PDA

View Full Version : Please vote

Mike D
11-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Pick the swingiest state you claim domicile in and vote! Don't make us ban you :-) That is all.

Mike

PS - Watch the McCain SNL skit, it's funny.

Brad
11-04-2008, 03:15 PM
I already voted in Maine. Can I do it now in NC? I think they might object.

TrishandAlex
11-04-2008, 04:07 PM
We voted. I told my husband who to vote for in each category before we went in, hopefully he obeyed me. :p

KD Talbot
11-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I didn't spend 36 months overseas for you to sit home on election day.

Vote early. Vote often.

Al Capone

KathyC
11-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I just got done voting...:D

spyboy
11-04-2008, 07:22 PM
It's pretty scary that it was easier to vote in New Hampshire, than in New Jersey.

In NJ we had the booth with the curtain, the big slot machine lever and all the little switches you had to flick, then when you're done, you pull the handle, and it resets everything and opens the curtain. I think they were made in the 1950's :)

In NH we had a simple card stock paper with all the candidates and you just had to color in an oval, like the old scantron tests in school (except these had more space and weren't confusing). Then you take it and put it into the machine that scans it and you're done.

Kirk

Charlie
11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
It's pretty scary that it was easier to vote in New Hampshire, than in New Jersey.

In NJ we had the booth with the curtain, the big slot machine lever and all the little switches you had to flick, then when you're done, you pull the handle, and it resets everything and opens the curtain. I think they were made in the 1950's :)

In NH we had a simple card stock paper with all the candidates and you just had to color in an oval, like the old scantron tests in school (except these had more space and weren't confusing). Then you take it and put it into the machine that scans it and you're done.

Kirk

we had the same machines here and they changed them 3 years ago .
we went to vote at 5:30 pm and were out by 5:40 :D nice to live in a small town

TrishandAlex
11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
We had a paper ballot that you drew a line across to vote. THe line went from one side of the paper to the other, with the candidate's name written on both sides. Really clear, very simple to use. When you're done, you put it into a machine that doesn't scan the card right away, but instead makes a single count (as in, there are x number of ballots in this machine). They then take those ballots elsewhere to scan them in.

MelNino
11-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Took the day off from work, voted at 7am. CT's ballot was very simple, and at first I wasn't sure about using scantrons.....but everything (so far) seemed to have gone smoothly

RI Swamp Yankee
11-04-2008, 09:16 PM
... Don't make us ban you ......

I voted, can I stay? ;)

In Rhode Island we used to have the machines like spyboy had in NJ, now we have paper that is scanned as you insert the ballot. 957 people voted ahead of me at 5:45pm in my location. I remember a presidential election that took me 3 hours of waiting to vote using those old machines with the levers. With the new ballots I was in and out in under 10 minutes.

spyboy
11-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Seems the scantron way is the easiest.

The old "hanging chad" issue in Florida was a crappy ballot, you had to punch holes in the paper, how lame.

K

Bill O
11-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Our choke point was the tag team (combined age 207) crossing off names.

With scantron you only need one expensive machine to read the cards. Voters can take all the time they need filling in bubbles in inexpensive booths.

KathyC
11-05-2008, 04:49 AM
I'm in NJ and the machine here is OK, it's all electronic. You press the candidates and an X comes up then a big button, it goes through and resets, no large lever to pull. It took no more then a few minutes..

Brad
11-05-2008, 05:21 AM
The big discussion here in NC is you could vote early or on Nov 4th without any ID proof of who you are. Just state a name on the roll and you were in. That needs to change.

Maybe we can make it required you have to show proof of membership in MWO. That way we would have the "higher up's" in charge and the Observatory would have a pretty good income stream. All in favor say "aye".

spyboy
11-05-2008, 06:57 AM
I just had to state my name as well and they crossed it off the list. I was shocked they didn't require ID.

mtruman
11-05-2008, 07:40 AM
I just had to state my name as well and they crossed it off the list. I was shocked they didn't require ID.

Same for us in RI. Seems like the system would be a bit better by now in many respects. I was surprised to show up at the polls at 8:30 yesterday morning and have only 3 people in line in front of me. Not the same kind of record breaking turnout (in our town anyway). I'm all for the requirement for MWO membership as admission to the polling place. That is, as long as we all want to vote the same way :rolleyes:

TrishandAlex
11-05-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm all for the requirement for MWO membership as admission to the polling place. That is, as long as we all want to vote the same way :rolleyes:

Just follow my voting instructions the way my husband did and we'll all be fine. :cool:

Bill O
11-05-2008, 08:00 AM

The Constitution says we have a right to vote, but not an obligation to have ID. So you can't have both. The Nazis had national identity cards. That didn't turn out so well.

Right now you make a sworn statement under penalty of law that you have the right to vote (and you're only doing it in one place). I agree that we need to do something, but you might also have to change the constitution.

Mike D
11-05-2008, 09:58 AM
"Scantron"... isn't that where Joe Biden is from?

spyboy
11-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Well, doesn't look like we'll be seeing oil rigs up on the summit anytime soon then!

That is, as long as we all want to vote the same way :rolleyes:

Brad
11-05-2008, 06:28 PM
How about a water slide all the way down?

MsCntry
11-05-2008, 06:55 PM

I'll 2nd that!!! Wooo Hoooo!!!:D

Joe says Hell yeah!!! He 3rds that!!! LOL

spyboy
11-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Isn't that what they did on the cog with those little rail sliders (Devil's Shingles) in the 1800's?