PDA

View Full Version : MWO on Facebook

Brad
09-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Having wandered around Facebook a bit for another organization I am on the Board for, I found some reference to MWO - but, not much. There is a small group that appears to be from a school who thought working on MW summit to be very cool. Scot has a "Cause" set up for MWO and one can donate through this cause to support the organization.

I created a "Group" as "Friends of Mount Washington Observatory" that can be found in the Group section or off my profile-info page. The purpose for the group is to provide a place for folks to discuss the Observatory. From there we can point folks to the Cause and the official web site. I will either find a good summit picture or get one from Scot to post to the Group's page.

If you are on Facebook, join the Group.

Bill O
09-10-2008, 07:32 AM
I joined the cause!

TrishandAlex
09-10-2008, 08:14 AM
I am old and know neither Facebook nor MySpace.

However, I'm glad the next generation has a hip way to access this site.

BlueDog
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
MyScape and Facebook are already old skool! :P

What we need now is for the Observers to start Twittering!

Patrad Fischroy
09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
MyScape and Facebook are already old skool! :P

What we need now is for the Observers to start Twittering!

Oh don't tell me that, I am still having trouble dialing in to my favorite BBS

Bill O
09-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I am old and know neither Facebook nor MySpace.

However, I'm glad the next generation has a hip way to access this site.

Brad is at least 35 and he figured it out.

mtruman
09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Brad is at least 35 and he figured it out.

Yea, but he's a young 35

billysinc
09-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Me and MWO are bff :)

Brad
09-10-2008, 07:55 PM
We could twitter as we hike - off our cell phones to keep each other up to date with where we are. The rest of the world will know too. Then take pictures with your cell phone camera and upload them to Facebook for others to follow along.

All we need now is cell signals.

Yes, I am at least 35. And, my IQ is greater than my age still (I think).

KD Talbot
09-10-2008, 08:44 PM
I still don't have a cell phone and I'm keepin' it that way!

KDT

spyboy
09-10-2008, 09:04 PM
I use all of those tools :) But I'm only 38 :)

I wouldn't mind seeing a MWO DATA twitter feed that would post an hourly update on the current temp/wind speed. But, I've been told that if you only use twitter to post and don't reply to feedback you're doing it wrong, so maybe it's not the right thing for a data feed (RSS feed more likely)

One of the most popular twitter feeds currently is the Mars Phoenix.

http://twitter.com/MarsPhoenix

The person who writes the feed, does it in a first person style as if the robot is tell you about it's adventures.

Maybe for a MWO feed, it should be from Marty's point of view :)

Kirk

Mike D
09-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I have a confession. This is just between me and you. I don't have a cell phone (one for work, but that's different). Nor do I have a Facebook, myspace, or Twitter account. Nor do I have a television or a land line. What I do have is VOIP, and a 28" LCD on which I watch NetFlix (DVD and streaming). I also like to watch the Daily Show on Hulu. Torin watches Blue's Clues and Mighty Machines. Under no circumstances do we watch the Wiggles.

You can't spell luddite without "IT".

KDT

billysinc
09-11-2008, 02:02 PM

KDT

Then how do you expect to get rescued? lol

TrishandAlex
09-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Then how do you expect to get rescued? lol

:D, that's really funny, lol

Brad
09-11-2008, 03:44 PM
It sounds like he needs to be rescued already.

spyboy
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I think we need to be rescued from technology...

It sounds like he needs to be rescued already.

Rich
09-11-2008, 08:50 PM
You either hate it or embrace it.

KD Talbot
09-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I have an IPOD. One of the first. It is the size of a bread-box and weighs 7lbs.

I don't use it hiking. It weighs less than all my CDs and CD player with 16" sub woofers. I used to carry this hiking because I know lots of people on the trail are bored with the sounds of nature and wish I would share my music with them.

When I needed rescuing I would crank some Ozzie until people gathered around me. They would usually carry me back to my car. Sort of like crowd surfing.

KDT

Brad
09-12-2008, 08:29 AM
I have found that most of the technical folks I work with love technology but know when and how to turn it off.

TrishandAlex
09-12-2008, 08:44 AM
I have found that most of the technical folks I work with love technology but know when and how to turn it off.

Bingo -- that's the key. Well said.

spyboy
09-12-2008, 09:07 AM
When I got lost hiking, I just shoot a whale. All the Greenpeace activists suddenly appear around me in protest, and then helicopters show up overhead. I'm saved!

Mike D
09-12-2008, 02:11 PM
"Lost"? Yeah, I'd say so. Tain't no whales til a hunnert miles norf ahere.

When I got lost hiking, I just shoot a whale. All the Greenpeace activists suddenly appear around me in protest, and then helicopters show up overhead. I'm saved!

Steve M
09-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I have an IPOD. One of the first. It is the size of a bread-box and weighs 7lbs.

I don't use it hiking. It weighs less than all my CDs and CD player with 16" sub woofers. I used to carry this hiking because I know lots of people on the trail are bored with the sounds of nature and wish I would share my music with them.

When I needed rescuing I would crank some Ozzie until people gathered around me. They would usually carry me back to my car. Sort of like crowd surfing.

KDT

"I'm going off the Trails on a hiking train" yea, I remember that one!:D

Bill O
09-23-2008, 08:30 AM
I wonder if there is a tasteful way to include an MWO facebook link on the main site?

I see them all the time on other news sites. Maybe it could be tied into the MWO Facebook cause.

Brad
09-23-2008, 04:50 PM
That is a great idea.