PDA

View Full Version : Madison, NH - Giant rocks and mini trains

spyboy
10-18-2008, 08:30 PM
I took a drive over to Madison, NH today to check out the "largest glacial traveler" according to Roadside America (I love having those POI's in my gps)

Yes, I'm weird, but I do enjoy geology, and this one one massive boulder!

Here are some photos: http://snipurl.com/4hkl9

and more info from the wiki: http://snipurl.com/4hklh

I then drove over to Silver Lake to see if the trains were running (I read about them last year, and was hoping it was still in operation, and it was/is!)

Today was the last day of the season, no fee (just taking donations, which I of course paid, need to support these little excursion trains) and they were running during the day and then a Halloween train in the evening (poor kids were gonna freeze, it's supposed to drop to 24F tonight)

Anyway, here are a few shots: http://snipurl.com/4hklt (some of the shots are geocoded, so check on the right of the page, for the "view map" function)

And info from the wiki: http://snipurl.com/4hkm2

Enjoy.

Kirk

Bill O
10-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Wow, that rock is big. It weighs about the same as 1,000,000 household cats.

On the other hand, that 10-ton locomotive only weighs as much as 2200 cats.

spyboy
10-18-2008, 09:15 PM
I know the Brits use stones for measurement, but I didn't realize we were converting pounds to f.e.'s (feline units)

K

spyboy
10-18-2008, 09:16 PM
And it's not called 1,000,000 cats, it's called a "catoplex"

Kirk

MsCntry
10-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I went over there a couple of times, and I kept telling Joe he needed to go see this massive thing. He is a procrastinator, so the 2nd time I went, I took pictures of it, but hadn't shown him yet. He looks at yours, and says that's huge!! I said " I told you that you needed to go see it!!" :rolleyes: Maybe next time he will listen to me lol.

Caffeine Addict
10-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I went over there a couple of times, and I kept telling Joe he needed to go see this massive thing. He is a procrastinator, so the 2nd time I went, I took pictures of it, but hadn't shown him yet. He looks at yours, and says that's huge!! I said " I told you that you needed to go see it!!" :rolleyes: Maybe next time he will listen to me lol.

i doubt it :D

Bill O
10-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Most people have seen and possibly held a cat so I thought it would be a useful conversion. And 1 million is such an easy number to comprehend.

Patrad Fischroy
10-20-2008, 09:03 AM

But I have two cats, one weighs 17 pounds and the other is only 11 pounds, which one do I multiply by 20,000 to get the weight of the boulder???

Patrad Fischroy
10-20-2008, 09:07 AM
And Kurt, I love your shot # 14 with all of those urgent warning signs to keep away, then there is photo #15, clearly taken well beyond those warning signs:D

Danger, Danger, Dr. Smith !!!

spyboy
10-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Those signs were just for the haunted train ride :)

KD Talbot
10-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Question: Did you have to photoshop all the graffiti off the rock? or is it really that clean now? I think the last time I was there it had the #'s 1492 four feet high painted on it.

KDT

MsCntry
10-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Question: Did you have to photoshop all the graffiti off the rock? or is it really that clean now? I think the last time I was there it had the #'s 1492 four feet high painted on it.

KDT

The first time I went there, there was some graffiti on the rock as well. I went back the second time, and it looked like they had actually sand blasted the rock clean. I think they do that every once in a while to keep it looking nice. :)

spyboy
10-21-2008, 09:42 AM
It was already painted over/scrubbed off.

I'd prefer it if the town would use the graffiti artists as the scrub brushes, not have them scrub off the graffiti but use THEM AS THE BRUSH :)

K

KDT