PDA

View Full Version : Gear List

Mr Nate
11-13-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm just curious, what do you all shoot with??
:)

CHRIS
11-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I currently have a Canon G9 mainly for hiking, a Canon rebel with a 28-135 i/m lens + a 70-300 tele. and a macro lens. I am waiting for my camera shop to get in the new Canon 5D mark 2. My wife ok it:D.

spyboy
11-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Canon 40D
Canon G9 (point & shoot)
I still have a Canon Rebel XT as a backup but haven't had a need to use it.

Oh yeah, and an Olympus Stylus 770SW (waterproof point & shoot)

And occasionally my iPhone :)

And hopefully soon, a Canon 5D Mk II

Kirk

MsCntry
11-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Our newest edition:

Kodak Easyshare Z812-IS ~ 8.2 MP Digital Camera with 12x Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon Optical Zoom Lens

mtruman
11-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Panasonic DMC-FZ50
Canon A590 (point and shoot)
Fuji A500 in waterproof case (backup for bad weather)

I actually use the A590 most of the time when hiking. Almost all the photos in my TRs here were taken with that. I find that I just don't take enough shots on the trail when I have to haul the FZ50 out of the case (or even more so out of the pack and then the case) all the time.

I stick the Fuji in the under water case in my pack for multi-day hikes or rainy days just for a bad weather backup. The underwater case is overkill for hiking but I mainly got this camera to use in the kayak and it was a cheap way to go at less than $200 for the camera and case combined (and the image quality is really good).

h2oeco
11-13-2008, 05:42 PM
My main camera is a Nikon D-80, my main lens is a Nikon 18-200mm (this is the combination that I took the moon shot with).

My backup is a Canon SD800...

Ed

Orgnoi1
11-13-2008, 06:07 PM
"As my credit cards scream out for help".....LOL

Digital:
Canon 1D Mark II, 5D, G7

Infrared:
Canon Rebel XTi-EIR (650nm), Rebel XT-IR (750nm), G7-Full Spectrum

35mm Film:
Canon 1nRS

Medium Format Film:
Mamiya 645 TL Pro, 645AF

Large Format Film:
Toyo/Omega 45D - 150mm Rodenstock Lens

Brad
11-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Gee, and I thought I had spent too much on camera stuff. . .

Canon D60 (bought from my son when he moved up to the Mark I)
28-135mm IS
70-300mm IS
16-35mm Wide angle
100-500mm monster Sigma ultra-heavy
The above combination in my camera backpack is 12.0 pounds

Canon Powershot S3 IS for lighter weight occasions.

2 different tripods depending on weight and distance

Orgnoi1
11-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Gee, and I thought I had spent too much on camera stuff. . .

LOL its all my girlfriends fault...LOL

I was thinking about dumping off my 645AF as I havent shot film at all this year... well I havent shot much of anything actually... the AF would definately be good in someone elses hands... so it would get some use...

forestgnome
11-14-2008, 09:33 PM
I use a Canon XTi with a Canon IS 70-300mm lens for wildlife. I recently got a Canon XSi and attached my Sigma 24-70mm for scenics or for when I get close enough to the wildlife, as in this uncropped image...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/pbase100.jpg

It's great to have a body for each lens to eliminate changing lenses in the field. These are not pro cameras or lenses, but I like what they do for me and I doubt higher end equipment would do much for me.

Of corse, a polarizer would have been great on the above image :)

Brad
11-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Speaking of body, that body is way too close.

Orgnoi1
11-15-2008, 07:57 AM
I use a Canon XTi with a Canon IS 70-300mm lens for wildlife. I recently got a Canon XSi and attached my Sigma 24-70mm for scenics or for when I get close enough to the wildlife.....

.....It's great to have a body for each lens to eliminate changing lenses in the field. These are not pro cameras or lenses, but I like what they do for me and I doubt higher end equipment would do much for me.

Of corse, a polarizer would have been great on the above image :)

A couple things I tell people constantly would be that to spend money on glass... NOT camera bodies...the largest determining factor on a good shot (pertaining to gear) is the quality of the glass... with the same glass you can take a Canon D30 and a Canon 1Ds Mark III and to the laymens eyes it wont be a dramatic difference when you are talking a 4x6, 5x7, or possibly even 8x10 print size... Also its the photographer who makes a great picture... not the camera...

By the way... thats an incredible shot of that moose... I have never been even remotely that close to one... it must be amazing...

Mr Nate
11-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Awesome stuff, guys. Thanks! :)

I have always been obsessed with taking photos but I have never brought myself to make a serious investment - Until last week.

I really, really, really wanted to get a 5D, but unfortunately the unfriendly stock market has forced me to be a bit more cautious with money.

I settled on the Canon 450D and I plan on sinking money into two L Series Lens - 17-40 and the 70-300.

:D

mtruman
11-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Of course, a polarizer would have been great on the above image :)

A polarizer would have helped for sure - would have kept the shine off his nose !!! Surprised you didn't have a problem with him fogging up the lens! :eek:

Orgnoi1
11-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Awesome stuff, guys. Thanks! :)

I have always been obsessed with taking photos but I have never brought myself to make a serious investment - Until last week.

I really, really, really wanted to get a 5D, but unfortunately the unfriendly stock market has forced me to be a bit more cautious with money.

I settled on the Canon 450D and I plan on sinking money into two L Series Lens - 17-40 and the 70-300.

:D

You will be more than happy with that 450D... really the only thing that the 5D gives you is the ability to use "wide angle" lenses to the fullest extent of the glass... but doesnt mean you will get a better shot... 2 lenses that I have used which will mimick that on the 450D are the Sigma 10-20 and the Tokina 10-17FE... I loved the 10-20 but it didnt work as well as I would have liked on my IR cameras (my crop cameras) so I ended up giving it to my mother for her XT and bought the Tokina... which doesnt have glare issues for IR... it also is a great choice if you want the ability to shoot fisheye shots but also want a good ultrawide as on an XT-XSi at 14-17 its more like a wide angle than a fisheye... just some food for thought....

Here is a thread where a bunch of FE's and Wideangles are discussed with a bunch of comparison shots for focal lengths...
http://www.northeastfoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12448

Mr Nate
11-20-2008, 08:34 AM
You will be more than happy with that 450D... really the only thing that the 5D gives you is the ability to use "wide angle" lenses to the fullest extent of the glass... but doesnt mean you will get a better shot... 2 lenses that I have used which will mimick that on the 450D are the Sigma 10-20 and the Tokina 10-17FE... I loved the 10-20 but it didnt work as well as I would have liked on my IR cameras (my crop cameras) so I ended up giving it to my mother for her XT and bought the Tokina... which doesnt have glare issues for IR... it also is a great choice if you want the ability to shoot fisheye shots but also want a good ultrawide as on an XT-XSi at 14-17 its more like a wide angle than a fisheye... just some food for thought....

Here is a thread where a bunch of FE's and Wideangles are discussed with a bunch of comparison shots for focal lengths...
http://www.northeastfoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12448

Thanks for the response. I have actually purchased the Canon 10-22 and 24-70!

I will have them today and i will keep you posted on how they perform!

Brad
11-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Very nice. Have fun trying them out.

Orgnoi1
11-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Very cool... I havent used the 10-22... but I have the 24-70L myself and really love it... one thing I would say is that with using lenses like the 24-70L which are fairly hefty for their focal lengths... is to get a battery grip for your camera... it will help out significantly with the way the lens balance will feel on the camera...

Brad
11-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I am assuming for a heavy lens you mount the lens on a tripod - not the camera.

Orgnoi1
11-20-2008, 04:58 PM
I am assuming for a heavy lens you mount the lens on a tripod - not the camera.

Actually for the Canon 24-70L it does not have a foot for tripod mounting... usually with the Canon L-Series they are all heavy... but with the wider angles they arent *as* effected by lens shake as its wide angled...

Brad
11-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Actually for the Canon 24-70L it does not have a foot for tripod mounting... usually with the Canon L-Series they are all heavy... but with the wider angles they arent *as* effected by lens shake as its wide angled...
I was not as concerned with camera shake as with the weight. A heavy lens can pull and bend the lens mount in a camera.

Orgnoi1
11-20-2008, 05:21 PM
oh its not *that* bad... its maybe 2-3lbs...its just physically larger than most people would expect for a 24mm lens... the Canon EOS mount is pretty hefty... I have lifted my camera up a few times with a 200/1.8L on there and it didnt even feel bowed... although I dont think I would want to try that with my 500L...

Orgnoi1
11-22-2008, 07:12 AM
On the topic of gear I know we arent supposed to put up classifed ads... so I have updated my signature in case anyone is interested in a medium format rig... a VERY nice rig at that... its officially up for grabs...

Mr Nate
11-22-2008, 08:15 AM
See, I don't mind the weight of the 24-70 at all... ? I guess I'm just used to lifting heavy things, haha. :eek:

I took this yesterday when it was DARK outside. It's an excellent exposure for the situation:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3249/3049131334_09711d210c_o.jpg

Orgnoi1
11-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Thats a great shot! The deer almost looks fake... I agree that most people wouldnt think that that lens is heavy... but a lot of new photographers really look at them as heavy...LOL

We picked up a couple lumedyne lights used on fleabay so while I have shot with them quite a bit with our night shoots but that was with another persons lighting gear...

Here is one my girlfriend took last night of me using the lights... we played around for a while before it got too cold to...LOL

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/5/DSC_2840e2.jpg

Brad
11-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Mr Nate, excellent picture!!