PDA

View Full Version : A few White Mountain shots from the weekend...

JimS
10-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I got up to Gorham for a few hours Saturday into Sunday...didn't get the snow covered peaks shot I had drempt of, but got a few I'm proud of for sure. Peak has come to north of the notches...south should be next weekend...

My favorite: Mackeral Sky Over Reflection Pond...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2918727753_082645824e_o.jpg

Not quite Gnome-esk...but it's a rare moose family for me...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/2920146046_0a1778a383_o.jpg

White Mountain Stream...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3077/2920476788_2e67d72daf_o.jpg

Sunrise from a ledge above Shelburne...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2920476740_57f6d65aae_o.jpg

From the same ledge...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/2919631715_bdff00822c_o.jpg

Beaver Pond, Kinsman Notch...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/2920476518_dfaa04275e_o.jpg

Enjoy!

TrishandAlex
10-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Breathtaking. I've no adequate words for the beauty of your photographs.

Tim&Val
10-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Every one of them is breathtaking!! Truly beautiful! I can't even say "I like XXX best" because they're all so different.

Valerie

KD Talbot
10-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Various adjectives. Love Gorham and the Shelburne Area.

Thanks!

KDT

Brad
10-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Great shots! I am hoping to get out in NH to take pictures this weekend. save some of the color for me.

mtruman
10-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Absolutely incredible photos Jim. I do agree with you about the first one being the best though. When I opened this thread and saw that picture it literally took my breath away. What an amazing example of how beautiful the White Mountains are!!!!!

Rich
10-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Awesome! All of them! Awesome!

mtruman
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
While I've long admired Jim's photography in the forum and in the OBS gallery I had never gone and looked at his other online galleries before today. I'm still working on getting my jaw back off the floor (which it hit as soon as I opened the first page). I can't find the words to describe the beauty in these images and the light in which they present the White Mountains (pun completely intended). I'm sure that many here have been familiar with the rest of Jim's work for a long time, but for those that aren't you really need to go look at it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimsalge/
http://public.fotki.com/w7xman/

JimS
10-07-2008, 03:56 PM
While I've long admired Jim's photography in the forum and in the OBS gallery I had never gone and looked at his other online galleries before today. I'm still working on getting my jaw back off the floor (which it hit as soon as I opened the first page). I can't find the words to describe the beauty in these images and the light in which they present the White Mountains (pun completely intended). I'm sure that many here have been familiar with the rest of Jim's work for a long time, but for those that aren't you really need to go look at it here:

Thanks Mark,

Glad you wandered through. I work hard for my images, often ask of others to work just as hard for my images (thanks Ryan most recently), and try to capture the connection of 'being there' on film. I find that for people as connected to these mountains as I am, well, this stuff just speaks to them.

Happy to provide a visual escape, and will happily continue to do so, as it keeps me connected as well!

Jim

TrishandAlex
10-07-2008, 06:21 PM

I did the same and my sentiments echo yours.

I'm trying to pick out the ones I want my husband to buy and frame for me(Christmas and birthday presents).

Acrophobe
10-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Utterly astonishing. It looks like the NH I know, but transposed onto some higher, more luminescent plane of existence. Magnificent.

Now, you're probably loathe to reveal secrets, but you can't say you just whipped out your camera and pushed the button, can you? What's it take to make the colours so vibrant like that?

I'm headed up there on Friday - I'll be sure to have my camera along. :)

forestgnome
10-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Absolutely beautiful stuff!!! The first image is really great. It looks like it was taken at a wide part of the Amonusuc, west of Gorham, that I've seen on the map but only envisioned the view.

The moose image is really nice as well. It's so hard to catch a mama and two calves like that. I like the look on all the faces.

They are all very inspiring as well as beautiful.

The image titled "Magic Light" on your Flickr page is sensational. It has such great beauty and mood, very uplifting.

Congrats, and keep 'em coming:D

JimS
10-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Now, you're probably loathe to reveal secrets, but you can't say you just whipped out your camera and pushed the button, can you? What's it take to make the colours so vibrant like that?

I don't at all mind revealing my secrets, mainly because there is no magic bullet. The images are the result of scouting, planning, practice and timing. I only shoot during the magic hours, or when the light dictates the right conditions for a scene. I'm terribly picky...and at this point know what will work and what won't before I push the shutter.

As far as colors, I prefer to get my shots right in camera rather than in photoshop, but some photoshop is unavoidable. To keep it at a minimum, I extensively use filters, mainly polarizers and graduated neutral density filters to get the exposure right the first time, and to allow the right amount light to reach my sensor for maximum effect.

If you have any questions, or want honest critique on technique and composition, I can happily provide.

Thanks again all!

