PDA

View Full Version : Hike 8/17/2008

Brad
08-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Is anyone going to be going up MW on Sunday? I will be doing it with Corey (friend from NC who came up for STP wants to do it again) and his son. Our plan is to do Lions Head - summit - Headwall - Tuckermans. Anyone else going to be there?

KD Talbot
08-13-2008, 05:55 PM
The volunteer cookout is that afternoon. We have a cookout, check out the Auto Road Museum, then drive to the summit for a tour of the Obs, then watch the sunset. If any of you would be interested in joining me and the rest of the volunteers after your hike for this PM me. I would be glad to bring you and your friends/family as guests.

KDT

Charlie
08-13-2008, 06:52 PM
sure brad and corey rub it in a little :D

have a safe trip

Brad
08-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Wow that would be fun - BUT. hike up - hike down - drive up -drive down - then leave at 2AM to drive to NC. I think we will have to pass on the invitation.

Brad
08-13-2008, 08:13 PM

have a safe trip
And the weather looks aweome.

Corey's son got his first look at MW today from the top of Wildcat - and then as he was coming down the zip line. He wants to do the hike but sees that it is not going to be easy. He should do well.

Brad
08-18-2008, 09:59 PM

have a safe trip
We did it! My son, Corey, his son and I went the same route we did for sTP - up Lions Head and down the headwall. We made sure we got a full round of pictures on "Charlie's Rock" looking out over Wildcat.

The mountains were so blue it was great. As we headed to the top of Lions Head the wind picked up and the temp went down fast. At the top of lions Head the clouds dropped lower and cut visibility a bit, but it was still easy to see the trail.

When we walked in the Weather Room I was completely surprised to see Jim Salge there. He gave us the complete tour. He said we were having 50 MPH winds and wind chill was 33. After the tour we got the summit sign pictures and headed down the Headwall.

It is always surprising to see folks heading up mid to late afternoon. Not too sure how far they thought they were going that day.

Then we were up at 2:00 AM and drove to NC - which is where I am now. Quite a weekend.

Hike pictures are at http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/hikes/2008-hikes/2008-08-17-macentyres/

Steve M
08-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Looks like you had a great day! No wonder it's lonely around the forums on the weekend...everyone is out hiking!:)

Brad
08-19-2008, 05:26 AM
I corrected the URL to be http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/hikes/2008-hikes/2008-08-17-mcentyres/

TrishandAlex
08-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Brad, it looks like you had a fantastic day. Sounds like a fun trip!!

Brad
08-19-2008, 11:11 AM
We did not have a lot of sun - but our faces were still radiating a lot of heat after the hike and through the evening.

Steve M
08-19-2008, 05:59 PM
We did not have a lot of sun - but our faces were still radiating a lot of heat after the hike and through the evening.

It was the joy of being on Mt Washington for the day!:)