PDA

View Full Version : Pre STP 2009 Hike

MeridenFF
08-22-2008, 10:33 AM
This past June GGG and myself spent a night at Lakes and it was a great Pre STP hike. I am looking ahead at next year already and looking for input for another pre hike. I enjoyed the hut experience and would like to do it again but not sure which hut to hit next. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know. Probably looking at sometime in June. Thanks Meridenff

Brad
08-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Certainly an option would be another AMC hut. You might also want to check out the huts from the Randolph Mountain Club.

www.randolphmountainclub.org

Great Guinness Ghost
08-22-2008, 08:42 PM
On our June hike the caretaker at Hermit Lake suggested Carter Notch hut. Any pros or cons on that one? Obviously a lot less people and MeridenFF will cook me a great meal!

rockin rex
08-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Well my favorite hut would have to be Madison. Great location and always great croo. As far as best place to stay. Crag camp. Awesome!!!!! It is just like a hut but there is no croo. You cook yourselves but are provided bunks to sleep in. They have like 3 different bunk rooms to choose from. The views from the deck here of Adams and Madison have to be seen. Take a short walk to the rock in front of the building and look down into Kings Ravine (DON'T FALL!!!!!!!) This is the place to stay. Problem is first come first serve. Once full up you are out of luck. I think it is 12.00 to stay but worth every dime. Crag Camp sits a mile below Adams on the Spur trail. The way to get to it is to park at Lowe's store and take Lowe's path up. Lowe's path will bring you within a half mile of it. You want a challenge? take the Spur trail up.

Great Guinness Ghost
08-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Well my favorite hut would have to be Madison. Great location and always great croo. As far as best place to stay. Crag camp. Awesome!!!!! It is just like a hut but there is no croo. You cook yourselves but are provided bunks to sleep in. They have like 3 different bunk rooms to choose from. The views from the deck here of Adams and Madison have to be seen. Take a short walk to the rock in front of the building and look down into Kings Ravine (DON'T FALL!!!!!!!) This is the place to stay. Problem is first come first serve. Once full up you are out of luck. I think it is 12.00 to stay but worth every dime. Crag Camp sits a mile below Adams on the Spur trail. The way to get to it is to park at Lowe's store and take Lowe's path up. Lowe's path will bring you within a half mile of it. You want a challenge? take the Spur trail up.

Thanks for the tip, we'll check into it.

JimS
08-24-2008, 08:23 AM
For AMC huts...I think that Carter is my favorite location. Fairly easy 4 mile hike in paralleling a cascading stream, leading up to two lakes and a geologically unique ramparts in a striking notch between two 4000 footers. The view is not across valleylands, but that hardly takes anything away from it.

One of my favorite dayhikes in the Whites was an august trip to carter where I wet waded around to the far shoreline, sat on a blueberry covered rock and fly fished for trout eager to rise to my hopper imitation. A great day to reflect upon...

Highly recommend Carter A++.

As for other nice hikes...Crag Camp...A+
Baldface loop and shelter A+
Imp Shelter A
Kinsman Pond Shelter A

mtruman
08-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Between last summer and this we've stayed in all the AMC huts except Carter and Lonesome Lake. My favorites have been Madison and Galehead.

Madison is probably better if you are going from there to Lakes for a second night (as we did) since the hike up/down from Appalachia is not very scenic - particularly by the Valley Way which comes out of the trees for the first time about 50 yards from the hut. Airline is a bit better (based on what others that we talked to at the hut told us). The eastern approaches probably are as well and are quite a bit tougher.

Galehead is probably better as part of a multi-day/hut trip as well since the one day in/out is probably best using the Gale River trail which I don't believe is terribly scenic (although we haven't gone that way).

If you've got more than one night you could do a multi-hut (using either 2 or 3 huts) from Franconia Notch, Crawford Notch or Pinkham Notch. Lots of options for in/out parking at one end and taking the hiker shuttle to or from the other. Any way you do it, it's all good!!!

I really want to do Carter next year - particularly after reading Jim's recommendation. We may try that before STP next year - maybe we'll run into you then...

MeridenFF
09-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all the info. I know I have been lazy since STP 08 but I better start getting ready for STP 09 or it will turn into Seek the Pictures as I will have to sit at the bottom and look at what ever one else did.

BlueDog
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
That's ok.. we'll make you the Official StP Beer Guardian! :P

MeridenFF
09-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Obviously you didn't notice me and GGG guarding the "unofficial beer supply" or whatever it was called at the dinner. If you did notice you would not want me to "guard" it unless you are interested in getting an empty bottle back. :rolleyes: