PDA

View Full Version : Forestgnome asks,"Got Orange?"

KD Talbot
08-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Hunting season starts September first. Virtually all of the White Mountain National Forest is open to hunting.

This thread is not started to incite hikers to flame hunters. Be aware of what's going on out there and act accordingly. Discuss the pros/cons of hunting elsewhere. Discuss safety and intelligence here.

For more:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=241175#post241175

KDT

TrishandAlex
08-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the reminder!

We are fuly stocked, from head to toe, with blaze orange everything. We both look rather amusing when we don everything (which we have a few times, to show my husband, who laughs heartily at us).

I think from wherever you are in the parking lot, if you just look toward the mountain, you'll be able to see us (we'll be the two neon eyesores glowing in the distance).

It's good to know that there haven't been any hunter-hiker accidents here in the Whites. At least, as far as I know. It's great the two groups can coexist and pursue their sport at the same time.

Thanks again for the reminder. Everyone stay safe!

spaull
08-27-2008, 01:31 PM
First post, didn't know this forum existed until recently, good info

Has anyone ever seen a hunter while on the trail system in the White Mtns? I have done a reasonable amount of hiking and I never have, not that I will assume none are out there, unfortunately I have seen very little of deer or moose while hiking the whites, I do stay on the trails, maybe the hunters are bushwacking?

KD Talbot
08-27-2008, 05:31 PM
I've done extensive hiking in the Whites and can't really think of any time I've run into any. Generally they will be found near trailheads and not at higher elevations, especially if the trail may be accessed by ATVs. In the event of shooting something, one has to get it back out of the woods.

I have come across butchered moose carcass on 2 occasions. Once on a mountain accessible to ATVs and snowmobiles and another time on one that must have taken a small army to carry the meat out. The skin and bones are left for the smaller critters that depend on this to survive. Usually by the next summer there is little trace left.

KDT