PDA

View Full Version : Northern New England Winter 2008/2009

Brad
10-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I am sure everyone is wondering what kind of winter we will have this year. From our yard (it is a hot bed of weather forecasting) it is clear that we will have a tough winter. There are acorns all over the ground.

MsCntry
10-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah I noticed that a lot on all of the nature walks I took. We kinda figured that with the mild summer we had that winter was gunna be a bad one. We need to come up with a way to get propane each month from next month on out UUGGHHHHH.

donnellyvj
10-13-2008, 09:13 AM
I am sure everyone is wondering what kind of winter we will have this year. From our yard (it is a hot bed of weather forecasting) it is clear that we will have a tough winter. There are acorns all over the ground.

I take it that acorns on the ground signals a bad winter?

Brad
10-13-2008, 10:28 AM
I take it that acorns on the ground signals a bad winter?
Yes, I always heard that when I was growing up.

JimS
10-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I saw a Wooly Bear catepillar that was nearly all brown this weekend. I have to look up what that means!

Brad
10-13-2008, 04:39 PM
From a reliable source: (the Internet)

"If the stripe on the woolly bear is narrow, it means the winter is going to be mild. If the stripe on the caterpillar is wide, it means the winter is going to be easy."

Sounds like the brown stripe was wide - therefore an easy winter.

spyboy
10-13-2008, 06:04 PM
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather_chatter/2006/10/25/is-old-man-winter-on-his-way/

Yes, I always heard that when I was growing up.

spyboy
10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
So what's the verdict with this weird one?

http://picasaweb.google.com/spyboy/20080916Caterpillar

From a reliable source: (the Internet)

"If the stripe on the woolly bear is narrow, it means the winter is going to be mild. If the stripe on the caterpillar is wide, it means the winter is going to be easy."

Sounds like the brown stripe was wide - therefore an easy winter.

Patrad Fischroy
10-14-2008, 04:06 PM
The secret is out, The MWO has an oak tree and a caterpillar hidden away on the summit to hone their forecasts!!! Where oh where, inquiring minds want to know:rolleyes:

iceclimber
10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Hmmm, well I guess we will see no snow yet again this year here in sunny Florida, as the acorns are not covering the ground:confused:

bacchus2
10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Acorns huh, well lots on the gound here, wooly bear with very large stripe hunkering down in the garage, to escape the winds gusting to 37 right now. Guess we will just have to wait and see. Higher wind gust here than the summit right now.
John

Brad
10-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Acorns huh, well lots on the gound here, wooly bear with very large stripe hunkering down in the garage, to escape the winds gusting to 37 right now. Guess we will just have to wait and see. Higher wind gust here than the summit right now.
John
Where is here?