PDA

View Full Version : Anyone climb any of these?

BlueDog
10-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Heard about this event (similar to STP) last year. Forgot about it until it popped up on one of my RSS feeds.

Has anyone done any of these mountains out west? For someone that's done three hikes in the Whites now, am I crazy to be thinking about attempting a 12-14k?

Summit for Someone (http://www.summitforsomeone.org/main.php?page=3)

Acrophobe
10-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Crazy? I don't think so. I'm actually planning a trip myself out to Colorado to bag a fourteener or two a little later this year. Can't wait, personally. :)

mtruman
10-13-2008, 05:51 PM
All I know is that the front page of the Summits for Someone site makes me want to head west!!!!

Richwang2112
10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Ive been wanting to head west ever since I climbed Mt. Washington for the first time.

BlueDog
10-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Hmmm, maybe an MWO Forum group to do one of these? :)

Bill O
10-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I've been on Denali, Rainier and Orizaba with no success.

Everything on that list has some sort of technical aspect. Yes you can do it, but they are all way harder than Huntington.

Lots of training. Mentally and physically.

Acrophobe
10-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Denali? Beautiful. How far did you get? And what made you have to turn around?

I've read just about every mountaineering book in two local town libraries, and I would just loove to try something like that. I'll probably have to content myself with Pikes Peak for now, though. Apparently, it's just a walkup to 14 k. Can be done as a day hike, even. It'd be neat to experience that kind of altitude.

My aunt and uncle live within sight of Mount Hood and its Pearly Gates, but have never climbed it, astonishingly.

Bill O
10-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Not very far. Spent a few nights on the glacier and made two carries to Camp I. I had a bad knee injury that I got while training and it came back early in the climb. Instead of having it get worse higher on the mountain I decided to head back.

I'd love to climb Mount Hood.

I like high altitudes. I've hiked to 19,000 and slept over 17,000ft.

Knapper
10-17-2008, 04:45 AM
I have done a few peaks in the Grand Tetons and Mt Shasta. I have done a few other 12K+ peaks in CA (since that is where I am from) but I have still yet to do Whitney. Some day, but like Mt. Washington, it is not going anywhere fast so I still have time. But, those pictures certainly make me miss home.

Bill O
10-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Some day, but like Mt. Washington, it is not going anywhere fast so I still have time. But, those pictures certainly make me miss home.

Sure, that's what they said about Mount Saint Helens.

Acrophobe
10-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Ha. Can you imagine if Washington just went *poof*? I'd be sooo depressed....

Richwang2112
10-17-2008, 10:26 AM
hahahahahaha. Bill O that was good