PDA

View Full Version : Summit Weather Weekend of Sept 5th



cjstruble1
09-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Hello,

I'm planning to hike to the summit on Saturday, but the weather is not looking ideal. I've hiked to the summit once before and was prepared for the worst: rain gear, winter temperatures, etc. What are your thoughts about hiking to the summit this weekend?

Craig

Bill O
09-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Get up and down early and watch the forecast. Its possible the summit could stay dry for most of the day but you never know what the outer bands of Hanna will do. Also a slight shift in the track and forward speed now will have dramatic effects tomorrow.

Personally, I'd pick something else to do this weekend. Not only do you have to beat the rain, if something goes wrong (not likely, but....) you will be stuck on the mountain in a tropical storm.

cjstruble1
09-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks...good advice. Do you have any suggestions as to alternate hikes in the area that may not be as dangerous if the weather were to get sketchy? Or should we just stay at a brewery for the day?? haha.

Bill O
09-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Some of the other members might have good suggestions for shorter hikes. There is no reason you still can't get outside and do something, especially if it looks like the rain is holding off.

KD Talbot
09-05-2008, 01:43 PM
For a taste of the Presidentials without an extended above tree-line exposure to the elements consider Mount Pierce. An easy climb on the Crawford Path from Crawford Notch. The above tree-line travel to the summit is only about 100 yds. and it will give you an idea of how bad it can be in the Presidentials during bad weather without the risk of being exposed for a long time.

There are several other shorter, less risky climbs from Crawford Notch, including Mount Willard and Mount Avalon. The Sugarloafs from Zealand Road are another option, though any of these would be much better on a clear, high-pressure day.

KDT

mtruman
09-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Kevin's suggestions (as always) are great. I really love Avalon for an "easy" hike with an amazing open summit and views. The nice thing about it is that it is very protected and you have the option of adding another 4000 footer or two (Tom, Field, Willey) if you have the ambition and the weather cooperates. Lots of other good short, protected hikes available too but which one really depends on where you are starting. The brewery option isn't so bad either. A day at Moat Mountain... Hmmm... :cool: