PDA

View Full Version : MWO App For iPhone

Bill O
10-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Yes I know the iphone has a full web browser. But is anyone here capable of making an iphone app for the obs website? It would be great to get all that data in a streamlined version.

Brad
10-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Bill, tell us more of what you are thinking. Are you saying to have access to the web cameras and Conditions image? Or something more?

Bill O
10-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Do you have an iPhone Brad? If not try to play with one. Take a look at the Facebook app since you are familiar with Facebook on the web. It just makes everything more manageable for the smaller interface. You don't get all the bells and whistles but you get the most used items.

Observer comments, basic webcam views, current weather data, ARVTP, daily morning report, photo journal would be my top priorities.

BlueDog
10-24-2008, 02:20 PM
I've got the dev kit for iPhone apps on my system and a couple folks in my office have built stuff. I'll see if I can pick their brains.

spyboy
10-24-2008, 02:24 PM
You're on a Mac I'm assuming? I haven't found an SDK for Windows (hoping I just missed it, and it DOES exist)

Kirk

I've got the dev kit for iPhone apps on my system and a couple folks in my office have built stuff. I'll see if I can pick their brains.

Brad
10-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Do you have an iPhone Brad? If not try to play with one. Take a look at the Facebook app since you are familiar with Facebook on the web. It just makes everything more manageable for the smaller interface. You don't get all the bells and whistles but you get the most used items.

Observer comments, basic webcam views, current weather data, ARVTP, daily morning report, photo journal would be my top priorities.
Ok, I understand. You want a client that presents some of the key content of the MWO web site in a format that works on the small screen.

Bill O
10-24-2008, 03:07 PM

If you look at a few apps you'll see that most of the icons are standardized. I think its pretty easy if you know what you are doing. Looks almost like a wysiwyg process.

BlueDog
10-24-2008, 03:19 PM
It might be fairly straight-forward if we are just pulling content from the website into a more iPhone friendly format.

I can see a good use would be the gadget-freak hiker (like myself) that might have the phone, and could use it to check last minute conditions moments before putting foot on the trail.

My SDK is an older version. I'm installing the latest one as I type this and will see what I can do.

Spyboy, yeah, I'm on a Mac. Don't know about a windows version of the SDK. All of our developers are on Macs now. I can hunt around to see if I can find anything.

Brad
10-24-2008, 03:50 PM
I have several key things for the MWO site just set up in my browser favorites on my cell phone. Each of the web camera images - the conditions image - the forum - the Fotki archive site Whats New page - and a New England radar map. Then as long as I have a connection I can check these out.

I found out the morning the mechanic working on my car in NC checks out the MWO site camera images every day! So, I showed him to wonderful Ravines view right then on my phone.

BlueDog
10-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Who is the Admin/Developer for the MWO website?

I'm curious to know if we could get a feed for things like the Current Conditions. If an outside app is developed it'd be nice to be able to access those sorts of things.

Brad
10-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Who is the Admin/Developer for the MWO website?

I'm curious to know if we could get a feed for things like the Current Conditions. If an outside app is developed it'd be nice to be able to access those sorts of things.
For much of that Mike D is the key person I have talked with. His forum profile is at
http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/member.php?u=54

mtruman
10-25-2008, 09:34 AM
The initial word when the iPhone was introduced was that there was no SDK planned for Windows. Not sure if things have changed recently.

h2oeco
10-25-2008, 10:44 PM
"Hobbes" (forum name) aka [###] is one of the web designers/developers for MWO, and is one of the owners of the company that develops/maintains the site.

hobbes
10-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Guilty :waves:

However new features (and changes to existing ones) need to be approved by Obs staff. Scot et al do read the forums and should be aware of requested features, and this request will likely be revisited once the new site updates (http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4275&p=25258) are rolled out.

Bill O
10-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Maybe time would be better spent creating a mobile version of the website. That would work across all mobile phones, not just the iPhone. From that point anybody who wants can create an iPhone app.

Using Facebook again as an example. There is the full facebook.com website. Then there is iphone.facebook.com which is obviously made to fit the iPhone perfectly. In addition if I go to facebook.com from my iPhone I am automatically redirected to the iphone version. Lastly, I can download the Facebook App. From what I can tell its identical to the iphone version of the website.

h2oeco
10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I like the idea of a "mobile" version of the MWO site. Doesn't need to be fancy - maybe just current conditions, text forecasts, webcam images, etc. - things that are updated frequently. Weathertap.com, a radar/satellite site, offers a mobile version of their site that works well on Blackberrys, iPhones, etc.

Brad
10-27-2008, 11:48 AM
I like the idea of a "mobile" version of the MWO site. Doesn't need to be fancy - maybe just current conditions, text forecasts, webcam images, etc. - things that are updated frequently. Weathertap.com, a radar/satellite site, offers a mobile version of their site that works well on Blackberrys, iPhones, etc.
Ha, I sent an email off my cell phone yesterday with this suggestion to Mike D. It would be nice to have a www.mountwshington.org/mobile page - or the style sheets know I am coming in with a cell phone and present a skinny version of the site that works well for a cell phone browser.

I would focus on Comments, Conditions, each web camera image and maybe forum. Those are the ones I have bookmarked on my cell. Maybe the summit forecast would be good too.