PDA

View Full Version : Saturday in the Whites

Brad
10-12-2008, 08:37 PM
My son, a friend and I headed over to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center early on Saturday. Got there at 5AM and headed across the street and up to Square Ledge. We had not been there before and had no idea what the trail was like or how long it was. It was not on any of the maps or software we had. Turns out it is not long and we should have carried tripods up.

It was still fully dark when we got there and took pictures as the sun came up down the valley and of Mt Washington. We saw soe headlamps heading up towards Tuckermans in the dark. Brian Clark had told me the day before that Saturday was the morning to have a chance of a clear summit view. We were doubting him for a long time, but eventually the summit cleared and we had a great view.

http://images42.fotki.com/v1320/photos/8/8235/6804195/CRW_7321a-vi.jpg

Then 2 of us went up to route 2 and down route 113 in Evans Notch checking out the fall colors. Stopped at the old Eastman farm on route 113 to see the 5 day old calves - off to Harrison, Maine - and took pictures in that area. We saw a good variety of color and had a good time.

Full set of pictures are at http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/maine/fall/2008-fall

MsCntry
10-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Gorgeous colors, and such cute babies!! :p

mtruman
10-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Beautiful set of pics Brad. The colors in the summit shots at sunrise are amazing. I particularly like the shot of the clouds hanging over Tucks. Gorgeous fall day!

Brad
10-13-2008, 07:54 AM
As soon as we got to the ledge we commented we should have brought our tripods. It would have made a big difference. we will do that next time.

TrishandAlex
10-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Beautiful set of pics Brad. The colors in the summit shots at sunrise are amazing. I particularly like the shot of the clouds hanging over Tucks. Gorgeous fall day!

My sentiments exactly. That Tucks photo is my favorite as well. Wow.

JimS
10-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Wow...I've wondered what a sunrise from Square Ledge would be like...and there it is...AWESOME!

Looks like a great trip...I simply love the area around Pinkham, and waking up there in peak foliage must be a treat.

My favorite shots are the shots down the notch in early morning light, as well as the one you posted in thread above. The orographic cloud above the peak is very nice as well!

Congrats on a fine series!

Brad
10-13-2008, 12:41 PM
We were driving north after taking the pictures and the summit had a wonderful shaped cloud over it. Pulled over beside the road - grabbed the camera - and the cloud had changed completely. Stood there 10 seconds and the cloud changed again - then it was gone.

We would like to get up higher on an outcropping. What is the trail like from Lost Pond going up? Are there good view spots within a reasonable distance for night climbing with a tripod? The maps show it to be very steep.

JimS
10-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Hmmmm...
Well...for one thing...I'm not too fond of the view from lost pond itself. I've never tried going up the hill behind it...but it looks steep. The wildcat ridge trail starts near there (glen ellis) and has great views part way up. It's steep, but doable!

Brad
10-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Yes, want to get a bit higher next time. So, we may try heading up the Glen Ellis. Would be nice to think of doing it in November - but not sure.

Brad
10-13-2008, 05:48 PM
My son got a shot of me looking over at Mt Washington as the sun was sweeping across the valley.

http://images41.fotki.com/v1252/photos/7/7299/6807732/20081011FallColors-vi.jpg

spyboy
10-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Brad, manual settings please, look at that sky, you must have been set to auto :)

Brad
10-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Which picture are you talking about?

spyboy
10-13-2008, 07:57 PM
this pic

http://images41.fotki.com/v1252/photos/7/7299/6807732/20081011FallColors-vi.jpg[/QUOTE]

forestgnome
10-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Really great stuff, Brad! Looks like a nice trip!

happy autumn :)

Patrad Fischroy
10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Brad, manual settings please, look at that sky, you must have been set to auto :)

Agree, funny, I was just looking at a photo newsletter that pointed this techique out.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IRNEWS/

Look under "beginners flash"

BTW, their idea of beginners isn't all that accurate.

Brad
10-14-2008, 07:35 PM
First, I am in the picture and my son is taking the picture. Without tripods we did not worry too much since the results would not be all that great. Bill normally shoots in AV mode and probably did there - for a guess. Earlier he was manual as we were doing 20 second exposures.

spyboy
10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
I know he took it, but still, you're his dad and he should know better, so I blame you :)

K

First, I am in the picture and my son is taking the picture. Without tripods we did not worry too much since the results would not be all that great. Bill normally shoots in AV mode and probably did there - for a guess. Earlier he was manual as we were doing 20 second exposures.

Brad
10-15-2008, 06:34 AM
I know he took it, but still, you're his dad and he should know better, so I blame you :)

K
You are one hard Dude. I am learning to take pictures from HIM! He is an adult and therefore on his own. I may take credit, but no responsibility for him.