PDA

View Full Version : nighttime in a mountain meadow

forestgnome
09-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Jupiter among the stars of Sagitarius and the Milky Way over a meadow in the Sandwich Range with a nice layer of ground fog, as I was visited by a pair of moose. The bull stayed back and the cow came over to visit.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/moosejupiter044.jpg

She was dimly lit with a headlamp, filtered through a fleece hat.

happy autumn :)

MsCntry
09-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Very nice shot!! I wish my camera would take pictures of the stars. Heck I would be happy if it would take a nice picture of the moon late at night :rolleyes:

Brad
09-25-2008, 06:22 AM
She was checking to make sure you were okay after your problems the other day.

Bretton Woods Brat
09-25-2008, 07:32 AM
beautiful...... :)

"Hey, there's that huge salt stick"

CHRIS
09-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Beautiful picture as always. Keep them coming .

forestgnome
09-26-2008, 07:52 PM
I have learned that it is illegal in NH to illuminate wildlife from Sept. 1st to Dec. 31st. The law is intended to curb deer hunters from poaching and from "spotting" deer at night so they can take a shot when it's legal ( 1/2 hour before dawn ). F&G feels that there is a tremendous advantage when illuminating.

Thanks for all the nice comments on the picture!

happy trails :)

forestgnome
09-26-2008, 08:18 PM
BTW, here's a shot of her new boyfreind. It was taken a little earlier, but it was still very dark out. I had to repeatedly focus and shoot 6" exposures until the image on the screen appeared to be in focus, then keep taking shots until the bull held still for the whole 6" of exposure. No illumination:rolleyes: This shot was at about 200mm.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/jupiterinsagitarius2.jpg

happy autumn :)

CHRIS
09-27-2008, 02:04 PM
What can you say just awesome!!!

KathyC
09-29-2008, 08:04 AM
This may be a dumb question, but isn't it dangerous to be out hiking when it's dark?

Rich
09-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Nooo, not dangerous at all. Night hiking is great! Especially with a full moon. You hear more creature sounds than during a day hike and you spot totally different wildlife too. Just wear a headlamp when there is no moon. Try it, you'll love it!

iceclimber
09-29-2008, 09:15 AM
I once did a night trek through the jungles of Borneo or modern day Sarawak/Sabah. I saw all kinds of things that could only be seen at night, we had some powerful flashlights and I would second that you need to have a headlamp and some spare batteries and bulb just in case.

KathyC
09-29-2008, 07:26 PM
I love nature and the country, but I'm a city girl.

Last week we stayed at a friends cabin in East Haven VT., I've never seen the night so dark. If you shut the lights off in the house and walked outside, you wouldn't be able to see the house. But I've never seen so many stars in my life, it was unreal, there were millions.

The closest town is about 8 miles away and being so dark made me nervous and I hardly slept at all that night, even after a few glasses of wine.

TrishandAlex
09-29-2008, 07:43 PM
I've never seen the night so dark. If you shut the lights off in the house and walked outside, you wouldn't be able to see the house. .....and I hardly slept at all that night, even after a few glasses of wine.

I love the mountains and the country. However, I have yet to hike at night, or camp without being very nervous in the dark. When we go to our NH (teensy) house each week, we often arrive at night. I am always scared while I unpack the car. It's absolutely ridiculous, and my husband gleefully makes fun of me over it. :rolleyes:

One of my goals next summer is to hike a mountain and see sunrise at the peak. Which means walking during the night, with a headlamp in the dark. Solo. I've just got to get over this fear, it's ticking me off.

But I feel your pain.

MsCntry
09-30-2008, 12:55 AM
We wouldn't have it any other way!! Joe and I lived up here at the local campground, so we decided to move up here!! We love sitting next to an open fire and looking at the stars!! We slept better in our tent than we did at home LOL. After we crawled in the tent the raccoons usually came out to play. Of course Joe would leave them treats all around the camp site so they would come out lol. Then we would open the tent flap and take pictures of them!! :D We have also come face to face with black bears in the camp ground and only standing about 10 feet away was amazing!!

Brad
09-30-2008, 05:46 AM
I love the mountains and the country. However, I have yet to hike at night, or camp without being very nervous in the dark. When we go to our NH (teensy) house each week, we often arrive at night. I am always scared while I unpack the car. It's absolutely ridiculous, and my husband gleefully makes fun of me over it. :rolleyes:

One of my goals next summer is to hike a mountain and see sunrise at the peak. Which means walking during the night, with a headlamp in the dark. Solo. I've just got to get over this fear, it's ticking me off.

But I feel your pain.
You might think about putting in an outside light that comes on only at night and when it sees motion. Then when you drive in at night the light will come on. Or what I do is have a light switch on X-10 or Insteon which I can control from my laptop computer. That way I can turn the lights on before I get to the house.

Another idea is to wrap clear rope lights around a fence or railing and have them on only at night. Then you will always have lights to walk to the cabin. We have these along the top rail of our railing from the parking area to the side door. It can get really dark at night in the woods.

CHRIS
09-30-2008, 07:08 AM
This years Stp I started a little early and got onto the Ammo trail in the dark and I will admit it was a little spooky you kind of jump with every little noise but after a while you kinda get used to it. I thought it was so cool as you walked it got brighter and brighter as the sun came up and you watch the sky turn from black to blue.
We have been going north for years and tried to move up there about 4 years ago but decided to stay where we are now for a few more years. However I finally talked my wife into selling our rv and my truck and to buy a small place up north that we can go to every weekend and she agreed. So now I just have to sell everything.:D

TrishandAlex
09-30-2008, 07:32 AM
This years Stp I started a little early and got onto the Ammo trail in the dark and I will admit it was a little spooky you kind of jump with every little noise but after a while you kinda get used to it. I thought it was so cool as you walked it got brighter and brighter as the sun came up and you watch the sky turn from black to blue.
We have been going north for years and tried to move up there about 4 years ago but decided to stay where we are now for a few more years. However I finally talked my wife into selling our rv and my truck and to buy a small place up north that we can go to every weekend and she agreed. So now I just have to sell everything.:D

Chris, congrats on your move! :D

Brad, those are good ideas, but I want to get used to the dark. I'd actually rather face the fear and try to get over it.

BobbyG
10-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Can you say smile, you're on candid camera?

Great shot!