10-31-2008, 05:34 PM
I dunno, is that in his contract? :)

K

Brad
10-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Maybe a cat cam?

h2oeco
10-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Actually, I have one of those (sort of)... Doubt Marty would tolerate it though...

subnursejoyce
11-06-2008, 04:22 AM
I asked my cat about this and she said that ALL cats want to be photographed regularly because they are all naturally georgeous. Marty would probably agree.

Moxie
11-06-2008, 08:54 AM
http://a02-b02.mypicturetown.com:80/P2PwebCmdController/cache/.iVTkEAOeyC*widri0UZ5yKLCT%3DM%3D%3DfxNK*D-0DLif%26hhqPgqV9U62LqmMj0S*I/item.JPG?rot=0

Taken during my volunteer week in August. I think he liked posing.

mtruman
11-06-2008, 09:13 AM
http://a02-b02.mypicturetown.com/P2PwebCmdController/cache/*SqAHApH.Mx3Ib%262lBRGmGXel-fJZZ5f2I0JdRW-C3tUQOP8hmcmBQoG%3DB%3D9/item.JPG?rot=0

Taken during my volunteer week in August. I think he liked posing.

Nice picture, but it wasn't showing up in your post. If you copy the URL between the IMG tags and paste it into the browser address line it works fine.

Moxie
11-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks, Mark. I'm trying to figure out the image thing. Any tips would be appreciated.

Brad
11-06-2008, 09:31 AM
I figured the rotation tag after the .jpg was the issue. but, that does not work either.

Brad
11-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Assuming it is okay with Moxie, I added the image to the Animals album on the http://public.fotki.com/mwo site. Here it is. great picture!

http://images42.fotki.com/v1373/photos/1/1002902/5763933/item-vi.jpg

Moxie
11-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks, Brad. Definitely ok with me. I work on the picture thing so more when I not supposed to be working.

RI Swamp Yankee
11-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Moxie, you had it correct but there is so much text in the link the forum software couldn't handle it.

Moxie
11-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Ah - thanks. How about if I convert link to a "tinyurl"?

Moxie
11-06-2008, 12:55 PM
http://tinyurl.com/6gbovb

Sorry to sort of hijack the tread. Thanks for the tips. The tinyurl seems to work. Credit for this pic of Marty goes to my co-voluteer, Del

Moxie

MsCntry
11-06-2008, 03:34 PM
I never got to see a really good picture of him, he is gorgeous!!! Great pics thanks for sharing!! :)

Patrad Fischroy
11-06-2008, 04:26 PM
That first closeup is one of the best that I have seen so far. Most pictures seem to have too much glare from a flash or are not so clear. Very nice.

mtruman
11-06-2008, 05:22 PM
That first closeup is one of the best that I have seen so far. Most pictures seem to have too much glare from a flash or are not so clear. Very nice.

I have to agree. Closeups of black cats aren't easy to get right and this one is awesome. I really like the one of him outside in his "natural habitat" as well though. Thanks so much for sharing these Moxie.

billysinc
11-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Here's a couple I took back in August

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/3009299150_540bf24d32.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/3009304216_66baccb968.jpg?v=0

Brad
11-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Can I add these to our MWO Fotki site too?

billysinc
11-06-2008, 07:21 PM
absolutely

KD Talbot
11-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Great pictures. The ones in this thread are some of the best I've seen. haven't met him in person yet. No hurry. If he's there as long as Nin was I can bide my time.

KDT

Alpine
11-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Great pictures. Marty almost looks like he's hissing at something off to his right in that picture sitting on the rocks. Was the fox nearby?

All of the cats (except poor Jasper) seem to have one iconic photograph that sells on postcards and refrigerator magnets year after year. There's Inga covered in rime, and Nin outside with the tower looming behind him. I wonder what Marty's picture will be. I'm guessing a picture on a foggy day in summer. It must be difficult to bring out detail with the dark fur contrasted against snow.

MsCntry
11-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Great pictures. Marty almost looks like he's hissing at something off to his right in that picture sitting on the rocks. Was the fox nearby?

All of the cats (except poor Jasper) seem to have one iconic photograph that sells on postcards and refrigerator magnets year after year. There's Inga covered in rime, and Nin outside with the tower looming behind him. I wonder what Marty's picture will be. I'm guessing a picture on a foggy day in summer. It must be difficult to bring out detail with the dark fur contrasted against snow.

Actually it looks like he is panting on a hot day, or after a long hike with one of the crew :)

subnursejoyce
11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
What beautiful pictures of Marty! I especially love the one where he is in his bed with those great green eyes glowing.

RI Swamp Yankee
11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Nice pictures of Marty the "rockclimber". Thanks

hmmm .. but can he rappel :rolleyes:

Alpine
11-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Actually it looks like he is panting on a hot day, or after a long hike with one of the crew :)

It wouldn't surprise me if Marty turned into a hiking cat. Nin used to follow the crew on hikes sometimes. One time he followed two people all the way to Mount Clay and back, meowing pitifully if they went too fast, as if to say, "Wait for me!"

