PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a Fall Hike

mtruman
09-30-2008, 09:36 AM
We're planning on squeezing in at least one more NH hike this fall (hopefully more, but we're still trying to catch up on the home projects that got neglected while we were spending all our time hiking this summer). The plan is either this weekend or next (pending the weather forecast) to do a day in southern NH. Current thoughts are either Cardigan (probably a loop over Cardigan and Firescrew) or Morgan/Percival. We've never done either of these and they both look like great fall hike candidates. I'd love to hear opinions of those that have done them and recommendations on any better ideas as well.

TrishandAlex
09-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Alex, Sage and I did Cardigan on September 20th, with two other families. It was a great hike. Mellow except for the very top, with 360 degree views. I can't speak for Morgan/Percival, but Cardigan was fantastic.

FisherCat
09-30-2008, 11:50 AM
With the foliage, give consideration to either Garfield or Carrigain as well. Great views if the weather is fair. I think the fall colors stand out much better against a gray sky anyway.

FisherCat
09-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Ooops! I just realized you said southern NH, oh well, can those pklans for southern NH and go north, that's what I would do!:)

mtruman
09-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Ooops! I just realized you said southern NH, oh well, can those pklans for southern NH and go north, that's what I would do!:)

I actually like to do one of the more northern options but since we're trying to do it with a drive back and forth from RI in one day southern NH (and a moderate hike time) is the best option - particularly when I have to drag my 13 year old out of bed to get on the road early. If it was up to me I'd be getting up at 4am and doing Franconia Ridge (or something like that). This seems like a pretty good compromise though...

Debi
09-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Weather is predicted at 60 and sunny and it's a little more predictable in the southern part of the state although it's still early in the week. I was just having the discussion with Val today about what to hike with the kids this weekend. Her recommendation was definitely Cardigan for the view and the colors. We may see you there.

Tim&Val
10-02-2008, 06:18 AM
This is also a great loop that will have excellent color right now. The foliage is much closer to peak in the Lakes Region than has been generally broadcast. It's got some cliffs and cave side-trips that can make it interesting, and on a clear day you can see all the Whites to the north. Even on a less-clear day, the views of Squam Lake are fantastic.

Here is a trip report of the loop from winter. It'll give you an idea of the views, although all my whining about the snowshoes can be ignored. :)

http://www.barkeater.ws/NH48/images/MtPercival/20080105/MtPercivalFrames.htm

Both of your options would be fantastic this weekend.

p.s. if you do the Cardigan/Firescrew trip, make sure to stop at the orchard (I think it's called Cardigan Mtn Orchard) along the same road to get some cider or an apple pie to go!

mtruman
10-02-2008, 06:37 AM
This is also a great loop that will have excellent color right now. The foliage is much closer to peak in the Lakes Region than has been generally broadcast. It's got some cliffs and cave side-trips that can make it interesting, and on a clear day you can see all the Whites to the north. Even on a less-clear day, the views of Squam Lake are fantastic.

Here is a trip report of the loop from winter. It'll give you an idea of the views, although all my whining about the snowshoes can be ignored. :)

http://www.barkeater.ws/NH48/images/MtPercival/20080105/MtPercivalFrames.htm

Both of your options would be fantastic this weekend.

p.s. if you do the Cardigan/Firescrew trip, make sure to stop at the orchard (I think it's called Cardigan Mtn Orchard) along the same road to get some cider or an apple pie to go!

Thanks Val - looks like we're going to have to get to both of these hikes at some point. They both look great. I enjoyed the trip report. Only minor whining ;). I assume you were able to avoid the ladders on the way down Morgan? Seeing pictures of this section I had wondered how this would be negotiated in winter.

After your suggestion about the orchard near Cardigan that may have pushed my decision over the edge. Nice fall hike, cider and pie afterwards. Doesn't get much better than that.

CHRIS
10-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Is there any good loop trails that bring you back to the AMC lodge parking lot? I am also thinking of heading up this Saturday to do Cardigan.

mtruman
10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Is there any good loop trails that bring you back to the AMC lodge parking lot? I am also thinking of heading up this Saturday to do Cardigan.

There's a map on the bottom of this page that has one of the popular loops from the AMC lodge: http://www.dred.state.nh.us/divisions/forestandlands/bureaus/naturalheritage/Mt.Cardigan.htm. It uses Holt/Clark/Mowglis/Manning trails and loops over Cardigan and Firescrew. 5.6 miles. This is probably the loop we'll use if we wind up there this weekend. Still up in the air between Cardigan and Morgan/Percival (as well as hoping that my daughters cold gets better today).

CHRIS
10-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the link Mark and I hope your daughter feels better. It is suppose to be a nice weekend and I am hoping that there will be alot of colors around.