PDA

View Full Version : A good winter campground

iceclimber
09-23-2008, 08:12 PM
ok,

I am looking to see if anyone on the forums has ever winter camped near Mt. Washington. My plan is to camp then wake up early and go to the Pinkham notch center and begin our climb. So, I want to have a campground relatively close to highway 16 and the pinkham notch center. Thanks in advance.

KD Talbot
09-23-2008, 08:19 PM
It depends on what you're looking for. If you're just looking for back country winter camping then the place to do it is at Hermit Lake Shelters. You'll be 1/2 way up Mount Washington if you camp there. They are just open air shelters located on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail. First come, first serve. They're on your map.

http://timefortuckerman.com/hermitlake.html

KDT

MsCntry
09-24-2008, 12:45 AM
ok,

I am looking to see if anyone on the forums has ever winter camped near Mt. Washington. My plan is to camp then wake up early and go to the Pinkham notch center and begin our climb. So, I want to have a campground relatively close to highway 16 and the pinkham notch center. Thanks in advance.

We have a great camp here in Tamworth!! It is called Joe and Diane's Hideaway LOL. I sit here in front of the fireplace and stay warm all winter!! HeHeHeHeHe

JimS
09-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Barnes Field off Dolly Copp Road is a nice valley location that allows winter camping as well. Run by the NFS...

iceclimber
09-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks. I'll look into those options.

donnellyvj
09-24-2008, 04:57 PM
ok,

I have winter camped at hermits a bunch. When you wake up you'er half way up.

iceclimber
09-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the info, but we probably won't camp at Hermits. We will drive up from Central NY on the 26th and plan to climb the 27th or 28th depending upon weather. If the weather is not good we have to get back to NY on the 29th, so I will have to try again in March. So, we will not start climbing at least until the morning of the 27th. So, we need a campsite for the night of the 26th. If we came up and the weather on the summit was bad, I suppose we could climb to Hermits and camp and try again in the morning of the 27th. If not, then we'll have to camp two nights at the campsite we initially do end up taking.

iceclimber
09-25-2008, 03:43 PM
If I were interested in the Hermit lake shelter, would I contact the AMC website or the pinkham notch visitor center?

donnellyvj
09-25-2008, 04:04 PM
If I were interested in the Hermit lake shelter, would I contact the AMC website or the pinkham notch visitor center?

I always just call Pinkhams and they can give an idea how busy it will be. It is 1st come 1st serve though.

iceclimber
09-25-2008, 04:10 PM
yeah, I just called and they said the same. They said in December it shouldn't be too crazy busy. I think we will plan to arrive in North Conway early on the 26th and rent some gear my Brother-in-law will need, then we will head up to the visitor center and hopefully there will be some spaces still available to rent. Then we will hike up to the shelter and spend the night and the next day we can wake up and check conditions up higher and see if it is a go. I was told by the AMC that the conditions and predictions for the days weather can be found at the Hermit Lake Shelter.

donnellyvj
09-26-2008, 11:54 AM
yeah, I just called and they said the same. They said in December it shouldn't be too crazy busy. I think we will plan to arrive in North Conway early on the 26th and rent some gear my Brother-in-law will need, then we will head up to the visitor center and hopefully there will be some spaces still available to rent. Then we will hike up to the shelter and spend the night and the next day we can wake up and check conditions up higher and see if it is a go. I was told by the AMC that the conditions and predictions for the days weather can be found at the Hermit Lake Shelter.

Hey, you may have some company up there. We did late November last year and it was a blast (blue bird, high winds, very cold). We were talking about a Xmas trip this year. I am going up October 11th and 12th. I am having a hard time sleeping at night just thinking about it.

iceclimber
09-26-2008, 12:44 PM
How was the snow last November? Is it accurate information about our being able to access summit conditions from the Hermit Lake shelter in winter?

KD Talbot
09-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Hermit Lakes Shelter is where the Snow Rangers spend the winter. They are in daily communication with the Obs about conditions above and below.

KDT

iceclimber
09-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks KD.

Acrophobe
09-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Isn't it also true, KD, that one can camp anywhere as long as there is two feet of snow? Suppose there won't be that much snow then, but hypothetically?

And how many people are going with you, iceclimber? Just your brother in law? Bet that'll be fun. :)

donnellyvj
09-27-2008, 08:59 AM
How was the snow last November? Is it accurate information about our being able to access summit conditions from the Hermit Lake shelter in winter?

We had a good bit of snow above treeline. Although we didn't need to use our crampons. It was just on edge were using crampons made it harder to walk because Lionshead had not ice over. You may have needed them the next day. You never know. We did set up the 4 season tent inside the shelter. It was a very cold(<10F) and that made the night very nice.

KD Talbot
09-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Isn't it also true, KD, that one can camp anywhere as long as there is two feet of snow?

NO! This is absolutely false! There is NO camping on the east side of Mount Washington except in Hermit Lake Shelters.

(1) No camping is permitted above treeline (where trees are less than 8 ft. tall),
except in winter, and then only in places where there is at least
2 ft. of snow cover on the ground—but not on any frozen body of water,
and not on the east face of Mt. Washington's summit cone from Boott
Spur to Nelson Crag (the area above Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines,
including the Alpine Garden area). The point where the above-treeline
restricted area begins is marked on most trails with small signs, but the
absence of such signs should not be construed as proof of the legality of
a site.

There is also no camping within the boundaries of Mount Washington State Park which excludes any camping on the summit.

KDT

iceclimber
09-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, it will be me and my brother-in-law. I only have a 2 man tent anyway so with our gear it will be just right. Well, we'll be prepared for snow just in case. Thanks.

Acrophobe
09-27-2008, 02:09 PM
NO! This is absolutely false! There is NO camping on the east side of Mount Washington except in Hermit Lake Shelters.

Whoops. Good thing I asked, then. :) Guess I confused it with other parts of the Whites. What about the west side of Washington, though?

And I bet an early winter morning is beautiful above treeline. I oughta try that this year (in one of the legal places, of course).

Good luck on your climb, iceclimber. Hope you enjoy our wovewy widdle state here.:)

KD Talbot
09-27-2008, 07:39 PM
it's a common misconception. There are certain additional rules for Forest Protection Areas, and the east side of MW is one that falls under the special rules.

The west side is cool, outside of the State Park. The wind keeps a lot of folks from camping above tree-line, though. There are protected areas if you know the mountain. Further north, Edmands Col is a popular spot.

KDT