PDA

View Full Version : Undercast?

donnellyvj
10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I see all of these pictures of undercast skies and they are great. What is the best time of day to see undercast? I would think early morning if the weather conditions are right.

Bill O
10-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Well, it has to be cloudy, you have to be on a mountain and those clouds have to be below you. So those factors are more important than time of day.

I've seen undercast up there at all times of the day.

If I had to pick a time it would be the morning. Best chance of valley fog at that time, which isn't really undercast, but enough fog can look like an undercast. Also, an undercast usually involves an inversion which is more likely to occur when the sun isn't giving maximum heat to the surface.

JimS
10-01-2008, 03:51 PM
It is a tricky thing to get...thats for sure. I've had days in a row that were undercast, and fall seems to be the best time for that...with low level moisture trapped below stable air.

Time of day...morning valley fog looks nice from the summit, but doesn't count as undercast. Really, it's just picking it lucky...

Mike D
10-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Bill, you smart donkey. You should also mention that it must be daytime, since Donnelly asked for the best time to "see" an undercast.

Well, it has to be cloudy, you have to be on a mountain and those clouds have to be below you. So those factors are more important than time of day.

Bill O
10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Bill, you smart donkey. You should also mention that it must be daytime, since Donnelly asked for the best time to "see" an undercast.

I saw an undercast on a bright moonlit night one fine October eve back in '04. Fine for those of us on the summit, of course.

He didn't make it precisely clear he wanted to see one from the mountain. I just wanted to make it known that the odds of seeing one out your back door is quite low.

donnellyvj
10-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Sounds good. Maybe I'll get lucky October 12th. I have the Fall thing going so far.

Bill O
10-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Sounds good. Maybe I'll get lucky October 12th. I have the Fall thing going so far.

I think you are right, you just have to get lucky. Tough to forecast, and hard to get to unless you live in the neighborhood. Webcams certainly help.

JimS
10-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I think that one of the biggest factors not yet stated is that you have to be willing to go up the mountain when you can't see the mountain. Alot of people wait for the clear days, but for an undercast...well it's cloudy in the valleys.

Bill O
10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
If a mountain top pokes above the clouds and nobody is there to see it, did it really happen?

h2oeco
10-01-2008, 08:56 PM
It certainly happened last October, and there were people there to see it...

http://www.ecomalley.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=699&g2_serialNumber=8

mtruman
10-01-2008, 09:23 PM

Absolutely incredible photo Ed. Talk about being in the right place at the right time...

donnellyvj
10-02-2008, 09:09 AM

http://www.ecomalley.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=699&g2_serialNumber=8

Sunrise or sunset? Great picture.

h2oeco
10-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Sunset - from last October, when I was up there for a volunteer week...

KD Talbot
10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
There's really nothing like it and it really is just a matter of being there and being lucky. I've been lucky enough to have been on MW for a few,

http://www.ghostflowers.com/forumshots/02sunrise112407.jpg

but the real thrill is to climb a mountain, sleep there and wake up to one, though I guess you could say this is just valley fog. I don't care, I'll take it! :)

http://www.ghostflowers.com/forumshots/25bondcliff92303.jpg

KDT

TrishandAlex
10-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks to all of you, for posting such beautiful photos. I hope to see an undercast some day, in person.

mtruman
10-02-2008, 05:41 PM
There's really nothing like it and it really is just a matter of being there and being lucky. I've been lucky enough to have been on MW for a few,

but the real thrill is to climb a mountain, sleep there and wake up to one, though I guess you could say this is just valley fog. I don't care, I'll take it! :)

KDT

More amazing photos Kevin. Obviously even more incredible if you can be there in person. Gotta work on that part...

Acrophobe
10-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Lovely, KD (do you mind if I call you Kevin, by the way?) as always. When were you on Mount Washington in winter? Was that your Thanksgiving volunteer session last year?

KD Talbot
10-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Yup, last Thanksgiving. Call me KD, Kevin, whatever... I've been called everything! Yes, I do mean everything!

KDT

MsCntry
10-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Yup, last Thanksgiving. Call me KD, Kevin, whatever... I've been called everything! Yes, I do mean everything!

KDT

Bet you are not called late for dinner!! :D

Patrad Fischroy
10-03-2008, 12:14 PM

KDT

Even "That crazy naked hiker":cool:

billysinc
10-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Even "That crazy naked hiker":cool:

I don't think he's totally naked, I believe he wears a kilt. I'm pretty sure Emma hikes naked.