Bretton Woods Brat
11-08-2008, 06:17 AM
Acting proud, climbing the bunk beds like a Monkey!
Taking a break, allowing me to manicure his claws.... check out the smile.
King Of The Bunks.
"ok, you can pet me now"
Showing off.
Getting back late from his hike, good thing he remembered his Headlamp!
Last, but not least, his favorite spot. Check out the paw. "Power to the Kitties"

TrishandAlex
11-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks for posting such great pictures. Love the headlamp shot!!

KathyC
11-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Alpine:

Back in October Brian Clark wrote a story about Marty following him to one of the huts in the observer comments. It was quite and adventure for him.

I took these pictures of Marty when I was up there 3 weeks ago. He didn't look too happy about being woken up by Mike so I could meet him and give him his goodie bag. My Pictures don't do him justice, but it was a thrill for me...:D

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa229/Shmurfone/th_MOV00507.jpg (http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa229/Shmurfone/?action=view&current=MOV00507.flv)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa229/Shmurfone/DSC00508.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa229/Shmurfone/DSC00509.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa229/Shmurfone/DSC00510.jpg

Alpine
11-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Back in October Brian Clark wrote a story about Marty following him to one of the huts in the observer comments.

Thanks for pointing that story out. I'd missed it, and that's a terrific story. It sounds like Marty was the perfect choice to fill Nin's shoes. Which reminds me, I should really go visit Nin. He's only a mile or two away. I don't think Nin ever made it down to Lakes of the Clouds. He did like to follow me around doing obs, though, including sometimes up to the Cold Room. I was always a little nervous watching him come back down that ladder, hopping from rung to rung, but somehow he managed it.

Do Danny and Homer still work at the state park? I vaguely remember one or the other of them telling a story about Inga disappearing one day and then showing up with the caretaker down in Tuckerman Ravine.

Knapper
11-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Do Danny and Homer still work at the state park?

There is a Danny that still works for them on a seasonal basis. Homer, no, not for a while.

Charlie
11-09-2008, 08:29 AM
There is a Danny that still works for them on a seasonal basis. Homer, no, not for a while.

not to hijack this thread

do the park people work the same shift as you do

is there just one person on for them over the winter

and last do you think there is a waiting list for this job in the parks dept

Brad
11-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Go for it Charlie!

KD Talbot
11-09-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm not qualified to answer, but I can tell you what I've observed.

"do the park people work the same shift as you do?"

No, they switch off about every 3rd day.

"is there just one person on for them over the winter?"

If you mean one at a time, then yes, usually there is just one on at a time. I'm sure there are circumstances where they use two or more.

"and last do you think there is a waiting list for this job in the parks dept.?"

Yes, you come in right after me. :D Seriously, in this economy I don't think there are going to be too many openings in the State Park. I'm not trying to discourage you or anyone, but it is what it is.

KDT

Knapper
11-09-2008, 05:08 PM
KD touched upon most of the answers but I thought an "official" answer should also be done. The information I am providing is for winter only, the answers are a bit different for summer. So...

not to hijack this thread Wait, a thread going off topic? That never happens in here (note: I am being sarcastic).

do the park people work the same shift as you do No, they come up and down far more frequently than we do. At times they stay one day, others, four. It depends on the weather and scheduling of available employees. Typically though, three days, two nights is the norm for the state park employees.

is there just one person on for them over the winter No, there is a pool of four (and a fifth in the spring/fall) that rotate. There is no set scheduling. It is rotating and random. So during our shift, we will work with three different people typically but our next shift, we may get an entirerly different set of three.

and last do you think there is a waiting list for this job in the parks dept There is no waiting list that I know of, but they do not cycle through very many, unlike the obs. Since I got here, only one has retired, so that means only one has been newly hired. The three that have been here since I have been have been here for years. When they do hire, it is like any govenment job. It is open to the public but they do like in house either with summer parkers, or within the states park employees. So, your odds of getting hired by the obs would be better than that of a year round state employee. But even the odds of getting hired here are fairly low.

Charlie
11-09-2008, 05:32 PM
thanks for the response back

do they use the same snow tractor

Knapper
11-09-2008, 06:01 PM
do they use the same snow tractor

No, they use their own Bombadier snow tractor. Like us, they will be getting a newer model to use this winter as well. When they come up, they come up in a pair (two of the four in the group) with one operator and one passenger. Then one is dropped off and one picked up and two return to the base.

Charlie
11-09-2008, 06:33 PM
thanks for all the info

KathyC
11-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Ryan, is Marty enjoying the toys that I left for him?

I bought the ones that my cat plays with most. Mine especially loves the mouse on a string, sometimes I here it squeeking in the middle of the night..

