best people, best sports teams, best food, best weather. I will leave New Jersey one day and move to New England. Gorham is looking very inviting. Nothing like a town having a hiker on their elementary school sign. It also helps that it is an A.T. trail town. Looked at some home prices there also and they seemed very reasonable.

I don't think that NJ is the worst state to live in, I've lived here all of my life and do like it. It's not all parkway and smelly turnpike that most think, though I do work in a chemical plant, LOL. And we have really Great shore lines, especially south like Wildwood and Cape May. And I totally disagree on the best sports team, I love my Yankees!!

But I'm a country girl at heart, I would love to out to somewhere with a slower pace, lots of trees and wildlife. I've vacationed many time in NH and am in total Love with it, it's such a relaxed and peaceful feeling when I'm there. In the early 90's I almost bought a condo or house up there, but was talked out of it by my Mom and Dad because of the distance, if only....

My Big Dream is to have a bed and breakfast in the Whites and the most important topic of the day would be the weather on Mt. Washington... :)

Charlie
08-13-2008, 07:15 PM
"rockin rex

I know the worst state to live in. New Jersey. They say the overall best place to live is Arizona but just not for me. New England to me is the best hands down. Best people, best sports teams, best food, best weather."

your right to hot in arizona for me

"donnellyvj
This was funny yet very true. Thats why I had to move from VT to RI. Needed work."

well work should not be the problem as long as me or my wife have a job with insurance

"wcummings
no cell phone while driving law."

this is funny i see more people on phones in states that do not allow it :D
i would like to be a little bit away from things but the wife wants to be close to stores and a hospital i say if i die in the country thats fine better then in the hospital :D

thanks for all your ideas

Tim&Val
08-13-2008, 09:40 PM
We moved from Wilmington, DE to Ashland, NH in 2005. It was like night-and-day difference. I used to drive on I-95 to work each morning in 5 lanes of 70mph traffic. Now, we live in a town that doesn't even have a stop light.

There is definitely a mentality that comes with the state motto. There is quite a difference between NH and VT when it comes to "culture".

If you want to understand folks from NH, read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Know-Youre-Hampshire-When-Quintessential/dp/0762738138

Tim bought it for me when we moved here.

Valerie

P.S. "No cell phone while driving" is irrelevant if there's no signal. :D Before we moved here, I couldn't imagine not using it. Now, I only turn it on when I'm traveling back to civilization on business (which I dislike intensely).

hobbes
08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Having lived in Joisey for 5 years (exit 8), I can say with certainty that residing in NH is leaps & bounds nicer, at least in the Mount Washington Valley. Jersey does have its (nice) places, but the frame of mind just doesn't compare.

Living in Maine (& shopping in NH) is probably ideal for someone that is retired as overall the taxes may work out to your advantage. Also, if you are an entrepreneur, Maine has some wonderful grants for smal businesses. And don't forget the coast...

NH's frame of mind is hard to beat. Even going a few miles down the road into Maine, you sense a difference (of course, Mainer's probably say the same thing). The combination, density, and easy access to lakes, mountains, skiing, ... in the MWV region is also hard to find elsewhere.

Vermont is too far from the coast for me, but would likely appeal to anyone seeking to live in the country as well.

Bottom line, pick a place, move, then explore the region and see what you lke best. Best decision I ever made (disclaimer: wife said that it is "one of" the best decisions I ever made).

donnellyvj
08-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Charlie. Do you have one state that you would lean towards?

Charlie
08-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Charlie. Do you have one state that you would lean towards?

new Hampshire would first

i would stay away from a tourist area i live close to one now and i stay away from it . i dont want to live so far from things although i could live like grizzle Adams did :D

i like the idea about renting first thanks

spyboy
08-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Well, I'm a Jersey boy originally (until after college) who's lived in all 3 of the states you're looking at.

Where in each of those states does make a difference though.

I lived in Handcock, VT just north of Rochester on Route 101, it was a very small town). I then moved north of Granville Gulf to Moretown (north of Waitsfield). This put me 5 minutes from Sugarbush, which was great.

Then it was Huntington for a month or so (staying with a friend) until I found an apartment in South Burlington. SB was the "big city" but had a lot more to offer (if you enjoy going out to eat, seeing bands, etc). But I haven't been back there in about 10 years. I was working at IBM, so my commute was about 10 minutes, which was great..get out of work, drive home, and either get on my mountain bike and ride down to the lake or throw the kayak on the roof and go downtown on the water and paddle until sunset. I miss those days.

In New Hampshire, I lived in Gilmanton, which is another tiny town, and drove 55 miles one way to work in Salem. I did that for about 8 months until I couldn't stand it anymore then moved to Manchester to be closer to work.

[that was only 2 months, then I moved to Austin, TX which is just like Burlington but hotter, much hotter]

I then lived in Rockport, Maine for a few years. I taught snowboarding and did freelance web design work. Living on the coast was great, but it is very isolated in Maine, because it's a haul just to get back to NH (2 hours to the NH border from Rockport). But if you love the ocean (I do) it's a terrific place, with lots of coves to explore by sea kayak (hey, that's my opinion!)

I'm back in NH now, was in Manchester for 2 years, now I live in New Hampton. It's a small town, and gets crowded in the summer with tourists but I like the quieter lifestyle.

I guess I'm lucky because I work out of the house, so I can pretty much live anywhere.

Internet service and cell reception isn't as good up in New Hampton as it was in Manchester.

Property taxes are higher in NH, but without income tax or sales tax, I think it's not a big deal because you're not losing a high percentage of your income to state tax like other states, and average property taxes are about $4000-6000 for a 1500-2000 sq ft home (of course that varies depending on the towns). If you're paying income tax you're probably losing more than $6k/year of income to that. (if you're retired and on fixed income, then it might be harder to justify living in NH)

Of the 3, I enjoy NH the most, but I always have, even when my family used to camp up here 30 years ago. I think it's because NH has the most diversified terrain. Rolling hills in the south, the rocky coast with and beaches on our tiny 10 mile stretch of ocean. The Lakes Region, where I live now, has plenty of lakes and towns that are very different in flavor from one another. The White Mountains region with MW and all the other peaks and little towns nestled in the valleys. Even the Great North Woods, a definite haul from anywhere, but Moose Alley, the Connecticut Lakes and just being in a remote section of NH makes a weekend trip up there worthwhile.

I lucked out too, because my parents retired to Rockport, so I have a place to visit (I'm actually here right now, spent a week taking photography classes).

Now, if I can just convince my brother to move to Vermont, I'd be set, I could enjoy all 3 equally :)

Kirk