M_Six
10-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Stunning. As I told another very talented photographer not too long ago, to say I'm bush league compared to you implies that I even play the same sport. I'm not even close. I am, however, in awe. :cool:

MsCntry
10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Very nice :) we don't have the money for a lot of camera equipment just yet, but I am hoping someday I might be able to get everything I need to take photos like yours and Gnomes. :D

CHRIS
10-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Your pictures are incredible and I hope to someday be able to take some as great as them. If you don't mind could you tell me what epuipment you use to take them. I have an older Canon Rebel (only 6.3mp) and a 28-105mm image stab. lens and a 70-300 tele. non image stab. and I just picked up the Canon G9 mainly for hiking and carry in my lunch box everyday (just in case) which I find takes some pretty good pictures. I have been looking @ the Canon D40 becuase all my lenses will fit but I know Canon just came out (i believe) with a 15 mp body I think is a either d50 or 5d I forget but it is suppose to be around 1500.00 so I will have to save as not to give my wife sticker shock:D. Yes I like Canon.

Bretton Woods Brat
10-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for sharing Jim, I can smell the fall air...

faegilr
10-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Beautiful work, Jim! I just added you as a friend on Flickr so I can keep an eye on your work :)

JimS
10-08-2008, 11:12 AM
If you don't mind could you tell me what epuipment you use to take them.

Don't mind at all. I truly think that the camera itself is the least important factor in the equation. Lenses, filters and light are more important.

I have a Canon 20D. A few generations old, but it works fine and I see no need to upgrade until the 5DMarkII comes 1) out and 2) down in price.

My lenses...almost all of my shots are with the sigma 18-200. It's adequately sharp, lightweight and versital.

I also have a Canon 24mm prime, Canon 50mm prime macro, and a Sigma 150 Prime Macro.

Filters...These are important. I have a circular polarizer, a set of Neutral Density filters that cut light and slow the exposure, and two sets of Graduated Neutral Density filters that manipulate the light over half of an image at a time. These help balance bright skies with dark foregrounds during the magic hour.

I have photoshop elements. I typically don't do anything besides levels, dodge and burn, a bit of saturation and a bit of sharpening, but these steps are all important!

MOST Importantly though...my tripod! I almost never shoot anything without it, so I can refine a composition with precision.

I have an older Canon Rebel (only 6.3mp) and a 28-105mm image stab. lens and a 70-300 tele. non image stab. and I just picked up the Canon G9 mainly for hiking and carry in my lunch box everyday (just in case) which I find takes some pretty good pictures.

Your cameras are more than good enough to do what you want them to do. Practice, practice, shoot in better and better light, and begin to recognize what type of light works in certain scenarios.

A professional photographer did a test with his G9 to see if his stock agency would accept images from it...write up here:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles1207/dw1207-1.html

I have been looking @ the Canon D40 becuase all my lenses will fit but I know Canon just came out (i believe) with a 15 mp body I think is a either d50 or 5d I forget but it is suppose to be around 1500.00 so I will have to save as not to give my wife sticker shock:D. Yes I like Canon.

Canon is really pushing the MP race right now...and I don't see why. Number of pixels only allows you to print bigger. Quality of pixels is much more important. Fortunately they have improved that as well. They are releasing the 50D and the 5DMarkII this fall. For $2600, I both want and can wait for the 5DMarkII. I don't think I'd survive purchasing it before my girlfriend gets a specific piece of jewelry ;)

Hope that helps!

Jim

Bill O
10-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Isn't sensor size more important than pixels when it comes to quality?

JimS
10-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Isn't sensor size more important than pixels when it comes to quality?

From what I've read, the more densely packed the pixels are, the more noise they are likely to create due to (interference, heat, etc ?). More sensor space means larger, higher quality pixels. However, circutry and technology keeps increasing...so we get a better product.

I've read that the 5DMarkII will have the same density of pixels as my 20D...but the noise on that camera at ISO 3200 is better than mine at ISO400.

CHRIS
10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Thank you Jim for your help. I have been playing with my cameras for a little while and I do notice my shots getting better but no where near as good as yours. Hopefully someday. I do need to get some filters thou. I have the poloraizer and uv now but I know I need more and I already have a tripod. I think I just want to upgrade a bit to at least the EOSD40 but it is the same as you I need to butter my wife up. As she says "what do you need another one for". I think it is because I like newer toys:D. I have told her that this would be my last for a while he he.I am thinking of trying to take a course in photography at a school near me but it all boils down to having the time.
Again thanks Jim and keep them pictures coming you have a great talent.

Brad
10-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Jim, there is an easy solution for you. get to the jewelry store soon.

mtruman
10-08-2008, 02:16 PM
From what I've read, the more densely packed the pixels are, the more noise they are likely to create due to (interference, heat, etc ?). More sensor space means larger, higher quality pixels. However, circutry and technology keeps increasing...so we get a better product.

I've read that the 5DMarkII will have the same density of pixels as my 20D...but the noise on that camera at ISO 3200 is better than mine at ISO400.

There has been so much press and debate on this in the last few years (particularly among serious photographers). It seems that the camera companies are all trying to appeal to the mass market who are convinced that higher megapixel numbers translate to better images. The sensor size and quality is certainly more important and thankfully the manufacturers are at least remembering that on their high end cameras. It unfortunately seems though that packing more pixels into smaller sensors and trying to compensate for this with newer circuitry is not always working out. The circuitry can only do just so much to compensate for an image that wasn't effectively captured in the first place.

Brad
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Sounds like I still have to aim the camera in the right direction.

h2oeco
10-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info/tips/ideas Jim.

Ed