Alpine
11-09-2008, 11:54 PM
"and last do you think there is a waiting list for this job in the parks dept.?"

Yes, you come in right after me. :D

Part of me has always wished that hiring at the state park and Obs was done this way: Once the applicants are winnowed down to three or four promising candidates, those three or four people are invited to sit in the Obs living room and wait. Whoever's lap Marty sits in first gets the job. :)

Knapper
11-10-2008, 05:24 AM
Ryan, is Marty enjoying the toys that I left for him?

I bought the ones that my cat plays with most. Mine especially loves the mouse on a string, sometimes I here it squeeking in the middle of the night..

Kathy, I am not sure which toys are yours but by the sounds of the squeeky mouse, I know that is one toy he, and the observers like playing with. Marty is enjoying all the toys he has gotten. The only thing we can't get him into are these bowls with a ball in them. I like to play with them by spinnin the ball in them really fast but the cat will have nothing to do with them once I put it down with the ball still spinning. We have two different types and nothing. But like I said, all other toys, especially when string is attached is the cats meow. So thanks to you and everyone else for the toys. Although he is the most spoiled cat I know when it comes to treats/toys.

Part of me has always wished that hiring at the state park and Obs was done this way: Once the applicants are winnowed down to three or four promising candidates, those three or four people are invited to sit in the Obs living room and wait. Whoever's lap Marty sits in first gets the job. :)

Alpine-if we did this method of waiting for Marty to sit in a lap, I think the canidates would eventually decide it isn't worth it and leave as the cat is not even remotely a lap cat. I have seen him briefly try a lap or two but moves on in less than a minute and even then, it was only Brian and no one else.

MsCntry
11-10-2008, 04:49 PM
The only thing we can't get him into are these bowls with a ball in them. I like to play with them by spinnin the ball in them really fast but the cat will have nothing to do with them once I put it down with the ball still spinning. We have two different types and nothing. But like I said, all other toys, especially when string is attached is the cats meow. So thanks to you and everyone else for the toys. Although he is the most spoiled cat I know when it comes to treats/toys.

Alpine-if we did this method of waiting for Marty to sit in a lap, I think the canidates would eventually decide it isn't worth it and leave as the cat is not even remotely a lap cat. I have seen him briefly try a lap or two but moves on in less than a minute and even then, it was only Brian and no one else.
Both of our animals are spoiled with toys and treats LOL. Our cat won't play with the plastic thing with the balls in it either. We can't keep kitty toys anyway, the dog eats them. when I did buy them for her she would play like less than a minute and walk away. She is a hoodini with a snap on collar too lol. I put it on, I go back later and she has it unsnapped and on the floor lol. The dog however has babies, ropes, and balls galore and he plays with them all!! We are fitting him for a saddle when he is fully grown. That way we can sell pony rides LOL. OH YES!! Darwin, the cat here, isn't a lap cat either. She will lay beside Joe until the dog comes around, but I am the only one who can hold her and carry her around lol. Then that is only for 2 minutes before she gets antsy. Marty does sound like a lover though.:)

Brad
11-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Ed O'Malley contributed several additional Marty pictures he took when up for STP 2008. They have been added to http://public.fotki.com/MWO/favorites/summit-cats/

subnursejoyce
11-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the photos in this link! It was a joy to see the mountain animals. You should ask LL Bean to make snow boots for Marty.

Alpine
11-11-2008, 08:56 PM
if we did this method of waiting for Marty to sit in a lap, I think the canidates would eventually decide it isn't worth it and leave as the cat is not even remotely a lap cat. I have seen him briefly try a lap or two but moves on in less than a minute and even then, it was only Brian and no one else.

I heard someone describe Marty as "less affectionate than Nin," but hadn't realized it was to that extent. Still, I guess that proves that Brian was a good hire. Nin the lap cat would make the decision very quickly. In fact, he'd probably go to whoever was wearing EMS or LL Bean windpants. If Nin had a choice between jeans and windpants, he'd go for the windpants (as long as they hadn't just come in from the cold) every time.

This method wouldn't have worked with Jasper, either. Poor Jasper would go hide in one of the bunkrooms until all the strange people looking for jobs went away.

Jasper and Nin overlapped briefly. Nin had the place to himself when he first arrived, because Jasper was sick and down in the valley at the time. But a few weeks or months later Jasper came back. At first, Nin was terrified of this big orange intruder. For the first week, Nin refused to go downstairs where Jasper was lurking. We had to bring a food bowl up to the weather room. But they got used to each other after a while. Sadly, it didn't last long. Jasper was diabetic, and went back to live in the valley after a few more months on the summit. I wonder if there's a picture of Jasper and Nin together anywhere. That would be a very rare photo.

MelNino
12-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Marty is so gorgeous! :D

Sorry if this was mentioned in thread, but does he have a Cat Dancer? Its the best cat toy....its a piece of wire with cardboard on it.....my kitties go crazy for it :)